Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

I love animals but as I've gotten older I've come to understand why my parents never wanted pets when I was a kid. Something about cleaning up shit all the time. Come to think of it, that's probably a pretty good argument against having kids too.

I never played Chrono Trigger, but I did finally play all the way through SMRPG last year. Never really had the patience for grinding though, back on the PS2 I would always eventually GameShark my way to victory. Diablo is fun for a bit, I did get D3 when it came out but only played through it once and haven't touched it since.

These days I find I'm mostly drawn towards the action/adventure types. TLOU, Uncharted, inFamous, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Tomb Raider, Batman, Shadows of Mordor... you get the idea. I also have a soft spot for anything along the lines of Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Dead Space 1 & 2 are some of my favorites in recent memory, and right now I'm playing The Evil Within, which is pretty good so far. I have little to no interest in online multiplayer, which gets frustrating when they try to shoehorn it into a game when I just want to play the campaign and experience the story.

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like animals a bit too much to enslave them. I also reject the notion that just because a pet is too stupid to realize its plight that it's allright to lock them in a box (a house is just a bigger box) with no say so for most........... basically their entire lives. Coincidentally, I gladly eat meat cuz fuck animals and abhor PETA shits. Speaking of shit, 98% of the time, owning a housecat means you maintain a box of cat piss and shit some where in your house (no amount of scooping ever gets it all out). Also, guess what guys? There's an ooocities site mirror hosting most of the old ass Granaboard site. Go check it out for a trip down memory lane.

And houndawg, what's a way to contact you if Granaboard shits itself to death?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You have a good point there. We used to lock the cats in the bedroom because we didn't trust them to not break shit when we weren't around. They would always dart out the second we would open the door. Also tried to dash outside often. I could tell they hated being cooped up. The previous owners of the house I have now had cats, and they put the litter box in the back of the laundry room and installed a cat door. I thought that was a pretty good idea, although I now have a cat door and no cat.

That GeoCities site is still sitting out there, no archive needed (for now). Found it with a quick Google search. Let me know if you ever find an archive of our old GF posts. Probably gone for good, just like everything I had on MySpace, but I can hope. I just tried checking archive.org, there are a few versions of the board archived but nothing prior to 2010 and no topics that aren't live on the site.

Oh and check your PM, both of you. Don't want those spiders getting their hands on my info.

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't have enough to check around the 'net without this board coming alive, right? .

I've got a fair idea of the games you play. Don't know if you read everything in the thread, but I'm 4th(16-bit) generation and before. Was watching vids for PS2 games the other day, trying to catch their gameplay. So don't they all start with an FMV? So I see a spot that looks like it could be gameplay, and wouldn't you know, I missed the 2 minutes of gameplay and landed on another friggin' cut scene! ...and that's just a small part of why I gave post 4th generation gaming up... Well, that may have been the main reason, but either way, duck fiscs.

Got a couple of cats now. One vomits every so often. Of course it's the super friendly one. Luckily I haven't been vomited on yet. The other one is skiddish, but breaking out of it slowly. I guess they'd been abused, I imagine that one took the brunt of it. Sometime you can't tell though, as that's the one that can't sit still when it actually wants to be in your lap, and you're just trying to watch a 7 minute Looney Tunes short.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like cutscenes, with a few conditions: 1) they don't overdo it (I'm looking at you, Metal Gear Solid), 2) I can pause and skip them if I want, and 3) you don't make me watch the same damn cutscene over and over when I fail an area, ESPECIALLY if it's not skippable. Oh, and no QTEs! But generally I think they help a game feel more cinematic.

We had a cat that was skittish, she did eventually come around a bit but never was as fully sociable as the other. Before those two we also had a cat that turned out to have some condition that caused her to sneeze constantly. I don't remember what it was but the vet gave us medicine for her. Have you ever tried shooting pills down an unwilling cat's throat? Not very pleasant for either of us.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Try shoving pills down the throat of an animal that's K-9's are the length of shot glass, and their first inclination is to bite down, the minute something they don't like the taste of touches their tongue. I'd sooner be doing it to a house cat.

I'm thinking there may be more to it for me than just disc console burnout. I think I just generally like the overall gameplay style of the 2D cartridge era better. I'm starting to appreciate challenge just a wee bit more(used to cheat my ass off to get through a good number of games). I've recently been through a PC game called The Soul of Dracula, that was a classic Castlevania clone. Just told Xel about that the other day. When I got to Dracula(he and Death are the only 2 characters used from the series, the game is very creative beyond that, and even with the 2 of them) it took me 2 hours to finally beat the bastard. I enjoyed it though. It's hard to explain, there's almost something good in the frustration of the challenge.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The hell kind of animal were you medicating?

I grew up on the 8-bit and 16-bit generation. I still have my old consoles and go back to play them from time to time. But those games can't really hold my attention like they used to anymore. I'll eventually get frustrated with the difficulty (and let's face it, a lot of the difficulty in old games was not skill-based but arbitrary and punishing) and either give up or cheat. I don't think I ever beat a lot of those games legitimately.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mastiff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2nd pic, basically. All sorts of drooly, fallen-and-can't-get-up goodness. The French one is Hooch, if you remember that movie.

A lot of older gaming is pattern recognition. There's been stuff that frustrated me as a kid, that I would go back to later as an adult, notice something I never did before, and beat. I'll take anything that'll start the actual game section when you press the Start button, over something that throws short movies at you any day.

Oh, and since I brought it up yesterday, this came up today:
    Mutant Football League revives the Sega Genesis classic - YouTube
    It'd be great if it does well enough for a remake of hockey, and then outward expansion to other sports.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; March 3rd, 2015 at 08:44 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    2nd pic, basically. All sorts of drooly, fallen-and-can't-get-up goodness. The French one is Hooch, if you remember that movie.

A lot of older gaming is pattern recognition. There's been stuff that frustrated me as a kid, that I would go back to later as an adult, notice something I never did before, and beat. I'll take anything that'll start the actual game section when you press the Start button, over something that throws short movies at you any day.

Oh, and since I brought it up yesterday, this came up today:
    Mutant Football League revives the Sega Genesis classic - YouTube
    It'd be great if it does well enough for a remake of hockey, and then outward expansion to other sports.
    Imagine what it'd be like fully developed on modern hardware? Too bad it would lose its camp and likely get all dark and Slipknotty or some stupid shit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by HounDawg07 View Post
    Oh and check your PM, both of you. Don't want those spiders getting their hands on my info.
    Dude, wayyyyyy too late. The spiders had all your info looooong ago.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by That_Bojack View Post
    Imagine what it'd be like fully developed on modern hardware? Too bad it would lose its camp and likely get all dark and Slipknotty or some stupid shit like that.
    So when I first read this, I skipped from his first paragraph about mastiffs to your reply about modern hardware. Now I'm terrified thinking about a cyborg mastiff.

The demo still looked pretty campy. It might be worth a play. I always liked, for example, NFL Blitz over Madden. Throw in some violence and gore and keep it from taking itself too seriously and it could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by That_Bojack View Post
    Dude, wayyyyyy too late. The spiders had all your info looooong ago.
    Maybe some of my email addresses, but this box is relatively spam-free and I'd like to keep it that way. Unless you're secretly a spider in disguise, and this whole thing has been a ruse all along...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    I'll give you the pattern recognition. I just watched a guy on YouTube beat Punch Out in one sitting, blindfolded. That game was nothing BUT pattern recognition (and reflexes). Still never beat it without cheating.