Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Are games the most advanced media form?

Inactive Member Psyco Sephiroth's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That depends on what you play. Some songs Ive heard are just people standing there, randomly smacking strings, whereas if you've ever seen someone immersed in a video game, they have a certain focus about them. I know Ive had that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think what Xellos meant is that it's harder to make a videogame (and it requires a very large team working for a long time with a high budget).

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 09, 2003 11:16 AM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, no way in hell does playing music take as much work as programming games and such

Inactive Member Psyco Sephiroth's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exactly. I made a tune up on the Harmonica in 3 minutes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

single handedly write something like "sweet child o mine" by guns n roses by yourself. base lines, drums parts, leads on the guitar, and the lyrics. or even something like "estranged" which has like 3 solos. theres a lot more 2-4 year periods between music albums than there are between game releases. by the way am i the only one that sees this going off topic? the arugment here is the better media, not what goes into making it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i always think about shit too slowly. if we are gonna compare the process, listen to yourselves here. you're compairing completing a game to writing a solitary song. doing the opposite would be comparing writing an album to the first stage of game. 3 minutes of harmonica huh? try adding another 7 minutes to that, adding on lyrics, adding other instruments, then doing what it takes for the completion of that 14 more times, while making all 14 sound completely different. and i'll end this post with one last though. gaming incoporates music, music doesn't incorporate gaming.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, gaming is a human need, we all play, and we all need something where we can either try things that will be useful for us in the future (the primary target of playing) or releasing stress, and such (the other target of gaming).

But gaming have evolved through time, in the begining, i guess that we all started playing with toys, action figures, dolls, make up sets, construction sets, and stuff like that.

As we evolve, we need that our "toys" offer us new features, something not so physical, but more intellectual, so, we have the videogames. But, videogames still may evolve into further, and unspected directions. (I.E. Matrix [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

So, are Videogames the ultimate media form?. It may be considered like that, but Videogames themselves will change in the future, so, either if they are the ultimate form or not, they aren't in their ultimate form.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

musics had a hell of an evolution too. people had to learn to sing long before there was instruments.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You cannot compare playing a game with creating music. You should compare playing a game with listening to music and creating music with creating games. It's harder for games in both cases.

My point was that games include music, so you can do in games anything you can do with music alone, plus a whole lot more. Games include music, it's like the rational numbers set including the natural numbers set; the later being a particular case of the former.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maybe games are a very advanced media form, but no matter how advanced something is, that in no way truly affects the quality or the enjoyment that happens. For instance, the whole lunch period today, we were trying to get a few of my friends to laugh (they bet that we couldn't make em laugh) we ended up doing the craziest, most bizzarre, and remembering some of the oldest things that happened to us (back to like the second grade!) and we ended up getting them in a matter of 10 minutes, I probably cracked up the easiest, but man it was fun. You can't tell me that is "advanced" entertainment, but it sure beat watching a movie, playing a game, listening to music, or reading a book.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast