Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is just a start and again is wide open for suggestions and comments.

1) How long have you played EQ?
    2) Is this your main char?
    3) How many alts do you have?
    4) How often do you play EQ?
    5) What days do you most often play?
    6) What time zone are you in?
    7) Have you been in a guild before?
    8) Why did you leave?
    9) Why do you want to join LDK? (Explain what it means to be a family oriented guild).
    10) Have you visited our website and read the rules? (If website is down, provide a brief listing of key rules.)
    11) Can you abide by those rules?
    12) Can you participate in Sunday night raids?
    13) Most of our mains are higher level characters that you may not be able to group with. How do you feel about that?

And so on...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I am not an officer but this was what I did when I was a tdc officer.

Started with a nice greeting and a simple question, like how are you today?

first of all I started the interview with, a question about what is your interest toward the guild? do you know this is a family oriented guild that has a raid optional on sundays? (yup tdc raided sundays also hehe) tho I never asked playing experience or number of alts, i found that trivial. I did asked them about the toon being their main, their play time, time zone, I told them the rules, then i would start chatting with them for a few (you can learn much from just a few minutes of conversation =) ) after that I would ponder the answers, I would talk to the leader or seek the opinion of another officer. And then tell him yes or no in a not to blunt way. and yes I would check lvl ,race,class, (TDC was an evil only guild at first) if he was anon I would ask him hehe. But little advice dont go at them to do an interview like a phone automated machine lol, joke with them, chat with them, at the end you can pretty much judge the person.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When I was interviewing (and getting interviewed by) Garza I felt like I struck gold for two reasons: I could tell from his response that he was interested in making sure he was going to like this guild and stay for a long time..and I think he described pretty much what LDK is!

Here is his response to the question "What are you looking for in a guild?" :

---------------

"Well theres several things Im looking for really. Im not sure if I will find em all in one guild but I can hope )"

"first I am looking for a guild that is fairly well established."

"a guild who knows what they are about and the direction they're moving into"

"I dont want some big time raiding guild because I been there done that and I dont like it"

"But I don't want a guild for a glorified chat channel either"

"I do want one thats active and does sh**"

"I would prefer a fairly small guild."

"However with enough people so I have people to play with, after all this is a game."

"I want a guild where it the guild takes care of its own, by doing things together."

"There is alot of content out there that people dont even do anymore that can really help gear up a guild while having fun together."

"ntov, st, ssra, ect"

"These zones are basicly ignored now but are fun still also."

"On that note Im looking for a guild who although established is still kinda young in where its going, because some large raiding guild will never be into doing things like that."

"Looking for quality not quantity type thing."

"Be cool if the guild as a unit can gear up and move together, advancing together and learning together."

"A tight knit group makes the game fun."

"And thats pretty much it I suppose."

--------------

Yes that is it...I really feel this is what LDK is like. Anyway, I'll stop eating up space.. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1) How long have you played EQ?
    2) Is this your main char?
    3) How many alts do you have?

I can understand how these could be considered relevant....but how relevant? As Kerr said we don't want to be a monotone machine and we should drop as many (pointless) subjunctive questions as possible.

EDIT: I can see the char being main relevant..especially with how the rules are set up.

4) How often do you play EQ?
    5) What days do you most often play?

These could be combines. "Can you describe how often you play EQ? (Generally like what days and time)"

6) What time zone are you in?

This would be moot..so long as they give us generally what days maybe even what times we can find them on around then time zone seems a little insignificant.

7) Have you been in a guild before?
    8) Why did you leave?

I think these are special case questions because of course they're only asked if they're not currently guild tagged. There should be guilded questions of this..Example: "Why do you want to leave your guild?"

9) Why do you want to join LDK? (Explain what it means to be a family oriented guild).

Bingo!

I don't know we should make them describe what a family oriented guild really...I think maybe a better question to ask is "What are you looking for in a guild?"

10) Have you visited our website and read the rules? (If website is down, provide a brief listing of key rules.)
    11) Can you abide by those rules?

Maybe we don't have to ask these..could just somewhere in the interview to suggest that the person interested in joining checks out the website rules BEFORE joining to make sure they're comfortable with how things will be run and what they're getting into...and could double check and ask "Can you abide to these?" mebbe..

