I like Sowers.

I suppose last year the hitters were swinging at pitches that looked like strikes but were balls. This year, probably because of advanced scouting reports, the hitters don't swing at the borderline ball pitches anymore, and this is hurting Sowers more than anyone imagined.

I feel for the guy because after starting 0-2 last year, Sowers went 7-1 the rest of the way and was second in ERA after the All Star Break, only Johaan Santana of Minnsota had a lower ERA in the second half of the season than Sowers.

THE WHOLE CLEVELAND LIVE FORUM was begging to have Sowers keep pitching last season as he approached his innings pitched maximum. It must be quite a shock for Sowers to have been so good last year and then to struggle so mightily this year.

No reason to be mad at the guy, he did so well last year and earned his shot this year. It's barely been two months into the season and based on how consistent Sowers was last season of course he's got to get at least that long to get untracked.

The Indians do have several key decisions to make, and I don't necessarily want to see them spend millions of dollars this year and then miss out on resigning CC and Travis because they spent too much money now.

What do do about Roberto? What to do about Sowers, What to do about the outfield talent that is percolating in the minors, I certainly don't want to see them traded, yet we have six years in contract time currently locked into non power hitting vets blockading them.

At some point, Shapiro needs to see that Vic, Travis, CC, and Blake are not only the core, but they are the vets that stir the drink. ONE outfield vet is all we really need, maybe two. We have three, and a fourth in waiting in Casey Blake. That is not good.

Did Guthrie really get enough of a look in the majors? Everytime he came up, he didn't do spectacularly well, but he wasn't completely awful, certainly better than Mr. Hernandez has been.

Guthrie has an ERA barely over ONE against all other teams in the league not counting Cleveland. Wasn't Guthrie worth one more shot before being basically given away?

I think the long relief role has been the forgotten role that would allow us to try out our "bubble" pitchers. Guthrie would have been a perfect long relief person to trot out this season and give one final chance.

(moderator note, I had put an extra in Jeremy's name and I took it out)

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 07, 2007 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>