I'm glad Marte is back, but.....

Casey Blake has learned to hit the ball to right field when necessary and Casey has also been playing a fine third base, Casey fought off several two strike pitches before doubling to right field with the bases loaded last night. Marte looks to be in good shape, but once Shapiro decided to sign Trot Nixon while keeping Casey as an everyday player along with Ryan Garko it has really compromised late inning strategy. If we have a bunch of one run games against Detroit, I don't like our chances simply because we have no late inning outfield speed or "strong arm" that might come in handy against Detroit. Trot has done a good job of getting on base but if it's late in the game and we're tied with Detroit and Trot does get on base, I want to see either Choo, Franky, or Ben Francisco pinch run for Trot and then take his place in the outfield for defensive purposes.

If Casey plays third and Trot is in right field, who ya gonna call to pinch run for Trot late in a game? Not Marte. Not Rouse, (because then we have no back up infielder) Not Shoppach, and not Michaels, who plays left field. No late inning real substitution strategy can be used in these critical 7 games that are upon us that involve Detroit and I think we will lose at least one winneable game because of it.

Perhaps Rouse can be used as a pinch runner, Casey moves to right field, and Marte takes over at third, but then we no longer have a middle infielder in case something were to happen to either Jhonny or Josh, or Rouse could stay at third and then Marte pinch hits for Rouse the next time through the line-up. Kind of complicated no? Especially when simply pinch running for Trot and then putting that pinch runner in Trot's spot is so much simpler and a better overall fit.