Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any takers? I just saw the trailer (you can find it on the main page of www.gametrailers.com), and i have to say, i wasnt expecting what i got. Sure, the humour is there, but the atmosphere is darker than anything ive seen from a game in a long time.

SPOILERS AHEAD ---->

Its just depressing seeing Snake (if, indeed it is Snake) having to inject himself with that serum to keep himself alive. After all, its not FoxDie he's fighting off this time, its the temporary nature of his genes; as a clone of BigBoss, he ages much faster than everyone else. Its even more saddening to see that the world is even more withered than he is, with just about everything we fought for in the last games being ravaged by war and overpowered technology.

End of Spoilers

So far, this is my most anticipated game for the PS3, with the recently announced Sonic title taking a firm second place. Hideo Kojima has admitted that this game is going to take a further 3 years to make, but these early signs suggest that when the time comes, we're really going to have something to talk about. In the meantime, we have MGS3: Subsistence to keep us amused, which has been revealed to take up 3 full DVD's (see gametrailers.com for more info on that one too).

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ September 16, 2005 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Cataferal ]</font>

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

24 hours, 15 views, and no takers? You disappoint me savvies. At least could you all write down the games your most excited about from this years TGS? For me its:

1. MGS4: GotP
    2. Unnamed Sonic title
    3. Guitar Freaks V & Drummania V

There'll be more to come, surety is mine.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. Grandia 3
    2. Sonic game whatever it shall be
    3. "Blah" the life story of an annoying, hormone raging teen(redundant?) from California

that game will kick ass and you'll all love it and give me your money ^^

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Funny to see the fourth when we haven't got the third yet. Development cycles are getting long.

I haven't played any MGS game, but judging for what I saw, I'm sorry to say I like MGS3 much better. First, the natural environments vs. Afghanistan like stuff. Doing that on the next-gen where you can do active, realistic, exuberant nature is a waste. Second, I don't want to play with an old man.

It's now clear that the next-gen will feature (virtually) Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within-grade realtime graphics though. Faces and animation are most impressive.

Finally, I don't like the fact he smokes one bit. It's a very bad idea to show that on TV, and it's much worse on games, where you control and identify with the character you play. Moronic kids see this and start getting the "smoking = cool, smoking = mature" retarded idea. If I were designing games, all the bad guys would smoke, one or two of which would be shown ill or dying because of it, and the hero would make all sorts of jokes on them regarding their impotence, stench, and poor physical condition.

As for TGS games, I haven't had time to check them out, so my list is rather short...

1. Sonic the Hedgehog

&gt;_&gt;; . However, I'm also waiting for other next-gen games: The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, a next-gen driving simulator like Project Gotham Racing 3 or Gran Turismo 5, the usual shitload of PlayStation RPGs I buy the system for (I'll be looking forwards to more Grandia, Star Ocean and Phantasia games in particular), and let's toss Shenmue 3 in for a few laughs - I still doubt that'll ever see the light of day.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, MGS3: Snake Eater came out in europe earlier this year. You can pick that up for around ?10, maybe less now, and i thoroughly recommend it. They always release a Special Edition version afterwards with tons more features, but for the case of MGS3: Subsistence, its actually quite a lot more than that (online play, original two Metal Gear games, movie version of the game). This is coming early 2006.

As for smoking, they always give players a warning that, and i cite: "Smoking is hazardous to your health", every time you select it for use. Its not just for style either, there was always a practical side to it. For example, in MGS3 you could use it to burn out leaches on your body, or use the smoke itself to see infra-red lasers. Im no fan of smoking at all, but it adds more to the game than it takes away, and fits the character perfectly. If anyone decides to start smoking as a result of it, they deserve to kill themselves anyway for being so easily influenced.

As for MGS3&gt;MGS4, i might as well agree at this stage, since we havent seen any gameplay at all. MGS3's jungle was justified, not because it looked beautiful, but because you were given unique gameplay experiences such as hunting/eating/catching (you can go for a strict fruit diet if your a vegetarian though), camouflage, or tending to any injuries you might have picked up along the way. Im thinking MGS4 will sport a similar array of unique features relevant to the location, but i also consider this location to be chosen as a result of its relevance to the story (which was inevitably going to follow this moody tangeant). Besides, im pretty sure this wont be the only location available; MGS3 took you through indoor locations, mountains and caves as well as the jungles.

Snake is old, but Kojima usually misleads us with these trailers to surprise us by something when the game arrives (Raiden for MGS2, BigBoss for MGS3). He doesnt look well at all, but again, as a future setting there couldnt realistically be any other way to show Snake, other than as a corpse. Im banking on someone else being the main character though.

Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"If I were designing games, all the bad guys would smoke, one or two of which would be shown ill or dying because of it, and the hero would make all sorts of jokes on them regarding their impotence, stench, and poor physical condition."

If you actually did that, you'd be a laughing stock.

Besides, there's more than enough stuff telling us to stop smoking, even cigarettes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is MGS4 gonna have more of the same super exciting "sit in one place for a long time to avoid getting caught" action?

---B.j.
    P.s. MGS is still the most hyper overrated game ever.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No. ^_^

Follows
    Following