Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't matter what the class out-of-state is. If a out of state school has an enrollment equal to a Single A school in the VHSL, then it's only fair that the school counts as a single A school towards points. Why should Haysi get credit for playing a AA school when that school only has like 300 or 400 kids? As far as Honaker's schedule goes, I agree it was a good move by Honaker even though we got killed in the rider points this season. Lee had that big upset over Abingdon, Ervinton had a better than average season which was a feather in Haysi's cap, Lebanon had a couple key injuries and lost to Chilhowie by a point and to Rural Retreat in the last play of the game. Of course all of those things are out of Honaker's control, but one thing that can be changed is to get John Battle off the freakin schedule! I think Honaker needs to try and get Castlewood back in place of Battle.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 07, 2005 07:53 PM: Message edited by: honaker tiger fan ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Dunduin:
    I disagree, I think Hurley's program will benefit from this weak scheduling by getting more people interested in playing. <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ November 07, 2005 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Dunduin ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly. An 8-2 season where the 2 losses were both lop-sided affairs does not warrant "improvements" to the schedule. Until Hurley can compete with Haysi and Honaker regularly, there schedule needs to remain as soft as it is. Next year, Hurley will have to replace Big Creek. I have no idea who they will have to find in there place (possibly Grundy; didn't they just sign for 1 year with Haysi?), but I expect it to be a tough game to fill.

Of course, I think there are some games Hurley should drop anyhow, such as Thomas Walker (worthless trip, worthless game) and Tug Valley (just no simple way to get there).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

at least haysi and honaker have improved their schedule a little,both made good moves and bad moves at least haysi got jenkins off of our schedule they are the worst team I have ever seen. I was embarassed for people to see them on our schedule!

Question why do SWVA teams not play NET teams.Im not talking about teams like Unaka I am talking about good ones like Tennessee high or Sullivan East,South or some of the others? Are they better than us? Travel? What is it

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think WV was the reason the VHSL says "what would they be if they played over here?"
    They have 36 AAA schools, but only ONLY ONE is AAA by Va's numbers - and SEVEN would be counted as A! (Va uses 695-1650 for their AA numbers this year & next.)
    WV AAA enrollments

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by redtiger:
    Question why do SWVA teams not play NET teams.Im not talking about teams like Unaka I am talking about good ones like Tennessee high or Sullivan East,South or some of the others? Are they better than us? Travel? What is it
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It doesn't seem like many NET teams have to hunt for opponents like most SWVA teams do. For the most part, they are able to fill there schedules easier. I'd say travel is an issue too, as outside of Abingdon and VA High, the travel for the rest is over 2+ hours AND out of state. Grundy and Graham I know of have schedule Tenn High in the past ans Graham has even played Greeneville in the past couple years.

Regardless, I think the fact that they have less need to hunt for games (most of there districts have 6 or 7 teams in them where as we have a couple aorund here with just 4 or 5) plays more to the reasoning we don't schedule them instead of the level of competition.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I disagree, I think Hurley's program will benefit from this weak scheduling by getting more people interested in playing. I don't like the idea of dropping ervinton from haysi's schedule either. That is a traditional inter-county game even if it's almost always a blowout.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 07, 2005 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Dunduin ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

makes sence but I think it would be cool to mix things up if we are going to schedule KY teams we need to at least pick up good ones.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wonder how good a good A or AA team From Va (ex. Haysi, Honaker, Graham, PV, GC,......) could do against Belfry Ky. here in recent history.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can drive for 10 minutes in NET and pass 3 or 4 schools. You can drive an hour in parts of VA and not see 1 school. GC used to play Tennessee schools. They haven't since Tennessee High and Sullivan Central went off the schedule a few years ago.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think it was an upset when Lee beat Abingdon...the falcons have been pretty much awful for several years now.

Betsy Layne was AA(div 3) by VHSL standards last year but they had a pretty drastic drop in enrollment which brought their numbers down to div 2. I think Haysi scheduled them thinking they would be considered div 3 like before but didn't know their enrollment would fall like that. That 3 extra points they would have gotten if B.L. would have remained div. 3 will likely be the difference in GC edging Haysi for the #1 seed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast