Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Following through with what was discussed Friday before we started playing with Valley creating a level 20 character to replace Kel and Thurvold....

Should the party fall, either in the current pending battle with the giants or from the next series of encounters before the party reaches level 21, are we going to start back at level 1 with a new party, create high level replacements and continue on to epic, or something else?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

An excellent question.

Why don't you all decide.

Starting over:

Good side: starting fresh, new opportunities.

Bad side: may feel like going backwards or be too boring, having done it so often before.

Replacements:

Good: You get to keep going

Bad: You may feel like you have lost momentum or that the new characters don't mesh.

If you go forth, options include:

Rolling from scratch.
    Taking over NPC's, character relatives, etc.
    Dusting off old CFI characters and making them level-appropriate (for example, Shanti dies and Seara shows up)

I want all of your input first, and hjad actually meant to discuss this Friday.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, hopefully, thanks to Oakshade and other sources, getting a ressurection or raise dead will be much easier than it would be for our lower level guys.

However, if the party should fall en masse, I'd probably suggest something like everyone starting at say 15th level, and working their way up to Epic again. Either reviving old characters and bumping them up, or making new ones who are, as you suggest, related or otherwise tied to existing characters.

But that's just a suggestion, and I'm pretty cool with anything.

I am curious, do we know how many years, in setting time, our heroes have been out and about?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Personally I would rather start right back at 1st level should that happen. I like the low/slow progression, taking my time with making and forming a character rather than getting handed a bunch of options and tons of spells at once to pick from, the mechanics aside, I feel that the personalities are formed, as are relationships, as low levels strive to survive with each other, and slowly become fleshed out mid level characters.

Just my take on it :-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Starting back at low level, perhaps not strictly 1st though I've no problem with that either, does offer a bit of a 'safety net' in regards to errors made with the PC stat, skill and feat wise. If you take a 'bad' feat at 3rd or 6th level, it's usually fairly easy to remedy the error at the next feat selection, and you get back on track with only a minor detour. However, at the middle to high level where the current PCs are, such bad choices can be very difficult to fix since it takes so long for levels.

Should something go really badly over the next few months that results in party loss. I'd be more inclined to start fresh like Tarra.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I honestly cant say what I would prefer to do at this moment. I would consider boosting up one of my other lower level characters but the highest I have is seventh level.

The other option is of course starting at first level. For me playing a different style of character, ie an arcane caster, would be a must. Plus as Tarra stated, building harmony with the other characters or lack of [img]wink.gif[/img]

Hopefully this will not be an issue but I can feel the possibiliy of it growing. As I stated, I just dont know how I would want to continue at this time. But my history has been one of flowing with everyone else.