Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

I moved this to another section so that it would be addressed seperately:

nancy brought it up again, and she is right, we must decide.

You are fast approaching 20. we have the following options:

1) Play these characters at level 20 forever, with no chance for advancement. (sounds limiting and boring to me)

2) Retire them at 20. (no point working toward 21 if you won't actually hit 21)

3) Go epic and figure out a way for everyone to get the rules, perhaps condensing them. casters will have the most trouble without a book I think.

4) Go Epic for those who want, retire for those who want, essentially splitting the player group (not preferable in my opinion)

5) Start all over from scratch with brand new 1st level characters all around when level 20 is hit.

6) Go to 20 and retire the Caer Falken Inn, perhaps starting over with a new game (Pirates, Western, Changeling?)

There are other nuances and compromises that can be made, but we can't keep dancing around the issue. Some people really want to try epic, some people would like to but can't get the book, some people are afraid to go epic and die epicly, preferring to settle down with the fruits of 20 levels of adventure. All have valid points, and I respect all opinions.

What is really at stake here is NOT the future of the characters, but the future of the gaming group. If we don't agree, we will fracture and split and argue and it will be the end. Or maybe it is time, like a good TV series, to have a finale after over 5 seasons.

I am flexible and can live with ANY decision. I do this for YOU, the players. So now, YOU must decide...and I will lead based on your decision.

Please don't procrastinate.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I too would like to go on to epic, hard as my little psion is! I love this group....

but....

I don't want to lose Valley to this, if he can't get the book needed and cannot play....what are we to do? I don't want to drop this on his lap but...

Ultimately it depends on if he can get what he needs to play epic. Though I would rather not retire Shanti, and play her on and on...I WOULD rather retire her than lose anyone.

Stopping after five years, by the way, is NOT an option. ~pokes the....spouse... with a rapier from the other post.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I too would like to play an epic game, as stated previously, but not at the expense of losing a player. The Epic Player's Handbook is available as an E-Book at www.drivethurpg.com for about $39 dollars, a bit less than a hardcopy.

If we do decide to retire the Tinsdale group, perhaps the backup group we're currently putting on hiatus could become the primary characters? I'm also good with starting at level 1 again, and also open to changing genres: I'm a diehard gamer. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have rules for the following games:
    All old World of Darkness except Mummy, Demon and Orpheus (Vampire, Werewolf, Changeling, Wraith, Mage, Hunter, Sorcerer's Crusade), Exalted, Call of Cthulhu d6, Shadowrun 3rd.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 30, 2007 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Lyssandra ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I vote we play epic with these characters. It sounds like a new challenge to pose to this group of heroes and players.

I actually may have a breather in my schedule and if so I am going to polish off my cleric and read over the spells again. I may even be able to put some resin on Mhicsal's sticky fingers.

I hope we all come to an agreement. I sure would hate seeing us split apart and lose the fun we share.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1) Play these characters at level 20 forever, with no chance for advancement. (sounds limiting and boring to me)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That does sort of bite, and doesn't seem fair to those that have the rules.
    2) Retire them at 20. (no point working toward 21 if you won't actually hit 21)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've thought of retiring Kel (He's got a lot on his plate and a possible happy ending) but keeping Thurvold. I like both though.
    3) Go epic and figure out a way for everyone to get the rules, perhaps condensing them. casters will have the most trouble without a book I think.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I will try for this one. I do have some used book stores in the area, though the last few times I've checked, I got nothing. I do have the open liescence info that Wizards was given out free so I can keep track of advancements, but it isn't very detailed.
    4) Go Epic for those who want, retire for those who want, essentially splitting the player group (not preferable in my opinion)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not in mine either, but I'd understand it if others wanted that. I don't like holding folks back.
    5) Start all over from scratch with brand new 1st level characters all around when level 20 is hit.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's not a bad idea... except again I know how fond everyone is of this group. Don't get me wrong... I liked Jask, loved Aoborr, but Kel is probably my favorite of the lot. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    6) Go to 20 and retire the Caer Falken Inn, perhaps starting over with a new game (Pirates, Western, Changeling?)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I actually prefer D&D thus far. I'm afraid White Wolf's past policies and such have left the WoD games with a bad taste in my mouth. It isn't logical, but there you have it.

Additional thoughts...
    In fairness, we COULD freeze whatever character (Thurvold or Kel)I play while the others progress. If I ever get the epic rules (or enough ofthe rules) to satisfy the GM I can handle it, then I can catch up with a sudden boost.

OR...and this one could be fun if setting changing... I can just play Thurvold, but have him burning exp right and left in the consturction of magic items. A logical and game caused reason for him to stay below Epic *G* The problem being he might eventually litter the campaign with intelligent combs and Jello Golems.

I plan on having him create an item for Thaylias (and likely Shanti as well now) anyway as a sign of his hopes for New Tindale.

I could make a new character that would be easier to run for Epic uses (A warrior type maybe?) than arcane casters.

IF we ever started over, I still like the idea of playing 20 or so years in the future the 'next generation', but that should probably wait until everyone's retired out of this group.

Any of these other suggestions sound good to you, guys?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good news!

With a friend's help, I recently purchased an Epic Handbook on Ebay. Not sure when I will get it though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Then the Epic plan is a go!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I too have recently obtained a copy of the epic level handbook.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It came in the mail yesterday. [img]smile.gif[/img]