Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was reminded of one that I had forgotten!

Richie Sexson had three triples in a game when he played for us.

What a way to become a fan of his overnight!

3 triples is cooler than three home-runs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And of course, the infamous Albert Belle home-run against Baltimore during a nationally televised game on ESPN, it was either Memorial day or July 4th.

We came back from a 4-0 deficit and it is now 4-3 in the 8th inning.

There are two runners on base, and Albert Belle has two strikes.

Albert Belle calls time-out and goes to the bench to change bats!

Joe Morgan questions such a move since Albert already has two strikes on him. JOe Morgan questions the wisdom of changing a bat with two strikes because you don't have any pitches to waste to get used to the new bat.

The very first pitch Albert sees from the pitcher with his new bat, he drives the ball over the wall for a three-run homer, and we win the game 6-4.

Joe Morgan quietly laughs at himself and says something like, "Well I guess that's why I'm up here and Albert Belle is down there...

A Classic Moment.

------------------
    Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited December 10, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Three triples is pretty impressive. Did you also know that last season he K'd 5 times in one game for the Brewers? The guy strikes out alot but sure is a nice ballplayer. Sure would look good in a Tribe uniform!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sean Casey, Richie Sexson, Herbert Perry, we have had numerous 1st Base Prospects that we traded for pitching and because we already had Jim Thome...

At least Thome appreciates Cleveland, unlike Manny, who was oblivious to the fact that we traded Justice and Giles and made ourselves real vulnerable to needing Manny to stay even before contact negotiations with Manny had started.

------------------
    Alex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

one game i will never forget was on september 27, 2000 against the twins. for that last month, almost every game was a must-win and this one was no exception. i don't remember who pitched that game or how the score got to be what it was but the tribe was trailing 3-2 in the bottom of the ninth with bob wells pitching. i remember, it seemed as if everyone on the team had lost it. they knew they were in trouble and that their season was in jeopardy. all of them knew it. all but one. travis fryman. he came up there in the ninth with the season on the line and on the first pitch, drove one to deep left field and off the railing of the homerun porch. at first, the umpires ruled that it had hit the top of the wall and it was a double, but after confering, they ruled it a homerun. i will never forget tom hamilton's call of that homerun. his voiced cracked. he sounded like a little kid, he was so excited. for the first time ever, he was not a baseball announcer, he was a tribe fan. and he did not go back to being a baseball annoncer until the call had been reversed and he shouted, "we are tied at 3!"

later that inning, sandy alomar hit a deep drive to centerfield that just came up short and then the twins took the lead in the 10th without hitting the ball out of the infield. dumb luck.

in the bottom of the 10th, lofton was on first with 2 outs and alomar at the plate. alomar hit one into the rightfield gap and i remember screaming at lofton to get his ass moving. i have never seen that guy run faster than he did that night but they held him at third. the next batter, manny ramirez, hit a scorcher but right at the second baseman to end the ballgame.

the indians lost that game and they ended up missing out on the playoffs by one game. still, i will never forget travis fryman stepping up there in the ninth and single-handedly pulling his team out of a hole. he is the ultimate competitor and i have loved him ever since.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, my computer was broken back then, since I don't live in C-Town, I would watch ESPN updates at the bottom of the television screen the way investors watch the stock market for stock updates.

I saw the Manny Ramirez smash for the final out on my local news sports section...I couldn't believe how hard he hit, and that it went right to the second baseman.

Do you think Lofton could have scored on the previous play?

------------------
    Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited December 10, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i think he would have scored had the waved him home, but i can see the theory in NOT sending him:

manny is on deck.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Although, with Riggleman's Track Record, it figures he didn't waive Kenny home.

Although with two outs, if Kenny was moving on contact, it seems to me he could have made it home.

Was that the game where Jolbert Cabrera was playing so deep he let a ball fall in front of him in the tenth inning?

The field was wet, and because Jolbert was so deep, the ball rolled farther, and of course, got soggy and slowed down faster, causing Jolbert to have to run even farther to get the ball, and of course, his throw was a slop fest since the ball was super soggy.

Once again, poor outfield positioning.

------------------
    Alex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. The Rock's four homers in Baltimore
    2. Vic Power stealing home twice in one game.
    (I'm too old to remember the years; late 50s, early 60s)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

alomar's hit was cutoff before it reached the wall. had it gotten through, there is no doubt the game would have been tied. but it didn't, so a play at the plate would have been very close. i think it would have taken a perfect throw to get him.

i don't think the game i'm speaking of is the one where cabrera was too deep. if i remember correctly, the twins scored their run in the 10th without hitting a ball out of the infield.

let me see if i can find a recap somewhere.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

gotta love google.com:
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/2000/20000928...og/mincle.html

CLEVELAND 9TH
    Bob Wells relieved Eric Milton. Fryman homered to left. Eddie Guardado relieved Bob Wells. Thome struck out swinging. S Alomar hit for C Perry. S Alomar flied out to deep center. E Diaz struck out swinging.

1 Run, 1 Hit, 0 Errors
    Minnesota 3, Cleveland 3

MINNESOTA 10TH
    Bob Wickman relieved Paul Shuey. Pierzynski reached on infield single. Rivas ran for Pierzynski. D Hocking reached on infield single, Rivas to second. C Guzman sacrificed Rivas to third, D Hocking to second. Lawton intentionally walked. Koskie grounded into fielder's choice to second, Rivas scored, D Hocking to third, Lawton out at second. D Ortiz hit for Blake. Steve Karsay relieved Bob Wickman. D Ortiz struck out looking.

1 Run, 2 Hits, 0 Errors
    Minnesota 4, Cleveland 3

CLEVELAND 10TH
    Latroy Hawkins relieved Eddie Guardado. Segui hit for Jolbert Cabrera. Segui grounded out to first. Lofton singled to left. R Branyan hit for Vizquel. R Branyan lined out to left. R Alomar singled to right center, Lofton to third. M Ramirez grounded into fielder's choice to second, R Alomar out at second.

0 Runs, 2 Hits, 0 Errors
    Minnesota 4, Cleveland 3

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast