Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gwylln removes 200 gp from her inventory and discovers that the party now has:

Ring of Mind Shielding, which grants immunity to Detect Thoughts, Discern Lies and attempts to learn alignment.

Scarab of Golemban. There are different types, and each protects against a different golem. This protects against ALL golems. Detect golems within 60' (not automatic, you must concentrate) and ignore damage reduction ability that golem's all have.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now about that dragon:
    If we can avoid confronting the beast it would be in everyone's best interest. For that I think we need to rely upon our rangers and druid. Dragons, even small ones, are horrible.
    If we do not succeed in avoidance, the battle will be more straightforward than with wizards - damage, damage, and more damage.
    Dragons can fly and usually cast spells, and breathe - this one breathes fire, we know. They have a lot of hit points, but they're also big, so they're easy to attack from many sides. They can defend in all directions (mouth, claws, wings, tail) but probably not all weapons every turn. If our meat shields assault from several directions while our casters and missile launchers hang safely back (hopefully casting such things as Endure Elements), with our rogue flanking when he can get in safely (he's a good candidate for the aforementioned Endure Elements) we may survive the encounter. Anything else anyone can think of?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Final thought from the unexpectedly wordy barbarian and his player:
    He'll gladly have the bracers and gloves identified.
    Moving out in the morning is fine, if that gives us enough time to achieve a full complement of spells for our casters.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Those are valid points, but remember Stranng is healed. We spellcasters regain our magic after a night's rest following preparing spells for the day.
    Stranng and Jaskyn pray and then sleep for 8 hours while Gwylln studies her spellbook and prays, then sleeps for two hours. All of us will be back to full power spellwise by morning. There's little in the way of physical damage to heal (Everyone heals between 6 to 12 HP of damage naturally during the eight hour rest (1 point per character level without the need for healing spells or potions.) so apart from getting supplies if needed, the group's ready to go.
    I believe we'll have to face the dragon eventually, whether before we can reach the 13 archwizards or afterward. The dragon's made its home somewhere in those ruins or the cave, and is unlikely to leave even if the Master's control is broken. If it's a Red, it's Chaotic Evil in nature and may well intensify its attacks against Devonshire once the wizards' control is broken simply because it will be infuriated at being controlled. If it's a Charmed Bronze however, it may well reward us for freeing it and may serve as Devonshire's protector since the chromatic dragons are of good alignment. (This is all speculation on my part, but regardless whether it's an evil or good dragon I don't see avoiding it entirely is possible.)
    The wizards themselves: It is best to prepare as best we can as if all thirteen are of at least the same ability as the one who impersonated the Count, or better yet to assume he's the weakest of the lot we'll confront, and that we will have to deal with all thirteen at once. Circle of Death is a dangerous spell, but there are lots more wizard spells that are just as bad or worse to deal with. (Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone, the various Power Word spells, Imprisonment, Gate.)
    The DM did hint in earlier posts, and at the end of the last session that this upcoming battle is the most difficult we've yet to face. Area effect spells such as fireball, ensnare and web might serve to break multiple wizards' concentration at times, but don't differentiate against foes or allies, so will hamper the melee fighters who like to get up close and personal.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

I think that Lyssandra makes some excellent points. I just wish to correct two statements:

Originally posted by Lyssandra:
    All of us will be back to full power spellwise by morning.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is inaccurate. While most of the time, and in most campaigns, this may be true, it is not true in Fangea. Jaskyn's deity requires Moonrise devotions, and it is at that time that he is granted his spells. I posted this in a previous message. As the Moon rose, he diligently prayed and was granted two powerful spells (among others) that enabled him to remove Stranng's negative levels. Unless the party waits until the following night, Jaskyn will begin play minus those spells. Either way has its strong points, and this will be up to the party to decide.

Originally posted by Lyssandra:
    ...however, it [Brass Dragon]may well reward us for freeing it and may serve as Devonshire's protector since the chromatic dragons are of good alignment.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Excellent points regarding the dragons, but I can't let this trivial thing go by uncorrected.

Chromatic dragons are the evil ones. Think "Chrom-" as color (Latin, greek or some such), as in monochrome (B&W) or Kodachrome, etc.

One might think of the metal chrome in that context, an easy mistake, as good dragons are Metallic.

So as a rules reference: Metallic Dragons are the good guys, Chromatic are the evil.

And for those who recall earlier editions of D&D, Tiamat, queen of all evil dragons, was referred to as THE Chromatic Dragon (having heads of the "evil" colors, black, white, red, green and blue)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Please disregard my question about the soldiers...I was a bit confused but i see now that is how we are identifing objects. Let us prepare for an encounter with a dragon but try to use the wild to get around it. I would rather have all of the characters to deal with the 13 wizards instead of showing up short by losing a character(perhaps more [img]frown.gif[/img] ) fighting a dragon. If we must face a Dragon let us do it after we deal with the Wizards and obtain what ever they have in the way of magical booty we may be able to use against the dragon.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since we don't have a clear idea of when or if we will be facing the dragon, I think it makes sense to allow another moonrise to pass so that Jaskyn is fully enspelled before we set out. If the dragon revisits the town in that time we will do what we must, but the better prepared we are, the better prepared we are.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I stand corrected on the grouping. [img]smile.gif[/img] Again though, Good is relative when dealing with dragons: the Copper (Metallic) dragon we encountered before coming to Devonshire (the jokster) initially threatened to eat us if we didn't surrender our weapons for its horde before it offered doing a service instead (killing the Redcap horde.)

