Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Been toying with this and how to talk about this subject without upsetting anyone or ruffling any feathers, so...just going to spit it out and ask that PLEASE no one take anything here personally. It's just something that needs to be aired.

Loot.

Some folks take time to process what is listed before they come in and say "I would like that" I think when you see something you want, you should state that you would like to put in your "bid" for an item, or something to that effect, so that folks don't then think "I didn't answer fast enough and lost my chance on it" It should never be assumed what someone should take or what they will want, the players reasoning may surprise you. It might be better for them, but they may love their trusted sword, or the armor they wear may have sentimental value and they may not want to part with it, or it may complete a set more to their liking.

I do like it when suggestions are made of who might benefit from what, but some people may take that as a given and take it, when actually there was something else they wanted but felt they didn't jump on it soon enough.

Likewise, if you see someone take an item you want, by all means tell us here also so that folks can discuss their reasons for taking it, maybe even needing the DM to roll if folks want something equally.

I don't want to see hurt feelings or discontent, sometimes it's hard to speak up, sometimes it's easy to assume.

I just feel we need to keep this in mind as well when loot is suggested or taken.

Hope this was helpful, I often have a horrible way of expressing myself, for that I apologise.

T

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree. My comments on the boards are suggestions. Very often though I am the only one who does make a suggestion or stake an initial claim on loot because everyone else adopts a 'I'll wait till last and see what everyone wants before I make up my mind' attitude. Unfortunately, only one person can be last, so the list goes unanswered for days or weeks. Also trades are possible. So, speak up people. [img]smile.gif[/img]

When I had the job of being the Out of Character 'quartermaster' as the job was called, I tried to split out the loot fairly evenly based on what the other PCs had selected or been issued before. Trying to not be greedy, I put my characters at the end of the list unless certain items were set up apparently specifically for one of my characters: A 'small sized' rapier in a party consisting of a Halfling rogue, a Dwarf wizard, and the rest human and human sized characters likely is intended to go to the halfling. A human could use it, sure, but a small sized rapier is the size of a medium sized dagger (same damage too) and unless the Dwarf was a multiclass fighter/ranger/rogue then the blade does the Dwarf no good. Similarly, if some item seemed to belong to a given character, then I let the character have it.

If someone's not happy with what's been given thus far from Iceflame's loot, negotiate with whomever has what you do want. Once we finish off those giants, there might be a few more nice items to claim for sale or use.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Agreed on all counts!