Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Art: What books are you reading/have you read recently?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll be getting Maddox' book as soon as it's out.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Finishing up Dracula.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love the fury with which Maddox writes his articles. I'm eager to get his book (which, if it won't qualify as the best book in the Universe, it'll fall pretty close) ^_^. Meanwhile, I'm rereading some of his articles and laughing my ass off.

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maddox has his weak points, but his harsh sincerity makes me laugh for about 75% of his articles. I wonder who'll be publishing his book considering some of the taboos he promotes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, Maddox is good for laughs.

Starting Dune.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I?m currently reading Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. The only reason I picked it up was because I had nothing better to do during fall break, and my brother left it somewhere where it caught my eye.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm thinking about re-reading Inferno by Dante as it's always been a great book IMO. I tried to read Purgatoria, and the Paradiso but Inferno is by far the most interesting and it's a very fun topic for me as its amazing how many people will be going to hell according to it ^^

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also look forward to Maddox's book.

The last thing I read was The Life of Insects by Victor Pelevin, and before that The Last Night of the Earth Poems by Charles Bukowski.

I must say I really like Bukowski's style. He's the only poet I've read and really enjoyed greatly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

BTW, for those who hadn't signed up, here's the badass newsletter issue #1 with information about Maddox' book:

Badass newsletter #1
    Since the dawn of time, man has sought to find a greater understanding of the world around him. Questions like "is there life after death? what is the biological basis of consciousness?" and "what is the title of Maddox' upcoming book?" have baffled the world's greatest thinkers for centuries, and in some cases, weeks. Though everything about this book has been kept a secret thus far, the title has actually been available for centuries now. Nostradamus predicted the coming of this book long ago with the following prophecy: A great scribe will come forth in the third millennium, His virility and penile magnitude unprecedented. He will imbue the masses with a tome of all things manly. Many faces will be rocked. Behold the first glimpse of what will come to be known as the crown jewel of western literature; the title of my book: "The Alphabet of Manliness*" When Johann Gutenberg printed the first bible with the movable-type printing press in 1450, he couldn't have known that it would be another 556 years before anything as significant would be printed again. Every letter of the alphabet stands for something manly; if it needs to be shaved, beaten, or porked, there's a good chance it'll be in this book. Update on the release date: --------------------------- In the interest of keeping this message size low, I've created a brief info page specifically for list subscribers. You must use a login and password to access it: Login: book Password: maddox062006 URL: http://maddox.xmission.com/book_info/c.cgi?u=info1 In the next email, I'll be sending out a sneak preview of the cover, and more info about the book as well as any info on book signing locations and dates. As promised, you will only receive one other email from this mailing list. However, if you're too much of a dumbass to know a good thing when you see it, you can remove yourself from this list here: [URL stripped] More info coming soon... [email protected] http://maddox.xmission.com
    <font size="2" face="Verdana,sans-serif">As you can see in the article, Maddox uses a real keyboard. I expected no less.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ October 26, 2005 11:55 AM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

Inactive Member Templar Zeratul's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've started reading The Belgariad by David Eddings lately. My friend read it and told me it was good, so I've started on it, so far I've liked what I've read.

I too am looking forward to Maddux's book, shouldbe very interesting ^^.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast