Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

This subject has come up before, but I would like to attempt to tackle it again. It was not so much an issue in the old days when adventures were "one shots". But now that we have an ongoing plot, there are times for characters to explore, question NPC's, RP with each other, see the sights and a host of activities that are not just hacking, slashing and casting.

This is all well and good, but there comes a time when it is time to break from the banter and move on, and knowing exactly when that is can be difficult.

As a DM, I never tell you "okay, enough RP, getback to fighting!" I just do not wish to stunt creativity or take away a fun experience if you are enjoying the scene. likewise, I know that sometimes you are all waiting for a signal from me or other players that the scene has been played out and we are ready to progress.

I maintain that it will not be be who "commands" you to move on, so we need a better system.

One method is to use the party leader system. When one player takes control in-character and has everyone hop to it. that works rather well if you have a competent leader. The problem is, most of the party is comprised of leaders.

We could have players post OOC, or whisper me privately, "I'm done here, let's move on". In such a acase, I would force the scene to end, knowing that is YOUR wish.

The biggest problem, at least for me, is when literally ten to 15 minutes pass with NO action occuring. I start thinking, "Are they bored? Did someone fall asleep? Did they all take bathroom.snack/smoke breaks?" I am not as young as I use to be, and these dead times sap my energy and momentum. We need to keep active.

This game is a symbiosis between the GM, the game world, the players, and the characters who have lives of their own. In 2008, we will have much to work out, and there is still ambiguity. I still don't even have commitments for who will go epic when you cap out level 20.

Between now and the next game, especially since we will not play this week, I would REALLY like all of you to think deeply on these subjects and post your suggestions for an improved game for the coming year. We have all come so far and I believe we can have lots more fun together. If this is becoming old and any of you want out, let me know. If you have suggestions for improvements, let's discuss them. this is OUR game. Let's keep it going, or admit we are done. I think most of us prefer the former option.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One element that I use in the game that I've adopted from other text based games I have played, and still play, is pose order. We use something similar when in combat. Essentially pose order is that player A. makes his/her poses to all parties in the scene at one time, then player B makes the next set of poses, including responding to player A's pose. Player C makes his poses while responding to A and B, and so forth. After the last person makes his posts, then player A responds to B, C, D and so forth while adding to his/her previous post.

This dynamic type of posing allows for characters to leave or enter at different points. When a character makes a farewell pose, then the other characters respond in their turns, then the character is assumed to have left. When a player joins an existing session, they go to the end of pose order.

Advantages of this are that everyone knows when it's time to make their next post, and everyone reacts to everyone else, even if that is to ignore player A IC. The 'ignored' character's name should still be added in the post however: i.e. "Thaylias ignores Allie's barb while continuing to talk with Shanti and accepting the mug of ale from Thurvold." Those of us with multiple characters should either a. combine posts or b. post for one character then wait to pose the 2nd character at the end. A sample pose order might be:
    1. Kel
    2. Thaylias
    3. Allie
    4. Shanti
    5. Oakshade
    6. Thurvold
    7. Celene.

In this order, Kel would /always/ be the first poster in an RP round and Celene would always be last. In round two, Kel's post would include replies and reactions to all the other six characters' first round pose, and include new material for the others to react to. Then Thaylias would respond to everyone's first round pose except Kel, but would react to Kel's 2nd round pose, and so forth. Keeps you on your toes in a large scene, but no more so than one of CFI's large combats.

One disadvantage is that since pretty much every post will be a paragraph, there may be some delay waiting for a slower typist to finish, however some of that delay can be offset by starting your own post, responding to those who've already posted and inserting your new actions, and then adding when the next person finishes typing, then press enter when its your turn and everyone before you in the order has made theirs.

As to how this system could be used to signal it's time to move on to the next scene: One character includes in their post something to the effect of "We have talked long, shall we move forward or discuss our strategy further?" or "Is there anything else we should ask the priestess?" Then all the other players include an affirmative or negative to the IC suggestion, asking their question if one needs asking. Majority rule, but that also means that the DM will have to read every post to gather the consensus and then move forward to set the next scene after the NPC has finished responding and reacting to the other characters.

Epic: I've looked over the book and would like to take both Allie and Celene epic. It was mentioned that Thaylias and Celene are redundant, but with some of the new feats for which Celene will qualify there will be some marked differences showing up between the Silver Rider and the Knight Protector as levels increase. Allie has dozens of feats available under both bard and rogue which few other characters will be able to use.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 27, 2007 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Lyssandra ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think last nights game flowed very well. The folks who were in the position of keeping a dialog and interacting with the NPC's kept it going at a great pace.

I know sometimes I am leary of responding due to lack of memory or frankly worried of screwing up, but getting better at it. I will try and do better with being more confident and promt with replies. So I say leave it like we have but w/ improvement. Again last nights game was run at a great pace for rp.

Is this getting old? Hell no. Lets keep it going.