Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

Yeah, but I don't even have a Dreamcast anymore. That's how baldy I burned out on modern generations. I just decided I was sticking to 4th generation(barring it's disc consoles) and prior, and the Game Boy line, since Advance was practically a portable 4th gen console anyway.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, then um............... I like Subterrania. I know no one else does but I thought it rocked.

- - - Updated - - -

Yo, you like Princess Bride and Blazing Saddles?

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hell yeah. A couple of my favorite flicks since I don't know how far back really, but I think I saw both at a younger age than most would. As far as the latter is concerned, you can't go wrong with Mel Brooks(except I didn't find The Twelve Chairs all that funny, but it was still a good watch).

Edit:
    After having seen the first ep a while back, and another random one on Youtube, I saw the 2nd ep of He-Man, and it's like, that really wasn't terribly written. In fact, it actually seems to crack you up when it intends to.

Saw 2 seasons of Thundercats, also not a terribly written show, but it feels like what it attempts for jokes is something only the characters get(or is just that poor. highly imaginative as hell though).

Still, re-watching stuff to jog the ol' memory has been kinda fun.
    Last edited by midnightryder259; February 28th, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    Hell yeah. A couple of my favorite flicks since I don't know how far back really, but I think I saw both at a younger age than most would. As far as the latter is concerned, you can't go wrong with Mel Brooks(except I didn't find The Twelve Chairs all that funny, but it was still a good watch).

Edit:
    After having seen the first ep a while back, and another random one on Youtube, I saw the 2nd ep of He-Man, and it's like, that really wasn't terribly written. In fact, it actually seems to crack you up when it intends to.

Saw 2 seasons of Thundercats, also not a terribly written show, but it feels like what it attempts for jokes is something only the characters get(or is just that poor. highly imaginative as hell though).

Still, re-watching stuff to jog the ol' memory has been kinda fun.
    I wish my son was old enough to watch and understand most of Mel Brooks work but hearing the denizens of Rockridge and their racist language would likely not be a good idea for a 7 year old.

Dude, 80's cartoons could be heavy duty. Fat Albert had episodes dealing with child abduction and drugs. I haven't seen a single kids show talk about those in modern times. Filmation was the mother fuckin' bomb back in the day. He Man, Ghostbusters, She Ra, Fat Albert and more.

He Man however did show that you could solve an awful lot of problems throwing boulders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know it's not the Ghostbusters you meant, but it reminds me of Harold Ramis... He even wrote The Real Ghostbusters.

I saw the season of the 2011 Thundercats, that some people like better, before I got reacquainted with '85 Thundercats. '85 definitely had the more hardcore Mumm-Ra. MF got Tygra so addicted, he traded the Sword of Omens for another "fruit." 2011 Mumm-Ra wouldn't have the balls to try something like that.

I must have really forgotten a lot about He-Man. Nothing has really hit the I-remember-that nerve. Not much did with TC '85, but some stuff still did.

Hell, the Voltron theme brought me back, even though I can't say I remembered a whole lot about that show either.

Tried a Japanese Genesis shoot 'em up earlier, called Curse. Not bad. I was never one for shoot 'em ups to begin with, but this one might be easy enough to try to get somewhere with. You have a shield bar, so you can take some damage before you're killed in 1 hit, after the bar is drained.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hell, the Voltron theme brought me back, even though I can't say I remembered a whole lot about that show either.
    Voltron theme hype as fuck dawg.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I got through the first season of He-Man, but it was kinda weird. I can think of a few masters that never showed up once in that season. So I guess I look forward to season 2 a little more then. Still get a bit of a chuckle thinking about the end of that 1 episode when Teela "chose Ram Man to be her boyfriend," and he was all like "hey, when you got it, you got it." That was crazy too, they basically had a sold-soul-to-the-devil thing going on in that episode. Like the drug addiction in an earlier ep. Sometimes these shows writers weren't ****ing around.

Anyone ever try that translated Game Boy Color Grandia, btw? Might look into giving that a serious try myself. Think I need something to keep me busy for a while.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I got through the first season of He-Man, but it was kinda weird. I can think of a few masters that never showed up once in that season. So I guess I look forward to season 2 a little more then. Still get a bit of a chuckle thinking about the end of that 1 episode when Teela "chose Ram Man to be her boyfriend," and he was all like "hey, when you got it, you got it." That was crazy too, they basically had a sold-soul-to-the-devil thing going on in that episode. Like the drug addiction in an earlier ep. Sometimes these shows writers weren't ****ing around.

Anyone ever try that translated Game Boy Color Grandia, btw? Might look into giving that a serious try myself. Think I need something to keep me busy for a while.
    Dude, you want heavy duty story? Watch some She-Ra, she gotta put up with way more shit than He-Man. Show starts off with a two parter with Heman too and it's got all kinds of forced labor camps and oppression and prisons an shit. Hordak >>>>> Skeletor.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Skeletor's fun though. 80's villains are like watching married couples fight. Where did the fun go, anyway? Everything's too damn serious now.

I started an RPG Maker game, Exit Fate, probably just before your last response. It's a game I've tried a number of times before, but burned out(or just got this sickly "why am I still playing this" or "how much longer is this going to be" kind of feeling anyway) early on. It's a tribute to the Suikoden series, not sure why I finally had the patience to beat it this time(last night even), but yeah, that REALLY kept me occupied. There's way too much preparation though. One spot you need 4 teams(which are 18 characters you haven't been using), and even later you need 3(but the other 2 don't need to win). Items tend to get more expensive than the gambling is worth. Seriously, by end game you could gamble for 100,000, but it was quicker to just fight 3 battles in the final dungeon for that same amount.

That said, I think it did help the importance of stats to finally sink into my mind. Especially in a game where you can sort of customize them, by buying equipment to improve them. I had one character that I believe had the best defense in the game, but his accuracy sucked, so he was missing often. Once I got him stuff to improve that(and made sure he was the only one who I maxed out the "hit" stat on his weapon, which is an improvement to accuracy as well), he never missed as much, if at all, again. Perfect front-line character once that one weakness was made up for.

Still, it clocked in around 60 hours(not counting failed gamblings, or optional boss attempts or anything), and took me a week or so to beat. Really can't say I like video games taking that much time...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Skeletor's fun though. 80's villains are like watching married couples fight. Where did the fun go, anyway? Everything's too damn serious now.

I started an RPG Maker game, Exit Fate, probably just before your last response. It's a game I've tried a number of times before, but burned out(or just got this sickly "why am I still playing this" or "how much longer is this going to be" kind of feeling anyway) early on. It's a tribute to the Suikoden series, not sure why I finally had the patience to beat it this time(last night even), but yeah, that REALLY kept me occupied. There's way too much preparation though. One spot you need 4 teams(which are 18 characters you haven't been using), and even later you need 3(but the other 2 don't need to win). Items tend to get more expensive than the gambling is worth. Seriously, by end game you could gamble for 100,000, but it was quicker to just fight 3 battles in the final dungeon for that same amount.

That said, I think it did help the importance of stats to finally sink into my mind. Especially in a game where you can sort of customize them, by buying equipment to improve them. I had one character that I believe had the best defense in the game, but his accuracy sucked, so he was missing often. Once I got him stuff to improve that(and made sure he was the only one who I maxed out the "hit" stat on his weapon, which is an improvement to accuracy as well), he never missed as much, if at all, again. Perfect front-line character once that one weakness was made up for.

Still, it clocked in around 60 hours(not counting failed gamblings, or optional boss attempts or anything), and took me a week or so to beat. Really can't say I like video games taking that much time...
    Agreed on both counts. I have little patience for games that require me to micro manage. I work in an office and have two kids....... I get enough micro managing w/o having to figure if I should put skill points in wind power, or fire power, or to buy the ice sword, or the "not ice sword" kind of things. So simple retro and modern 2d non-RPG's for me I guess. Did you spend 60 hours also making the RPG Maker game? I heard those took a LONG time.

Sometimes a villain that's just into mischief is much more entertaining than the next Hannibal Lector or Dr. Doom. Thats why Mr. Mxylplix (sp can get fucked) in Superman is so great.