Thread: Did Grady & Coco make Jhonny a Better Hitter?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I'm wondering if the combination of both Grady & Coco and their speed on the basepaths contributed to Jhonny getting more fastballs last season.

It's pretty much a given that last season, Jhonny came up at least once a game, and sometimes two or three times a game, with FAST runners on base, which usually means more fastballs from the pitcher.

In 2006, there is no Coco in the two spot, and it may be affecting Jhonny, who is seeing less fastballs and has also just been moved farther down in the line-up. Jhonny is currently hitting under .230 and striking out around 30 percent of the time.

I said SEVERAL times on another forum that the number two spot in the line-up is the most unheralded yet crucial spot in the line-up because it bridges the speed game to the power game while also acting as a second lead-off guy if the lead off guy did not get on base.

Coco was the perfect number two guy last season. Michaels is an OK replacement, but the lack of the threat of a stolen base may mean Jhonny is seeing way less fastballs.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know, by Coco Crisp ***** this year

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As it turns out, Jhonny hit better with no one on base then with runners on. However, in 2005 what this basically meant was that in the first inning one of either Grady, Coco or Jhonny managed to get on base with Vic and Travis due up, a very strong scenario.