Thread: Texas Rangers Centerfielder CHEATS during game....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Rangers centerfielder Gary Matthews Jr. made an incredible fake catch on a Vic Martinez drive the other day. (It was the first game in the series against the Rangers at the beginning of the week).

Matthews ran up against the wall and with his arms outstretched the ball hit the wall and bounced into his chest, as he turned towards the infield, he acted as if he had caught the ball.

Not only did the "catch" count, but Travis Hafner was doubled off of first. The one saving grace was that we won the game anyway.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 30, 2005 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I guess I have a new Gary Matthew's jr. Story.

That 9th inning was really amazing. Almost every out and every play was a bang bang style of play. The play that sticks out, besides Travis's game winning home run, was the Angels Vlad Guerrero double play in the bottom of the ninth.

Many things happened on that one play that can be appreciated. Marte makes the grab on a hard hit ball to third and is able to wait just a moment while Carroll goes to cover second base, without messing up his timing on the throw.

Carroll sets himself at second, straddling both sides of the base with his feet, catches and makes the throw with his full weight on his lead foot. Matthews Jr., who was sliding in at full speed could have severely injured Carroll if he had gone for Carroll's weight bearing leg. Instead, Matthews went where the open space was and avoided slamming into Matthews leg. A very classy move by Matthews.

I especially appreciate this because it was Matthews whom around August 16th, 2005 while with Texas saw a first inning ball go over the fence and bounce back but threw it back in and the Indians runner at first was doubled off instead.

Here's what I wrote back then "Rangers centerfielder Gary Matthews Jr. made an incredible fake catch on a Vic Martinez drive the other day. (It was the first game in the series against the Rangers at the beginning of the week). Matthews ran up against the wall and with his arms outstretched the ball hit the wall and bounced into his chest, as he turned towards the infield, he acted as if he had caught the ball.

Not only did the "catch" count, but Travis Hafner was doubled off of first. The one saving grace was that we won the game anyway." (end quote)

My memory was slightly off, it was a ball hit off the fence, not a home run that bounced back.
    --------------

I thank Gary Matthews Jr. for playing the game clean and hard and avoiding a situation in which he could have injured a player and "gotten away with it".

So as the throw went towards Casey Blake, Casey made an amazing pick up on a ball that bounced literally a 2-3 feet in front of him, it was a terrific pick up. Suddenly there were two outs in the ninth and the game was practically over. Just a couple of games ago Ryan Garko made several nice pickups at first but he did miss a Cabrera throw that was thrown slightly slower to first that bounced just in front of the bag.

Give Wedge credit for the defensive change in the ninth that put Marte at third and Casey at first. Maybe everything would have been different if the substitutions had not been made, but seeing Casey Blake skillfully pick up that throw at first to ensure a double play means Wedge made good ninth inning substitutions.