Thread: Comparing Andrew Jones to Manny Ramirez......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/1113/1277609.html

Words we all wished would have come out of Manny Ramirez's mouth...have instead been uttered by Andrew Jones....

Obviously, Manny's dad is not the man that Andrew Jones's dad is...

But, according to Shapiro, a player like Jones is someone who could never play in Cleveland....because 12.5 million per season is off the radar...

for shame...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andruw Jones agrees to six-year extension

Associated Press

ATLANTA -- Andruw Jones could have tested
    his value on the open market after next season.
    Instead, he decided to stay with the Atlanta
    Braves.

Jones and the Braves agreed Tuesday to a $75
    million, six-year contract that runs through 2007.

"Everybody was talking about going to free
    agency," Jones said. "That was all just talk. I told
    the Braves when we were done with the season
    that we would talk and we would come to an agreement."

That's exactly what happened. General manager John Schuerholz said the two sides met
    Monday and had no trouble working out a deal.

"Andruw decided what he wanted to do," Schuerholz said. "When we spoke, we learned
    quickly that we were pretty much on the same page."

Jones batted only .251 and struck out 142 times, but he also had 34 homers, 104 RBI
    and won his fourth straight Gold Glove.

"He was still able to amass very, very strong numbers as far as run production,"
    Schuerholz said. "No one is totally happy with what Andruw did as compared to what
    he is capable of doing. But we still think he's one of the best, brightest, exciting young
    players in all of baseball."

Jones is represented by Scott Boras, who has compared the 24-year-old outfielder with
    another of his clients, shortstop Alex Rodriguez. Almost a year ago, Rodriguez agreed
    to a record $252 million, 10-year deal with Texas.

While Jones won a record $8.2 million in salary arbitration last winter, he insisted that
    money was not his primary objective. He relied heavily on the counseling of his father,
    Henry.

"I don't want to have more money than everybody," Jones said. "I just want to live
    comfortable. In the future, I don't want to do something else to raise my family. But I
    never thought about making $20 million."

He would have been eligible for free agency after the 2002 World Series but felt
    comfortable with the Braves, a team that has won 10 straight division titles.

Jones alluded to Rodriguez, who had the best season of his career while the Rangers
    were finishing last in the AL West.

"All those people making $20 million never make the playoffs," Jones said. "I want to
    stay with a team that's going back to the playoffs, back to the World Series."

Jones' best year was 2000, when he batted .303 with 36 homers and 104 RBI. This past
    season, he reported to spring training a little heavier and saw his average slip 52 points.
    His strikeouts jumped from 100 to 142.

Those numbers may have contributed to the firing of batting coach Merv Rettenmund,
    the only member of the staff who wasn't brought back for 2002.

"I didn't have the great season that everybody expected me to have," Jones said. "This is
    a good chance for me to tie in for six years. When I'm 30, I can be a free agent again
    and we can make decisions on the contract again."

Jones broke in with the Braves at age 19, homering in his first two World Series at-bats
    at Yankee Stadium in 1996. He became a fulltime starter the following season.

The long-term signing of Jones begins what figures to be a busy offseason for the
    Braves, who won lost to Arizona in the NL championship series.

Closer John Smoltz, catcher Javy Lopez, All-Star pitcher John Burkett and nine other
    players have filed for free agency.

"It really doesn't change anything," Schuerholz said. "We do have some cost certainly
    with Andruw, which will be helpful as we move through the process. But we've got to
    be fluid and flexible."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish someone would read this article to Manny Ramirez.

------------------
    Alex

Inactive Member Babe Root Canal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

True enough, but then, Andruw isn't the franchise hitter than Manny is, and probably never will be. I think he's STILL over-paid.
    Manny, on the other hand, is a primadonna, made so by adoring Tribe fans, and a svengali agent. Where IS that dad?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah Dad, perhaps you and your son could pay a visit to the high school and the coach who perservered in keeping Manny on track instead of hanging out in gangs.

Is it really true Manny has never gone back to his high school, not even once???

Or is this just a vicious rumor.

I hear the school could use a few bucks for upkeep on their sports programs.

Maybe Manny has some friends with dough.

------------------
    Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited December 09, 2001).]