One other thing: The group's not entirely certain just how many Wizards are holed up at the School. Heresay says 13, but there could be fewer or more. [img]smile.gif[/img] The source of that number turned out to be less than totally reliable (the Apothecary) but he was correct about the dragon apparently. Waiting until the next moonrise will be alright with Gwylln, but she will be getting impatient if we linger longer than that.

The trip, if we go on foot without steeds will take a day and a half each way anyway since she'll assume Wayne's time estimate was based on human rate of speed vs the slower dwarven and gnomish speeds, and if we take 'stuff' that rate goes down even further (encumbrance.)

Summoned creatures will help shield the party against the initial wave of death spells like Circle of Death, so a Summon Monster or Nature's Ally I or II spell per spellcaster might be handy just for that purpose. No real need for a higher level version IMO since the more powerful spell slots can be better used other ways (such as calling in another wave of monsters to help with combat.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

The following is Garrick's point of view, and not the Dungeon Master's. As a DM, I can find no rule being broken, and I can't even really find cause to say there is a breach of alignment, since Druids are Neutral. However, since the game is based on character actions, it is only right that I present Garrick's opinion on the plans for the attack.

First of all, he finds merit with all proposed methods of attack. Avoiding dragons is certainly good, but he does not wish to leave the town at the mercy of a dragon. If the dragon is indeed being controlled by the wizards (and not being magically inclined, he is not even sure that it is possible), that control will be lost if we kill the wizards first. If he serves them, they may even be restraining his avaricious and greedy nature. The dragon however is only one opponent, and so taking it on first might prevent it from devouring them all after the wizards have weakened us. It may even be possible to return to town and recover, or do so in the dragon's lair, before facing the cabal.

The arguments for taking on the wizards first is also a good plan. Otherthan voicing his opinions, he has no preference and will go along with the majority view.

The part that prompted this post and is what my preamble was all about, is the summoning of animals to be slaughtered by spells. garrick doesn't know much about magic other than it sometimes useful, sometimes erratic and sometimes destructive nature. he believes that when Stythel and Gwylln summon up celestial beings, that they are more spirit than life-force, and therefore aren't really being killed, if it appears they do so.

However, when Stranng summons an animal, it is real, flesh and blood. He sees these creatures as friends lending a helping hand, who sometimes die, but just as often return to where they came from. He finds it disgusting and repulsive to summon these animals as living shields, knowing full well they are going to die, because that is indeed the reason for the summoning. He feels that Druids and Rangers are here to protect nature from those who would do precisely what we are talking about doing, needless destruction.

Garrick has a strong sense of honor, loyalty, reverence and value for life. You have noticed that he acts as the protector of the weak (he always stood by Thora) and defender of animals (it is he that looks after the safety of the steeds when they have been forgotten by others). He would die for any of you and is no coward (having been slain once in defense of the group). He feels that this plan of action is dishonorable, and while he will not stop it, he will not be pleased by the summoning of wolves and bears and the like, just so they could drop dead before us.

I repeat: This is Garrick's opinion as a character only, and NOT a condemnation on the part of the DM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jaskyn mentioned something about bringing animals along in case of a death spell, though he also mentioned a distaste for the idea. He has no desire for innocent creatures to die. Especially with two rangers and a druid in the party, Jaskyn is pretty sure the overall call would be for not bringing along any animals that weren't for combat purposes.

However, he would find Garrick's outrage at the use of summoned animals/creations a tad on the melodramatic side as well as wrong. If anyone has ever used leather armor, ridden a steed into battle, or fought by a creature (Summoned or trained)when weapons or combat spells are involved-Then they've used an animal to better their chances of survival even if they see that animal as a beloved companion. An animal's life is not equally important to those of his human and demi-Human friends. What's more, this is not JUST as the purpose of a 'death spell sponge', because Jaskyn doubts very much the summoned creatures would be ordered to "just stand there".

Being Netrual Good, he does indeed value life, and it is lives that he's concerned about. The lives of the villagers for one thing, and they come before Plucky the Guardian Chicken. [img]smile.gif[/img]

With luck, and quick reflexes, the deathspell will never get off in the first place.

The idea of beseiging wizards with multiple attacks makes sense to him, and summoned animals might help with that.

That aside, he can (given the time to get it again... knock on wood) cast death ward twice.
    THe problem is, that leaves someone vulnerable to dying again (Garrick, Straang, and himself) assuming he can ward before hand with appropriate timing. If he does it too soon, they wear off and are no good. Too late, and the spells may never be put up.

His suggestion is to ward Straang, and then either Garrick or himself depending on who will be within 30 ft during the fight. He does not have much in the ways of missile weapons himself, but he does have some spells, and Garick is a good archer (Not as good as Merilin, but who is? [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

OOC: The above is all Jaskyn's personal In Character and thoughts on the subject. If it were up to his player, we'd just grab some lawyers/Barristers and lob them at the mages. I mean, I feel GUILTY about cute animals dying, but lawyers are in danger of overpopulaton [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 20, 2004 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Dramavictim ]</font>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast