Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm not exactly sure quite yet, but two things are sure. I wanna be around computers and english language.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

become a prosecuter for stupid lawsuits like "THAT FUZZY CATAPILLAR CAME FROM THEIR HOUSE INTO MINE! THAT'S BREAKING AND ENTERING!"

lol, and i bet you thought i was gonna benefit society...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So, what's your profession? Or what did/are/will you study for? What do you want to become in 10 years and where would you like to work?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As of right now I'm on this biochem/pre-med path. Not really sure of what I want to do but hey I'll figure it out eventually [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm an IT developer. My job is to get things done in the software department; internet technologies to be more specific. I wanted this since I was around 10 (before 10, I wanted to be first a gynecologist (you guess why, lol), then an architect). My father was one of the first to work in this field (he started back when Computer Science was not taught in most universities, before IBM PCs even existed, so he studied electronics engineering and learnt IT for himself). He taught me programming when I was 13, and since then I was positively sure this is what I wanted to do (I liked the idea since 10 anyways).

Within Information Technologies, there are three areas I like best: Internet technologies (web applications development), which is what I'm currently doing, low-level software (operating systems, system utilities, embedded systems), and games. Another important decision for everyone into IT is whether you want to be a developer (as in programming) or a technician (as in fixing things). I'm a developer. Most will say it's harder, but it's easier for me. I need to do something creative and complex to keep me entertained.

10 years from now I want to be a senior software engineer in any of these three areas. For the looks of it, I'll be working with Internet technologies. It's very hard to find a job for low-level software (see how we all use the same OS, and how there are so many free utilities? That's why), therefore I'll keep this as a hobbie. As for games, I'll always be looking for opportunities, but it's very hard to work for that outside Japan and the USA; and even within Europe, Spain is weak in this department. I have a contact I could exploit to see if I can get to work for the army though. Spain is strong in military simulators (major world armies including the USA train with ours), so that could be actually easier to get a job at than commercial games. However, chances are that I stay in the internet technologies line, as it has a lot of potential, and I'm being offered two jobs a week on that. Besides, it's generally easier than electronic entertainment, especially in the time department.

I'm lucky enough to enjoy my work. Save for deadlines, it's really fun. I value the free time I'm left with most (counting transportation), as I work to have fun and I can't have fun if I don't have time, then money and atmosphere.

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

During my secondary school days i wanted to become a novelist. Of course, i knew this was a particularly difficult vocation to aspire to, so in the meantime i aimed for journalism (with videogames as the subject craft).

Then when my 16th birthday hit, i got my guitar and started composing. It was at this point that i moved my attention moved from words to sounds, and wanted to compose music for videogames instead of just writing about them. This route is probably slightly riskier than the overpopular journalism/novelist ambitions, but i think i'll enjoy myself more this way, win or lose.

Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Artist. I want to make people laugh. I want to create things that are so talked about, people will think it's over-rated until they see it.

Seeing people happy is whats most important to me. Kinda makes me look forward to a major war with a home front. Just to be a part of the rush of when it ends.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a software engineer for about 8 years now. I currently do a lot of work as a Java web application developer.
    Like Wiseman I share his 'hate' for Internet Explorer and think it is responsible for costing billions of euro's each year by wasting the time of web developers.

In the future I would like to continue to work as a software engineer, possibly in combination of leading a small team. And I finally would like to be able to build some cool and useful products that only exist in my head now [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and I want to keep working with Java because it is the best professional development platform there is.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ October 05, 2005 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Smelly Cat ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

bum, lookin into driving heavy machinery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast