Over the years I have noticed a disturbing trend. Whenever a Cleveland team beats a supposedly "better", more established opponent, heads roll on the other team.

You see, losing to Cleveland in a critical game requires someone be sacrificed from the losing side.

I noticed this trend about a decade ago. Whenever Troy Percival would be lit up by the Indians in the ninth inning,
Troy would immediately be put on the disabled list, It happened at least twice, maybe more.

Over the years, the trend for a team that has lost a key game to a Cleveland sports team was to banish someone immediately thereafter. What's even sadder is the amount of times a head has rolled is really just the tip of the iceberg. For every head that rolls because of a loss to a Cleveland sports team, there are another 10 times where the media and fans of the losing sports team DEMANDED a head roll.

And that brings us to Joe Torre. After George Steinbrenner first demanded Mr. Torre be removed if they lost to the Indians in the playoffs, cooler heads prevailed.

Although Mr. Steinbrenner apparently has rolled his own head in the process.

If Cleveland defeats Boston, then maybe it wasn't Joe's fault, the cooler heads have rationalized. Meanwhile, if the Indians do eliminate Boston, won't it just mean a new chant will arise in Boston that heads must roll there as well? When does the head rolling end and the respect begin for Cleveland? One could even make the argument that the Indians success in this years playoffs led to Bill Stoneman's resignation in California! "If Cleveland can roll through Boston and New York, fumed Angels higher ups.
Exit Bill Stoneman.

Detroit loses to Cleveland in the NBA Playoffs this past season and the cry goes out that somebody's head must roll for the playoff series loss.

It's bad enough Cleveland already his it's share of infamous losses immortalized with such names as Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, the Catch and the Shot.
That doesn't even count the Indians being the first team to ever lose after leading in the ninth inning of the 7th game of the World Series! Dare I name it "The Collapse"? Knowing that other teams actually eat their own if they lose to a Cleveland sports team is a trend that must either stop, or become part of Cleveland folklore.

Since heads seem to roll more often after a loss to a Cleveland sports team than other teams, I recommend we tribute those who have lost their heads after losing to a Cleveland sports team.

How about a headless monument be built with the tumbled busts of all the coaches that have lost their jobs and players that have gone on the D.L. or been traded after losing a pivotal game to a Cleveland team.

Cleveland rocks, now let's be known as the town that will knock your block off as well. Paging Mr. Torre, your ceremonial bust will be the centerpiece of the Heads will roll monument, unless of course Cleveland beats Boston as well.