Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I would like each of you to post all of the dragon encounters you recall having, including color, place and approximate level you fought them at. As characters you probably have a better memory of such significant encounters than I would as someone who has run them for many people over 5 years.

Also, if you have any input as to how you enjoyed those encounters. Were you frightened? Excited? Looking forward to another, or dreading it? Was the treasure worth the risk? How prepared do you think you are to face others? Or even multiples?

Your thoughts would prove useful to me

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Over the almost five years we've played AD&D, I don't recall a lot of dragon encounters. These are what I remember:

The first dragon was the baby green dragon Aoborr, Celene, Seara and Lynliss faced as part of the Mirolna campaign.

There was also a brief, non violent encounter with a Copper which settled for a service instead of the Devonshire party's magic weapons.

The Devonshire fought a small Red guarding the entry to the Wizard school.

As part of the finale for the Devonshire quest, the group had a friendly encounter with a Silver and defeated a Blue.

The present New Tindale group has had the most draconic encounters:
    - En route to the Oracle's island, the boat was attacked by a Dragon Turtle.
    - On the island we fought a Green for the Ibix people.
    - We fought a White for Kel's uncle.
    - We fought a Black just before or after embarking on the Underdark quest.

Treasure seemed decent enough for the risk taken and I wasn't, as a player, concerned that the encounter was too difficult.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I thought there were two dragons on the island? The father and son deal, or something like that...or was one killed by the dinosaur or some such?

But anyway, it seems as if you have done the spectrum...every color.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Right, one dragon was already dead and looted.
    We've dealt with many of the varieties, yes, though all have been young members of their races; the Blue has been the only one which cast spells thus far.

I think the party has been pretty well equipped and prepared before encounters with the beasts.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, if you have any input as to how you enjoyed those encounters. Were you frightened? Excited? Looking forward to another, or dreading it? Was the treasure worth the risk? How prepared do you think you are to face others? Or even multiples?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since the dragons that I could remember have already been covered (and then some) [img]wink.gif[/img] I'll respond to this part.

There's always an element of fear and excitement mixed for me when our characters face a dragon. Let's face it, dragons are pretty glamourous. They are mythic creatures that stir the imagination so holding my interest with them has not been a problem [img]wink.gif[/img]

Dragons are so varied in power level (Depending on type, age, etc)that really, whether we can prepared or not varies as well. The reward for risk always seemed pretty fairly matched to me, though I can't say I ever really gave it much thought. I have to admit, with Thurvold in my use now, I have to fight myself from singing under my breath the song "Every little piece" as whatever dragon we take down is carved up *mwhahaha*

Meeting more good or netrual dragons might be cool, to talk to them as NPCs, as long as they stay rare enough to keep the wonder.

Could we take on two spell casting dragons adult or older at once? Whew... Not sure. Depends on how coordinated they were and if we had time to prepare. A mated pair might really mess us up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Heh, yes a mated pair would be a handful especially if there were young ones about the nest as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]

There are still a few draconic species we've not encountered - Shadow, the gem dragons, most of the metallics for instance.