Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

" Great- thankyou." She said, and then continued to walk silently. Unlike everyone else in her family, she was not a great conversationalist in any circumstance.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They walked in almost complete silence. It was absolutely nerve-wracking. What to say? He tried several times to start conversation, as did she. Neither seemed to get more than one-word answers out of the other.

Was this really a good idea? I mean, how many times have you tried to talk to her?

She's obviously not too thrilled with the prospect of going to a strange guy's house.

You should have just apologised and left.

Bad idea, Chris.

You're going to regret this...

Chris pushed these thoughts out of his head. He'd made an alright choice. Plus, she was trying to make conversation too. They were probably both feeling the same way.

A couple of streets later and they were at his house. The front door was locked.

"Mum must be working late tonight. She does every now and again."

He used his spare key to unlock the door, and walked inside, holding the door open for Nora.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nora followed Chris as they turned in his driveway. It was a nice house, in a nice street. The driveway dominated the right side on the housefront, leading to a single garage with a green automatic door. A flat, well kept lawn swept across the left and continued, she assumed, around the back of the house. A few trees were planted around the fencelines.

Nora waited while Chris unlocked the front door, and then followed him in. At first glance, it was a work of housekeeping that her mother would have been proud of.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thankfully, Chris had had a party on Saturday night, meaning the house was spotless. The trade-off for having people drinking and messing up the house was having to clean it to a state where even the fussiest rich people could eat off the floor. So Sunday had been a lot of hard work on his part, but he felt good about it.

She followed him as he walked through to the kitchen. He got a couple of glasses out of a cupboard.

"Would you like a drink?"

He opened the fridge door, unsure as to what exactly was available.

"There's orange juice, coke, sprite, and water."

They didn't usually have soft drinks, they were probably leftover from the weekend. Not that that fact was terribly important to anyone.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

" Tap water, thankyou." She didn't like cold water because it hurt her teeth. He poured her a glass of water, and then poured his own drink. As he did so, Nora searched for something to say.

His mother might be working late.

" What do your parents do for a living? " she asked, genuinely interested. She never could tell like her mother could.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

David Frost walked into the hotel room on the 12th floor, and glanced around. It wasn't really that great a room, by the standards he was used to.
    Attached to it was a gleaming bathroom, which looked like nobody had ever used it, and a large set of french doors opening onto some kind of balcony.
    A massive bed dominated the floor, but he'd long since given up on calculating bed sizes, since he virtually never slept in anything below king anyway.

Portia locked the door behind him. He turned and she grinned mischeviously at him with her pink glazed lips. Frost wondered whether to pretend he didn't know where this was going.
    How much had she spent on a room like this? He could determine something about her character if he knew how much trouble she'd go to for an escapade like this...

He pushed her against the wall, and kissed her.
    'Damn', he thought, 'How did I forget to check the time?'

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Both my parents are Lawyers. Not the interesting kind though. It's commercial law. Still, good jobs. They work at the Webster-Mcleod offices."

He felt obliged to explain his mother's lateness.

"There's a merger going on between a couple of software companies, it's been causing a lot of problems apparently. They were late home most nights last week. I've kinda got to fend for myself some evenings. Doesn't bother me too much, I can cook well enough to get a decent dinner every night. Speaking of which, are you hungry?"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

" No, thankyou," Nora answered. Law and medicine, she had heard it said, were two honorable professions.
    " I'm not really hungry." Nora was, in truth, a little hungry, but a notoriously picky eater, and tried just not to eat in company. It saved the embarassment of appearing- well, picky- about the food served. She couldn't bring herself to just eat food, so she avoided it.
    " Mother doesn't like it when we eat between meals."

She glanced at her watch. 3:56:21. The bus would have arrived at the center-city stop by now.

" I hate to bring it up," she mumbled, a little hesitantly, because she was imposing on his charity, and it was bad manners to then appear ungrateful. " but Mother doesn't like us to be home late- she is quite- protective- I suppose you could say." she blushed.

He probably couldn't even understand what she was trying to say. Then she would have to repeat it, and go through the embarassment all over again. Or he might take it the wrong way- so soon after telling her what his parents did for a living, he might think that she thought that law was a lowly trade profession, unworthy of her association. Nora was a nervous person.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Chris had forgotten why he'd invited her to his house in the first place. He supposed he should get her home.

"Ah, ok. Yes, you should probably get home before your mother decides to call the police. Would you like me to take you home, or do you want to call someone to pick you up?"

She seemed a bit scared of her mother. "Protective" was probably an understatement.

<font color="#f7f7f7" size="1">[ December 17, 2003 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Chris Wesley ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

" Either or. I could call my fathers secretary..."

She left the sentence open. Not in an obvious way, of course. He had offered to take her home, and she really couldn't think of anything she would dislike more than another ride home with Cathy!, her fathers secretary. If he offered to give her a ride home, Nora would accept gladly. But she wasn't about to ask.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast