Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, time ta settle it: Is Zelda series an RPG series?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Me and my friends aregue about this at elast once a night, so i'm looking ta see your guys opnions on it. And by RPG, I don't mean Roleplaying Game, but I mean FF style RPG

I don't see it as one, excpt for Zelda 2, Zelda games have NO RPG qualities.

You don't level up, as in you become stronger simply by defeating enemies. You gotta search for items. My friend ssay that growing up in OoT qualifies as leveling up, but that's just depseration.

You get limited magic, and even then it's just items.

You can't buy new equipment/armor, or upgrade your existing stuff. You can only find new items, RARELY.

The plot is minimum, in fact, in the older Zeldas the only story youg ot was at the end, the beginning,a nd the instruction manual, lol.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is a good question. I think it depends on your PoV; it could be an action RPG or an RPGish action game. If you mean FF style RPG, it's obviously not. But it does have many RPG elements including but not limiting to town/dungeon sructure, shops, equipment, items, magic, health/magic bars, and talk to people. It doesn't have leveling up though, which leaves you thinking. The 3D Zeldas definitely have some plot, but it's not very intense nor important, and any action/adventure game has this same plot. So I guess it's about in the middle. If I had to say either action RPG or RPGish action game, I would pick the first, but only because I have a wider concept of RPG than just FF like (which is not even action).

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 16, 2003 07:51 PM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To me Zelda is and always will be an action/adventure game,e xcept for 2 which was RPg

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#E0E0E0"><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">Originally posted by Xellos:
    And by RPG, I don't mean Roleplaying Game, but I mean FF style RPG</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really didn't get that sentence. RPG is an abbreviation for Roleplaying Game. How could it be an RPG but not be a Roleplaying Game? I guess you just mean Turn-Based Combat RPG sort of thing.

In that case, Zelda is most definitely not an RPG, in any way.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I mean, not role playign IE D&D wher eyou make your own char and such.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

no i dont think that it counts as a RPG b/c you dont get special items to make him stronger...i mean they give you new weapons but other than that those are set. i mean everyones game ends up the same pretty much...with other ones you can customize and make you character stronger in some aspects than one.. so vote no for RPG

Inactive Member PhoenixKingSizer's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think Zelda is an RPG for about the same reasons. There's no leveling up or battle system like you'd see in an RPG.

Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Simple answer: No.

Why: Very few relationships to normal RPGs. The closest thing to it (i believe) is PSO.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are some games which you don't know if they are RPGs or something else. Wonderboy 5 MonsterWorld 3 is an example of this. It's either an action+platform RPG, or an RPGish platformer. It has town/dungeon structure, equipment, items, shops, magic, bars, and people to talk to, plus standard RPG environment. It doesn't have leveling up (you can make your HP heart bar longer though). But most of the time you'll be jumping from platform to platform, killing some enemies, so I think it's more platform than anything else.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Zelda WW is an "Action" RPG, an RPG in which you play with the character, and fight the monsters in a "arcade" style. in that meaning, it has very little to see with classic PS, or FF games. the plot is minimal, or it is just limited to each town, and there is nothing more to see in other areas, but monsters, and treasure chests.

So it is an RPG, but it is not like PS or FF.

In fact RPG's are 2 kinds:

Turn based, plot intensive (FF, PS, Grandia...)
    And Action RPG, with very little story on them, (PSO ,"Zelda" , Dungeon crawlers...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast