Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

It seems like Michael's is either up or down day after day as to whether or not he's an ample replacement for Coco.

Michaels couldn't beat out a double play in the 6th inning even though Grady was able to barrel into the relay guy at second after almost getting to second safe.

When was the last time you saw a guy safe at second but the relay throw beat the guy at first on a non hit and run play?

I doubt it happens more than once a year, but it almost happened in the 6th inning with Grady on first and Michaels batting, that's how long it took Michaels to get to first base.

Clearly, Michaels does not get out of the box fast enough, especially when he swings too hard. I think Michael's is a bit too pull happy. The harder he swings the longer it takes him to finish his swing and get out of the batters box.

I'd recommend Michaels consider not being so pull happy late in a game if Grady is already on base because the odds of him grounding into a Double play are much higher than Coco because he's slow getting out of the batters box.

I timed Michaels today at 4.2 seconds to first base when he hit into his double play, whereas Coco would make it in 3.8-3.9 seconds and would have easily been safe on the same play.

Then in the 8th, Michaels was trying to pull the ball against a pitcher throwing 99 miles an hour who got Grady to whiff on two straight fastballs followed by a curve.

Seeing how hard the pitcher was throwing, and how Grady was having trouble keeping up with the fastball, it seems likely that Michaels would have been better off hitting towards right field. Yet for some reason Michaels was trying to pull the ball against a guy throwing 99 mph! Michaels of course, made the final out of the inning, stranding Boone at second.

Coco would have either turned on the pitchers fastball or hit it to right, but at this point, I'd at least like to know that someone goes over the last two at bats Michaels had and gets him to see the error of his ways.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

The tribe should encourage Michaels to embrace the Pete Rose way to play and encourage Michaels to play like Pete Rose.

Michaels slashes the ball the way Rose did. Let's face it, Rose was the ultimate overachiever, not too fast, not too powerful, yet he did enough to make a difference game in and game out.

Michaels needs to let the Rose in him come out. No dirty stuff like ramming into an unsuspecting catcher, but every at bat should be a mission to get on first base.

That bunt Michaels laid down a week ago was the best I'd ever seen. He bunted like he was a pool player aiming the ball towards the side corner pocket and nailing it.

The other team had infielders flying over each other doing cirque de soleil moves trying to get to the ball.

Bunt more, walk more, just spray the ball past the infield and get on base.

That's all Michaels has to do with Travis and Vic hitting right behind him.