Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Great strategy by Francona taking Beckett out after 80 pitches. The difference between throwing 80 pitches vs throwing 110 pitches is the difference between throwing on three days rest versus four days rest.

One of the game changing plays in last nights game was Franky not getting to a soft liner in right that fell near his feet with the bases loaded. It would have taken a great play to catch the ball and if Franky plays in Fenway Park all year long he probably makes that catch.

I strongly suggest that the Indians give Franky a solid practice session in right field. I would innovate a fielding session with Franky and put up really thick pads against the right field stands and let Franky get his timing down so he knows how hard he can go without going full force into the wall.

I hope Trot has shared his experiences playing right field.

When one factors in the stands are filled during a game with rabid cheering fans it's that much tougher to guage how close one is to the right field foul stands or the outfield wall before putting on the brakes.

I've seen other outfielders shy away from catchable balls in right field in Fenway, including a walk off home run ball off the bat of David Ortiz against Tampa Bay in September. The right fielder for Tampa Bay was probably intimidated by the fans because after he took the wrong path to the ball he seemed reluctant to run to the right spot quickly enough. A fan in a front row seat caught the ball at waist level, a catchable walk off home run ball if the outfielder had more practice playing out there.

If Franky makes the catch in that pivotal inning last night, probably several less runs score and that may have forced Beckett to stay in the game longer since the score would have been closer. The domino effect from that one play is large. However I'm not blaming Franky. I am suggesting Franky get more practice time out there before Saturday night's second game and hopefully Trot shares his wisdom with Franky as well.

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ October 13, 2007 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 13, 2007 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Huge game tonight. Can the Tribe win at home?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tribe now 3-0 at home, 2-2 on the road.

If we make it to the World Series won't it be cool that Vic Martinez's home run in the All Star Game was difference maker and gave the American League home field advantage this year!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You need to concern yourself with winning a big game tonight before looking ahead to the Rockies.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I did say if, not when. Although the Indians are the better team this year. If the Red Sox can sneak in a win in the fifth game, they'll have a shot, but this could be over really quick also.

Hostboard Member Morten Andersen's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Go ahead and stick a fork in this series.

Yet another Indians gag job.

I predict Boston over Colorado in 5 in the World Series.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good call, Morten. That was a choke job.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It was not a choke job. The game was swinging back into the Indians favor and sadly, the coaches actually took the game away from the Indians players in that fateful 7th inning. At the very least the score should have been tied going into the bottom of the 7th, and if Westbrook comes out to pitch, them momentum shift might have continued.