12) Can you participate in Sunday night raids?

Answerable by "when do you play?" so could delete this one.

13) Most of our mains are higher level characters that you may not be able to group with. How do you feel about that?

Bingo!

This is good if the person is 40ish and they're trying to get in past the 50 req...actually level 50ish people should be made aware of this, too.

OTHER COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS:

*To recap what Kerrir said, use icebreakers! How are you doing today? Chit chat a little from there even..let them get to know you--that's an example of what LDK is like; this is the quality that sets us apart from other guilds. We have personality!

*LDK site should describe what kind of guild LDK is.

*Officers should be able to describe LDK's atmosphere to the person getting interviewed. Officers should also be fairly familiar with the rules (the rule lists given to each officer will help with this).

*Interviews should really be a 2 sided conversation to avoid being like an interrogation! Member candidates should be encouraged to ask any questions about the guild..once again Officers should be capable of answering questions about our policies, atmosphere, ect.

*I highly suggest that candidates come from groups. This really helps with the whole issue of inviting newbies IMO; in a group you can get a fairly good idea of how they interact with people and how well they play their character...Remember guys, quality, not quantity.

*An officer should NOT immediately invite someone because an LDK member says "Soandso is interested in joining"! ...we NEED to ask the member if this was just a random tell from someone they've never met, or if they think this person is a suitable member for LDK or not (if the tell came from a group-mate they could warn us if they are bad apples) Hopefully members will use their best judgement and help us weed out unsuitable members. Should a member candidate pass this small test first, THEN it's time to interview.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 06, 2006 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Kayeotic Bladesiren ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great suggestions, guys. I like Kerrir's interview structure better than mine. I think that is a better approach to an interview. Anyone is welcome to redot these...I just posted to get the ball rolling.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

though I kinda all ready did this..just to make it easier to read, here's the rules I liked/would like asked.

**Hi, how are you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    *(if they're unguilded) Have you been in a guild before?
    *If so, why did you leave?
    *(if they're guilded) What makes you want to leave your current guild?
    *What are you looking for in a guild?
    *What makes you interested in LDK?
    *Is this your main?
    *Most of our mains are higher level characters that you may not be able to group with. How do you feel about that?
    *Generally, around what times are you able to play EQ? (Days and times)
    *Have you checked the guildwebsite and read the guild rules?
    *(if they have looked)Do you feel you can abide by them?
    *Do you have any questions about LDK?

**The person getting interviewed should also be thanked..thank them for their time, listening to what we have to say, and considering LDK as a possible home.

...throughout the interview officers should respond to their responses or comments by telling them about what LDK is like or giving them general information, like we raid on every Sunday at 6pm, we're hoping to expand and do more raids, our mains are mostly high level, as mentioned before..and so on.

EDITO: Erm and of course if they all ready answer a question before you get a chance to ask it...then don't ask it again LOL. That'd be kinda cheesey.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 08, 2006 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Kayeotic Bladesiren ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bump for this topic since it was mentioned in my "Consider.." topic that some recruits feel like they just have to pass a test (the interview) to get in to LDK. And as Ginlas said this is not the impression we wanted to give lol.

So blaah I think to remedy this...well 4 things.

1) Less questions.
    2) We shouldn't try to stretch the interview and try to make it last 20 minutes or whatever. If it only lasts 5 or 10 or suchandsuch minutes..it doesn't matter. What matters is that we get a sense of what the person's attitude is like, especially towards guilds and what they want in one.
    3) (I don't know if you guys really do this..) Don't try to explain the Inactive policy or our Probation policy to possible recruits unless they're showing interest in joining us or if they're about ready to get invited into LDK..telling them the more detailed stuff about LDK is kinda pointless to add in unless they're considering us seriously.
    4) Uh..I also think it's nice idea to try and talk a little bit before actually starting the intview, and when it's done thank them for their time. And I still support having a standard set of questions that every officer could/should have a copy of..

Sooo...here are the questions I figure are the most important to ask. The ones with ** are questions that I think can be important to ask but are also kinda extra because some of them might all ready be known and others are circumstantial..yeah, I tried to narrow them down a little more.

Hi, how are you?
    **Generally, around what times are you able to play EQ? (Days and times)
    **(If they're unguilded) Have you been in a guild before?
    **If so, why did you leave?
    What are you looking for in a guild?
    **What makes you interested in LDK?
    (After explaining the basic rules of conduct) Do you feel you can abide by them?
    **Most of our mains are higher-level characters that you may not be able to group with. How do you feel about that?
    Do you have any questions about LDK? (Tell them about LDK in general)

So what if this is pretty close to my last post and I'm just repeating things.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's general-ish info I wrote up about LDK hehe..if you guys need/want help on what to say. Again at the rules the ones with * are the ones you'd explain to the person getting interviewed IF they're showing interest in joining LDK or are about ready to get invited. And as always please feel free to post and add in your own comments.....

-------

BASIC LDK TUDE:

Many members are warm and friendly and like to help when available.

We like to keep chat clean-ish. Some members have children and we respect that.

We also respect that RL comes first and by no means will any member be punished if something comes up. We are NOT a strenuous raid guild nor do we plan to become one.

Our main goal is to work together, strengthening our skills to adventure and conquer the more challenging encounters and dangerous lands.

RECRUITS:

Required level: 40. Exceptions can be made.

Want members who are competent and play relatively regularly.

Want members who like adventuring for fun (who realize encounters won?t always yield uber lewt), who look forward to working as a part of a team to attain not only their own goals but help others as well (they aren?t the center of the universe), and who are looking for a permanent home (we want members that will stay)

BASIC LDK INFO:

Leader: Gaelaiel

Officers: Ediena, Kayeotic (Muyah), Ginlas, Delebe (Nanners), Conred, Sunnydaze, Mumadil, Nymer

Hoping to build our army. Raid on Sundays starting at 6pm and (normally) end at around 11pm EST. Meeting point is the Nexus. Tuesday/Thursday mini-raids (normally) starting around 6pm EST. Groups can be made any time during the week (of course), assuming the members are on and ungrouped.

Members in LDK: 30+
    Raid turnout: 15-20

Become most active starting at around 4pm-6pm EST

Capabilities: Luclin Boss mobs, Planar Progression, 1.0 and 1.5 epics, PoR quests, HoT, some OoW, DoDH, PoR, and PoP encounters.

Goals: Bigger Planar named, 1.5?s, Vex Thal, Veeshan?s Peak, Emperor Ssra, DoN progression and tougher OoW, DoDH, and PoR encounters.

BASIC RULES:

Minimum level for membership is 40. Exceptions can be made.

Do not use the ?ANONYMOUS? tag. It hides your Guild label and your location from the Guild. Use the ?ROLEPLAY?.

Members on probation cannot remove items from the Guild bank unless a Guild Banker approves.

III. RULES OF CONDUCT

If you have any complaints, be it about a specific member or anything in general, consult officer(s) via e-mail, game mail, tell, ect.

Every member of the LDK Guild is a representative of the Guild and must demonstrate (some degree) of respect to every EQ player. Do not participate in the following actions that would reflect negatively on the LDK Guild image: (Begging for PL/items, purposeful KS/training, excessive language).

An unnecessary infraction of these rules may result in a Warning by a Guild Officer. Multiple infractions may result in termination of membership from the Guild.

* POLICIES:

*5. Characters that are inactive for 3 months shall have ?Inactive? placed in the Public Notes. Exceptions will be made for alternates of mains providing the main has been active in the last 3 months.

*6. Characters inactive for 6 months shall be removed from the roster. Exceptions will be made for alternates of mains providing the main has been active in the last 6 months.

*8. If a character notifies a Guild Officer that they will be absent from the game for an extended time, then ?Absent until (a date)? shall be put in the Public Note section of that players main character. If the player has not returned by the date shown then the date shown will be considered the latest playing date and the rules for inactive characters/roster removal will take effect. They are exempted from being labeled inactive.

*5. The prospective member will be placed on a 30-day probationary period and is expected to follow the Rules of Conduct and encouraged to participate in Guild raids and groups during this period.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 15, 2006 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Kayeotic Bladesiren ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

looks good to me Kay