Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-V-VOTE!!!
    Yea... We're having an election over in the UK. Labour (Tony Blair) is primed to win again, but with the vast amount of defecting to the Lib Dems (Charles Keneddy), there is a good chance they may become the main opposition. The Tories (Micheal Howard) is fucked.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To be honest, all three parties are probably as equally bad as each other. When the votes are counted, whoever wins will probably keep Britain pretty much the same as it is now, I mean nothing's changed that dramatically in political terms for decades, and it's unlikely to in the future.
    I think if people were more accepting of fourth parties then things would be better. If fourth parties were held in higher esteem then there would be more chance for variation under a new elected leadership.

Anyways, as an interesting side note, Jon pointed this out. The environment and issues such as recycling, green house gas emmission, limited fossil fuel resources etc. are some of the most important issues facing humanity in the very near future, yet they haven't been a campaign issue, or at least, have been a very, very small campaign issue. It's crazy.

Whether you believe the scare mongering (i.e. all the documentaries they show about how the world will be coming to an end etc. etc.) or not, the issues surrounding fossil fuels <u>are</u> real. People don't seem to realise that in the next few decades, there just won't be any power supply anymore, or cars, or plastic products because we haven't prepared. It's frightening.

Anyways, sorry to have gone off topic, but it peeves me off. I may start a thread on it.

Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nah, keep it in here. This thread isn't really about anything else. We do have the Green Party though. No local candidates though.

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just voted (although i wont say for who). I wish there were some better candidates.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

tony blair is kinda cute in an older man sort of way [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (i hate politics so thats my contribution) [img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IRT Buffalump: I think if people were more accepting of fourth parties then things would be better.

Time has shown democracy tends to bipartidism. What all that "people's power" delusion ends up being is one information bit every n years. All you can say is yes or no, black or white, red or blue, 0 or 1, once every n years. During your whole life, democracy will allow you to write a word of information, considering letters are at least 5 bits long?. And in every election your vote is less than a millionth of the decisive power. As most people are ignorant lambs, it's their "yes" or their "no" what wins. Power to the masses.

The environment and issues such as recycling, green house gas emmission, limited fossil fuel resources etc. are some of the most important issues facing humanity

I agree. Sadly, very few politicians give a damn, and most people is too stupid to understand the problem. Over here, only part of the right wing is environmental-aware. The others don't care, and my local leftards are not only that, but they're decisively anti-nature, removing green areas and killing trees in the city.

IRT OCB: Green Party

I don't know how is it over there (and I hope it's a real one), but in most countries, like Spain (really small) or Germany (in the governing coalition), the green party is like a watermelon: green on the outside, red on the inside.

_____
    ?: Consider ceil(log2(26)) = 5, for an alphabet of 26 letters without casing, numbers, or signs.