Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Dramavictim:
    I don't think an all half orc party would fly with all the players.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You know you want it . . . sexy, grayish, toothy orc-maidens with lovely jaws and robust, stunningly lowbrow orc-dudes ready for deep philosophical conversation . . . I think I'll be the bard.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

Originally posted by Stranng:
    I would like to know what happens to Marren....I would also like the chance to pull him later to play with the next group, if possible. Here is an idea what about a party/tribe of barbarians? [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Marren was with his party and was slain by Ravensong, Avera and Neanthyl. He is dead and/or lost to play like all the other characters in that adventure.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Death by proxy? That just doesnt seem right. I thought the use of characters when players were not present had been debated in the past. I thought it had been decided that these characters would not be played in the absence of the player to avoid this outcome. Wasn't the shadow theory created for this type of situation? If Marren had been involved in the intiative, had a chance to effect the outcome, I would understand this outcome. If another player had control of him or if he was used as an NPC, I would more accepting of his "death". But the character was not involved in the conflict that turned out to be the destruction of the adventures. As far as anyone is concerned, he could have been at the Inn as opposed as a non-particpant in a conflict that ended his "life".

Inactive Member rahnewhitebriar's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've posted on the Marren-death question under the "Death" thread.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm rather enjoying messing around with the concept of a half-orc cleric...but can I get a little more information on the deity Titus?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Stranng:
    Death by proxy? That just doesnt seem right.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe, maybe not. Life is not fair as the princess Bride tells us. I held the adventure off last week due to your unavailability to play, and almost did so this week due to your real life obligations.

The party continued on what had pretty much become Marren's quest, and in a certain way, the missing NPC's are always "there", even when they aren't.

Therefore, had one or two people died, Marren would have lived. But since the entire party died, ON a quest for Marren, and partly BECAUSE he was not there, yet at the same time was theoretically WITH them, I cannot consider him to have been the sole survivor.

He would never have run from that battle, and would never have survived an onslaught from Erin, Ravensong, Neanthyl and Avera. The entire party was a team, and they either succeed as a team or utterly fail as a team. marren was not only PART of that team, despite Vil being the leader, Marren was the leader ofthe charge so to speak.

It was a tragic ending, and all characters involved are now gone. Including Marren.

Whether or not this seems fair or makes people unhappy is really irrelevant. I am the hand of fate in this game, and the finger of God, for better or worse, has snuffed out Marren with the rest. This is my decision.

I look forward to a fresh start with the next adventuring crowd as well as the continuation of the Heroes campaign. I hope others can put this all behind us and be prepared for the next deal from the deck.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Okay, the half-orc idea is going to fly like a lead zeppelin. That being the case, I desire to play an elven wizard.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ahhh...okay, I think I see the distinction. If part of the party had survived, then Marren would still be here. However, it was a rout. Okay...I can make that work for me.

Looking forward to the next go-round.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Dramavictim:
    Actually, I have a multiclass concept that is kind of grabbing me....but it would require DM approval. Since Sorcerers 'sorta happen' to anyone rather than requiring study, I am tempted to have a young barbosian (either human or half elf) who discovers from the wise women of his tribe that he is about to go mad (A bad translation of suddenly gaining weird skills like Spell craft for no apparent reason [img]wink.gif[/img] as well as spells). Rather than risk his people, he leaves the tribe and comes to CF.

He would start out as a 1st level barbarian, but then multi to a sorcerer as soon as he had enough exp.

It's a concept anyways.
    What do you think?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's funny you should brng this up. Having played 1st ed. since before the DM Guide was published, I have watched the game grow, and when the D20 system came out, I was really excited. No system is perfect, but I thought this fixed many od mistakes and made use of years of playtesting through all the other games out there, as well as D&D. It's like the TSR folks and WOTC folks, White Wolf, GURPS and all the rest had a hand in the growth of the FRPG industry, and WOTC had the intelligence to capitalize on it.

But when I tried to tell some die hard first edition folks how god the system was, they went off on me big time. Without ever having read the new books or played n a single session, they condemned the game for one reason: "BARBARIANS CAN'T BE MAGIC USERS!!!!" (half of you know the person I speak of too, though it may not be whom you think).

I countered that, on one hand, a player might rationalize a good story for it (as drama has done), and on the other, the DM had the power to say NO...whih I guess is the question.

I see no reason to say no yet, and welcome a more detailed proposal. It is,like most of Drama's character concepts, original, creative and intelligent, and I thnk if we work n the ground rules in advance, he could make for a great character.

After all, he played a half orc for weeks without the party killing him!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by rahnewhitebriar:
    Ahhh...okay, I think I see the distinction. If part of the party had survived, then Marren would still be here. However, it was a rout. Okay...I can make that work for me.

Looking forward to the next go-round.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">EXACTLY!

Originally posted by rahnewhitebriar:
    I'm rather enjoying messing around with the concept of a half-orc cleric...but can I get a little more information on the deity Titus?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Evil characters are not permitted in CF play for many reasons (and I don't think it is necesary to go over them). It is assumed that the "half" in "half-orc" is a good (or at least neutral) race. As such, it would be highly unlikely for that character to worship Titus, who is the God and creater of humanoid monsters. The god is a monster among gods and has no redeeming qualities. he is not gentle or kind, but a hideously cruel predator. He rewards aggression and cruelty and punishes weakness. Those who have turned their backs on the kind of goblns, orcs, ogres, giants and trolls to live with and help the pale skinned good races would never be rewarded by Titus in the form of spells and divine powers.

On the other hand, the remaining deities might accept such a worshipper with a certain degree of smugness, seeing Titus in turn rejected by one of his own, and would reward such a devout follower as they would any other cleric.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast