Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rats.
    I think I am getting a bit lazy to pitch in too much recently. The alley scene looks a little uninviting to a few people, and the Rhiannon thread is even worse. I don't think it will come together, unless we all go to church and start killing demons, which none of us want. Except maybe the delusional, hamburger eating, NPC Rhiannon Herself. (No relation to Raab).
    And on the topic of the Rhiannon Thread, I think we can thank Hostboard for mixing it up a bit. Yeah, it looks worse now, but people are still posting just as much as before. (Which is to say, not at all).
    So... in the Alley thread, if one of us takes a swing at Chris, it doesn't look likely he will reply. Thus, time is frozen until we decide that we don't actually want to hit him. Or something.
    Same in the others. Do we treat him as an NPC now? That would lead to some powerful storytellers, perhaps with too much control. However, it would make the story less disjointed.

In response to previous questions, I wanted to kill "Tibsy" (who may or may not be the individual known as Tiberius Frost) for an action of his in the Rhiannon thread which made direct and unashamed plagary of the script of the motion picture "The Matrix".

Daniel's interaction with some of his characters was definately addressed in an appropriate manner in the Rhiannon thread, also. A loophole in the rules (previously stated in one of the threads gone in the Big Delete) was exploited when one of us went up and
    pushed his wench aside, because she wasn't a real person and couldn't complain
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have already said that this action was genius. Anyone could walk into the thread and kill off any number of the NPCs, and without breaking a rule either. Well, not breaking that rule. Some other rules might go out the window, I can't remember them all.

Martin, if you are listening, post the rules again.POST SOMETHING.

And, to finish off, everyone get some Rammstein mp3s. Any other suggestions on good music very welcome.

Inactive Member dragonflymatthew's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

For a game that has no rules (from what you've said, you made rules then deleted them) you are all set astoundingly firmly into certain modes of behaviour.

Your literary versatility permits a range of three genres, two of which are random cliche characters battling in pointless combat. I imagine your media diet consists of The Matrix, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Dawson's Creek and Doom. No matter how a thread starts out, you manage to find some creative way to reduce it to be exactly the same as all the others.

In response to previous questions, Tiberius, if you're confused about the way my own posts rearranged themselves in "Keep telling Yourself", I can inform you that it wasn't Hostboard. It became clear to me that it wasn't clear to you that the posts were in reverse order, so I rotated them. Reduction. Simplification. Conformity.

In fact, my favorite thread to date has to be the OOC itself. It is the only thread that you have managed to keep running. It is by far the thread most tolerate of imaginative posting styles, new ideas, and cultural references. And it has, by far, the most convincing role-playing on the board.

<font color="#f7f7f7" size="1">[ July 16, 2003 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Daniel Pearl ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I deleted my previous OOC post, I guess I was just bored and unmotivated at the time. I will keep posting.

Sorry if you're sad to see me back. Maybe I'll get a new character, but it doesn't seem likely.

...Besides, what would Nora do without me?

<font color="#f7f7f7" size="1">[ July 17, 2003 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Chris Wesley ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well now. Posting in reverse chronological order. It would be original, if we hadn't all seen Memento recently.
    Sadly, as we didn't click from the clues given (which I am sure were numerous), that thread is looking severely messed up. And now that they have been brought around to where they normally ought to be, whatever broken logic we had put together to try to explain the posts has been utterly crushed.
    Oh, and tell me if the language I use gets overly repetitive. I would hate for that to happen.

Yes, Danny, we made the rules and then deleted them. Technically. Well, kind of.
    It would be better to simlpy say that the thread containing the rules was created, and then subsequently deleted. No blame in that wording. But really, the rules being deleted was not entirely the fault of the deleter. The entity in question saw fit to purge the board entirely of the evils wreaked upon it by its sometime occupants. Thus, all threads inside of Incident were wiped, with no special treatment given to any particular one.
    The Big Delete was a big overreaction to bad threads popping up on Incident. The place is better off because of it, but I think things are a bit more lenient around here, and deletes of posts by mods are severely frowned upon now.
    So yeah. Our unspoke rules were at one point spoken, only they were unspoken soon after.

Yeah, we do seem to be a bit narrow minded when it comes to some of these topics. We are all (when I say all, I mean the people that apply to my description) children of the motion pictures The Matrix, Fight Club and the ones that go along with them, and visit many of the same websites to get our information and opinions handed to us. Any break from the norm will of course be recieved with some degree of suspicion, and perhaps initial rejection. However, if the idea comes across and people are interested, (see our sister board, Minority Report), it will get up and going, unlike favourite threads on this board, like Axle's house and whatnot.

So yeah. Sorry, no time to post in the other threads just now. Maybe tomorrow.

<font color="#f7f7f7" size="1">[ July 17, 2003 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Gerald Blake ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been reading Incident for a while now, thinking "Perhaps I should post.. nah, it's more fun to watch."
    But I can't resist making comment, so I shall. When I think of something to say.

www.otnemem.com is cool if you haven't been there. Gives you a tiny bit of backstory.

The Big Delete was a mistake, I reckon. I think at that stage the populace hadn't totally became familiar with the basic rules of message boards - that old threads disappear on their own, without any deleting neccessary, and then they can be Bumped back up when you're feeling nostalgic.

I'm a personal opponenent of rules; Nora and Chris seem to be doing fine without them and I can't see how you could develop a rule that would let people play without preventing their incredible powers of insanity. There are basic freeform rules about the untouchability of your character and his or her possessions, and of 'no absolutes' but I don't think we need these... I dunno, when you say you want rules what exactly are you looking for?

I couldn't find any real way to work out the order of Daniel's posts. I figured the match was a soccer game, and I could even find the exact date of that, which made my feel really smart.. but if there's a universal Talk About Demons Day I haven't found it yet. Actually, I'll google for that...

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/sermons/languages.html

that was funny, but unrelated. Much like the previous link.

Does that mean that the Big Mac incident happens when our hero is out going to get pizza ingredients during the match? are the posts same-day, or months apart? Even in the right order, it's still pretty ambiguous. Or aren't we supposed to know?

I wonder who will be first to spot what's so funny about the end of Gerald's post...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You had better not mean the funny at the end that I think you mean. That is awesome. I think. But I did the other one first, so what I said makes sense. That is, if the joke you got was the joke I got. Anyways, whatever you picked up on, it was a complete accident.

Well, always nice to have a quote.
    "I think I think, therefore I think I am. I think."

Well, nice to see an end (or temporary interruption) of your sabbatical, Martin.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Frost decided to ignore the mention of jokes, because he wasn't in a joking mood. ie, he was incredibly confused.

Like Daniel, apparently, I showed up After the 'delete' and after rules. I proceeded to invent a character with no name (The infamous 'Anonymous One') and broke a lot of the unspoken rules in the mall (apparently). Not to worry...

Of course, I agree (with whoever said it) that we don't really need rules. I think it would be better if people would get hurt in battle threads, because The Mall, Meanwhile on the other side of town, and I think there was another got pretty dull. But hey, it's up to you I guess.

I still don't understand Rhiannon. It just doesn't make sense. Why would you open the thread with a post that happened much later on, and then later switch it to it's proper place. If you were posting flashback type messages, wouldn't it have been better to say so, that way the rest of us'd understand, and then leave the posts in their original order?

I'm still confused, but I'll go read it and reply I think... But if you don't explain it real quickly a certain someone "who isn't a real person and can't complain" might be sorry for it.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

Alright. The topic again, the controversil "Keep telling yourself that Rhiannon" thread.
    Firstly, and unimportantly, The name doesn't relate to the thread. Hardly to worry.

Daniel, I think when you originally posted it I'm pretty sure you had some greater purpose in mind. If you're going where I think you are with this, then I see exactly how it would make sense to begin with that post.
    The impression I get is that you wanted it to be a sort of spiritual, if you like, battle, between beings from other planes of existence, I think. And I'm pretty sure you opened with that post because if you'd started with the basement we'd all have made up rock groups and had a band contest instead of astral battles. I've noticed that Jess went to church and it had some kind of effect on her, and I think that's significant since it seems 'kate' used something similar to fight the demons. Is\Was Daniel going to go to church as well? And I still don't understand the 'change' that happened to the people while they were watching the game.

But if that's what you were doing I think that it would have been far better if you'd have explained because now we're just messing with phones. Since we're Matrix junkies.

Anyway, the big problem I see is the order of posts. Watch:
    Originally the thread went something like:

Daniel eating burgers
    oocs from me and Chris-don't worry.
    The (soccer) game
    Gerald answers his phone.
    Frost answers the phone he doesn't own [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Chris dancing, I think.
    Gerald's answering macine.
    Jess's basement
    Frost dropped his phone, entered the basement, and interacted with characters within.

After that last reply of mine, 2 posts were switched around. the unrelated burger post, and the basement, so that the basement is at the top and is replaced with the burger post.
    The main problem was that Frost was IN the basement, AFTER he had talked to Gerald on the phone. But NOW, the basement exists BEFORE the phone thing had started. I thought about deleting my last post, but I liked it, and apparently so did Gerald because he keeps quoting it. If I delete it I'll also lose my direction in that thread which was, geting angry and going into the basement.
    So now my character is way out of the storyline, and can't exist. People, please note the consequences of major editing in your posts. Bad stuff can and will happen.
    So I've had a nice go at putting myself back into some sort of context, with a little help from Gerald Blake, and I'm not really sure what'll happen next. I apologize for messing up the thread, which I may have done, but I still think it can work (work as much as it is already, I might add).
    I'm interested to see everyone's reactions.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think what Tiberius meant in the Rhiannon thread was:

"Frost raised his own hand, and held out the most feared weapon - a handheld nuclear device, capable of killing everyone within a 500m radius. "Now you are faced with a dilemma. If anyone kills me, this blast will decimate the surrounding area. You let me go, everyone survives and nobody gets the booty. Put down your guns, and just walk away. You do not know how deep this goes, who your bosses realy work for, and why I am so wanted. You will never understand. Just walk away, there is no point in going on." Frost raised his arms in a cucifix letting the deepness of the situation sink in."

Yes, the big problem with that thread was the fact that we were reacting to events going backwards as if we were on a going forwards basis. I'm not sure why we didn't click earlier, to clues like "there is no madness in direction. which ever way it runs", but I generally prefer to do things in chronological order. Well, in real life, at least.

Tiberius, I think you would find that hot knives tend to cut better through warmer butter than the colder variety. Just for next time you want to decapitate someone or make some toast. And there were plenty of allusions to the famous "Come with me if you want to live" quote from Terminator 2, but you are right. They made references, and then backed off. I think that helped though. You know, they didn't make it a sequel just by re-using the tried and true formula. They did this several times, I think. One for each big famous saying or whatever. Like, "She'll be back" and all that.
    And I think the sunglasses at the beginning made the movie great.

I will try to post some more at The Alley, but I'm not really sure what to do. Obviously, right now the most inviting scene is the Party at Kelly Jones'. In that one, everyone has an excuse to show up, and if anyone does anything to wreck the thread we can simply say "He is hallucinating. He had some of the Kumara and Apricot Pie."

And yeah, I think I made less sense than I intended to make about that joke that I think I got. Somebody set up us the bomb.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Every now and then, Chris woudl go and look at the old threads, where he woudl notice certain things. He woudl notice inconsistencies, he woudl notice random encounters with people who woudl only ever post once, but most of all, he woudl notice recurring typos.

The most common one seemed to be from Nora, who woudl mix up her L's and D's in the word "Would".

Chris woudl laugh whenever he saw this.

Thank you to all of the people who helped piss me off while I wrote the Interlude. I can type, ok? And Word doesn't give a shit if there's 2 spaces after a Period. It becomes a Grammatical Error after 3. You fuckers remind me of Tycho. I hate you all. From now on, if I'm typing during lunchtime, I don't expect 3 people hanging over my shoulder, cheering whenever I put two spaces after a Fucking Period.

Jesus Christ.

<font color="#f7f7f7" size="1">[ July 20, 2003 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Chris Wesley ]</font>