Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All of their starters would ATLEAST be the #2 option. Lester would be the #1 option in many cases. Viers is a PG and good PG's distribute the ball not just score. There are better scorers around but overrall I feel Kevin is atleast the 2nd best player in the district. I feel he is probably the best at his position in the region. If either Goodman or Baldwin had played for Haysi in place of Kevin then Haysi would not have done as well as they did. Goodman is a good ball player no doubt but I've never really seen much out of Baldwin to impress me...classic underachiever thus far, that could change though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree to a certain extent with your posts BGJ and GBR.. lol.. if certain kids played together things might change..
    I agree Viers is a good one.. BUT.. as far as pure pt guards distributing the ball, playing defense and scoring when needed (unselfishly).. Vandyke is my pick.. I'd make Viers a 2 guard because of his shooting ability.
    I havent really been convinced on how good of a defender Viers is..
    Lester would always be a go to guy! Inside or out! For Me..
    I think the thing TV had this season and the reason they went as far as they did.. Balance..Just like happened against TS 2 times.. they guarded Lester.. so Kent, Logan and matt stepped up the second half.. Second time.. they guarded Matt and lester.. KT stepped it up.. Its been like that all year (a different one comes up big)..
    who knows maybe some of these guys might be suiting up together before long.. i hope so..
    Oh, heres another stat for ya.. if i'm not mistaken.. KT probabley scored 900 points while distributing the ball to 3 possibly 4 1000 pt scorers!! IMO TV had to have a player like that to get ppl the ball.. Thats what i mean about unselfish! Lots of players dont get recognition if they aint putting up big pt #'s.. KT could, but elected to do what was best for his team..
    By me saying this I'm not implying KT is better than viers or anyone else. Different players bring different things to the table!
    I'll say this.. Viers took his team along ways in the end.. Hes deserving of being called #2 player in the BDD for doing what he did with his team..

This is a message board and i guess we can all have our thoughts and opinions..

Heres some more BDD trivia stuff.. How many players that have played on the same team that has scored 1000 pts.. TV has 3 and Baldwin should get his next year.. Kt fell just short! Pretty dang good aint it..

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 17, 2006 12:33 PM: Message edited by: DawgHouse ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well Council did it with Ratliff, Rasnake, N. Rasnake and Tiller. ALso Whitewood did it in 1970 with Robinson, Moore, Jewel and another guy i have not got his name but i will. SO pretty tough, Council also had that team with Rasnake and Nuckles and i dont know if another one of them did it or not? I am sure there are more in teh Garden era with Belcher and the Deskins boys, and Keene. But like you said it is impressive. I will say i have to disagree with James on this one Viars is good but hey you cant say that all 7 of TV's player would be 2nd option to him, how many pts did he score on TV this year? If he was that good he would have done more. THe kid is good i will not and never had took that away from him. He is the Best 2 guard in the BDD but he is no where near the best PG, Shoot first Pass second is not a pg. Lester is better at his positon than Viars and Vandyke is better at his than Viars, as is Shortridge is better at his position i feel. Bladwin is a big man and i cant compare those 2 but someone needs to get Matt to be AGGRESIVE!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

didnt Haysi have some teams in the late 80's and 90's that had several scorers.
    I figure Hurley had some in Mark Coopers years...

I know there for years there were some team always putting out 1000 pt scorers 1 year after another.. But, back in the earlier years before holiday tourneys and such.. most teams only played 18 games if that and didnt have a 3 pt line!!

Yes.. definately.. Matt Baldwin MUST get agressive for TV to repeat as dist. champs..

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 17, 2006 02:58 PM: Message edited by: DawgHouse ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I didn't say that all of TV's players would always be a 2nd option to Viers...I said they would all ATLEAST be a 2nd option if they played for Haysi. Meaning they would be no worse than a 2nd option. Lester would have been the 1st option in most cases just like I posted. Viers shot first passed 2nd because he had no other choice. Who was gonna score other than Ryan when he passed it to them? Ofcourse TV is gonna shut down one player for any team because they were well coached and had a lot of talent...thats to be expected. If Viers had played for TV he would've had as many assists as he wanted in any given game. The fact his Haysi had no chance to win unless Viers looked to score. Nothing against KT VanDyke because he is a great player but all around is not as talented as Viers. To be in the position Viers was in and still lead his team to the regionals and single handedly almost knock off a final 4 team with alot better team top to bottom(TS) speaks very well for the kid. Its tough to play perimeter defense as well when you don't have alot of inside help. You end up having to take alot more chances. Kevin's defensive ability is better than most and he gets in passing lanes as well as anybody. Haysi's style of play sometimes hurts good defensive players with all the run and gun. Bob Johnson from Emory said Viers has the potential to be as good on defense as anyone he's had in awhile and is the primary reason he is recruiting him. Anyone who knows much about Johnson knows he only recruits guys who will play defense.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The only guys I know about that scored 1000 from '86 to '94 at Haysi was Carlos Gulley, Terry Gulley and myself. Carlos and I combined for over 3000 between us but nobody else on our 3 state tournament teams from 90 thru 92 scored 1000. Terry had about 1100 pts from '85 thru '88 and George(Gulley) had about 990 during the same time period. Shaun Tiller scored his 1000 toward the end of '96 I believe. Then you had several guys score 1000 at Haysi from '97 thru '03 including Brett Compton, Kory Bostic, Justin Deel, Dustin Mullins and Robbie Colley. Add Jake Colley to that list for '05 and Kevin Viers for '06.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 17, 2006 05:54 PM: Message edited by: biggamesjames ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know Bob Johnson and he is an asshole!!! But Viers is a good ball player, one will never know how much Vandyke could have scored with all the other options he had on the team, he gave us a glimpse with 4 three's in the game against TS but both are great ball players in their own right but Viers is not any where near Vandyke Defensively there is no comparison and Vandyke handles the ball i feel better than Viers, now Viers may have a few more tricks in his belt to score and has a little more lift in him also i feel. Also one more note Bob Johnson's son Casey was the worst player maybe ever at Emory i played agaisnt him and he blew chuncks flat out.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I remember Bob's son and he was terrible...I agree also that Bob is quite a jerk. I also agree that VanDyke is a good ball player not taking anything away from him at all...just don't think he is as talented overrall as Viers. Just my opinion from what I have saw...that being said I don't think Viers is as good overrall as Lester and there have been a couple of guys who played the PG position at Haysi who were also better than Viers...namely one Jason Mondrage who could score as well as distribute.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can tell you the Council history on 1000 pt scorers but that is the extent of my knowledge.
    Mike Ratliff was the first to get it. Had 2 guys with 991 before that(Dave Bostic and Greg Tiller) from earlier days. Dave Bostic played only 2 years of varsity, had over 900 JV points in 3 years. The '96 team had the four seniors with 1000 and Matt Presley played with them 1 year, had a couple of years without alot of help and then was a senior when Ryan and Brad were freshmen. Matt had over 1500. Ryan and Brad both had their 1000(Brad over 2000) then Kent had gotten his before the transfer. Matt's brother Craig had over 980 but was a senior when the '96 team were sophomores and that limited his scoring since he was the point man. Matt's uncle Ted was over 900 also(family thing). James should remember Craig and Ted, they were sophomore and senior when you were a senior.
    Unless I've missed someone here's the rundown.
    Brad 2000+
    Mike and Ryan 1600+
    Matt 1500+
    Adrian Rasnake 1300+
    Chris Tiller 1100+
    Neil Rasnake barely over 1000
    and I'm not sure how many Kent had before leaving.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've enjoyed watching these guys play for along time. I wish them and all the other senior players best of luck in the future.. I've also heard the 4 seniors at TV have had interest from some local colleges. Thats why i made the statement you never know who might be suiting up together or continuing the battle in the near future!! lol That would be a good thing.
    Hopefully they will get a chance to play again..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast