Thread: The Flaw in Mr. Shapiro's Plans.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If we "Rebuild" and "Dump" talent in exchange for prospects...haven't we strengthened our foes?

Right now, if we simply dumped Wil Cordero and re-signed Juan for one year, and pitched our young pitchers next year...would we not be the team to beat?

Wouldn't we be better than the Yankees?

Since the Yankees have now signed Jason Giambi, perhaps we would not be better, but we would be their equal.

If instead we let Juan go, and trade Robbie to the Yankees, don't the Yankees stay better than us?

So right now, just by re-signing Juan for one year and keeping Robbie, we keep talented players out of the market for other teams to restock on, and this would prevent those teams from becoming better than us.

I think Robbie needs to be more involved with the younger players...I don't have proof of this, but I think Robbie is so good he doesn't want to show off, and others who could use his guidance and expertise are intimidated in asking for instruction from him.

-Alex

------------------
    Alex

Inactive Member Babe Root Canal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That WOULD be a good plan. Too bad Juan and his reptilian manager are not the least bit interested in signing another one-year contract. Juan obviously intends to be collecting on his next contract when he's in traction later on down the line. Buh-bye, Mr. One Night Stand.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I looked at the top two paid players on every baseball team, and ALMOST HALF spent a significant amount of time on the D.L.

Juan has a 50 million dollar insurance policy on his back, he could afford to do one year at a time.

It would be a real gutsy move, and it could really help us out this upcoming year...

Although, Dolan seems intent on paring down his budget IMMEDIATELY, even if it costs us a championship.

------------------
    Alex

Inactive Member Babe Root Canal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, it costs a shot at the ring this year, to be sure. But, 2003 could be a different story. More appropriate free agents like Jermaine Dye or Jeff Kent (3B?) will be out there, and the Tanks will be full of themselves after winning yet another brass-plated ring in 2002, and thus will not have to sign every good FA out there for 2003 while everyone else dives for coins.
    Maybe Dolan knows what he's doing. We won't know until we know.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This idea of rebuilding is a myth.

Reload, not Rebuild. I hate the idea of losing a years momentum...if attendance drops, Dolan will want FURTHER payroll cuts.

All we need is Juan.

------------------
    Alex