Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

YEESSS! Im so happy! Digital Devil Saga is set for a european release after all this time. For those of you who arent familiar with the name, Digital Devil Saga is a self-contained spin-off of the Shin Megami Tensei RPG series. Many people, myself included, consider it to be even better than its origination. There are 2 games in the saga, both of which have become incredibly rare in the US.

But on the 30th of June, europe will get an oppurtunity to play these games. If you enjoy RPG epics like Xenosaga, do not overlook this underrated duo. Here are some pointers about it:

-Set on a distopian Sci-fi premise chronicling rivalling clans in a city called the Junkyard, each with motives to reach the fabled "Nirvana". However, their unsettled relationships are further unblanced by the presence of a mysterious light. This allows them to tranform into beasts, and gives them an insatiable desire to devour each other. The plot revolves around the political strife that enshrouds the Junkyard, and lets you decide on how to treat the other clans.

-The story was rated M (17+) in the US for "Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Language, Sexual Themes". That makes it one of the few japanese RPG's released in the US to receive this age rating, but fortunately it does all this to the end of telling a very original story.

-Each game lasts an average of 50 hours, not including sidequests.

-Publisher Ghostlight usually provide a 60Hz function. They did this for their previous release, Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call, and it should be expected for this as well.

That is all. I hope i have roused someone's interest in the series...or merely given the heads up to people who didnt know about the release. For further reading, here's a review for the first and second games in the series. This news is very surprising to me, and im pleased Ghostlight are the ones localizing it here. Pick it up while you have the chance though; this game will become rare very quickly if the US release is anything to go by.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Got both of 'em. Haven't played either one, though. Right now, I'm busy playing Magna Carta: Tears of Blood. I did play SMT: Nocturne this past summer, though. Man, that game was awesome.

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Awesome, i saw it in action recently and im picking it up tomorrow. You beaten it yet?

Im surprised this series doesnt get more limelight outside of Japan: its the third biggest RPG franchise in Japan (providing a more mature alternative to FF and DQ back since the SNES days). But then, i guess its more compelling to play a great yet unpopular RPG than an excellent yet overpopular one.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ March 21, 2006 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Cataferal ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep, beaten it. I clocked in with 200+ hours with all demons unlocked and all optional dungeons completed.

The biggest reason why the SMT games aren't that popular (at least here in North America) is because of this: hardcore religious people. Also, Atlus, SMT's publisher here in NA, doesn't distribute that many copies to begin with.

I really loved this game. It's different, love the whole dark, mature, occulty theme it has. It's also quite challenging (you'll know what I mean once you play the game [img]smile.gif[/img] ). I was actually a little sad when I entered the final dungeon.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

heh... i know the feeling, when you're about to end a game... does this game has something to see with Maken X? (if i'm no mistaken with the title, is a Dreamcast game) At least, has the same designer behind, but, judguing their website, the game looks interesting.

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*Rubs hands together*

I decided to order SMT: Nocturne (or Lucifer's Call) online to get a better deal. Only cost ?10 new with P+P from play.com, which isnt bad. I cant wait to get my teeth stuck into it.

IRT Melfice - Hmmm, im not sure... ive heard people call Maken X a mix of Shin Megami Tensei and Quake, but thats all. God knows what they mean. It was brought to the US by the same company (Atlus), but i dont know much more than that.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ March 23, 2006 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Cataferal ]</font>