Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Garcia, who played in 20 games for Cleveland last season, said he regrets leaving the Indians.

What the heck are Agents for anyway?

It was obvious that with the injury to Escobar and Cabrera, and with the tenuous position at best for Cordero and Anderson, that Garcia was going to get his chance before the end of May.

Plus, there was the possibility that Branyan might replace Fryman at third...so why the heck did he toil in the New York Yankees Minor league system?

Because his agent took a chance for the big bucks.
    Garcia's agent should be reprimanded for being so stupid and for putting his own interests before Garcia's.

But then again, there is no one to sanction the agents, and that is the saddest aspect of all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Tribe was stupid to cut Garcia in the first place. Garcia made the final decision, not his agent. I think Garcia was fed up. He's supposed to be a five tool prospect. Did well in his trial last year. He did great this Spring, but the Tribe kept the washed up Brady Anderson over Karim.

It's understandable that Garcia would think he had no chance in Cleveland. He did not deserve to be cut. He also knew that New York was looking to upgrade their right field situation. Stuck in AAA again, I'd have gone wherever I could make the most money, too. But I think the decision lay with Garcia, not his agent.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I still blame the agent...why the heck is it all that agents ever do is go for the most money or for New York? It was obvious Karim was going to get his chance in Cleveland by the end of May.

I bet after Garcia signed his minor league contract with New York that this agent moved to New York and just started shaking as many hands as possible saying, "Hi, I'm Karim Garcia's agent and there's this book I'm writing...."

"Integrity, thy name is not AGENT!"

Is it possible that if Garcia hits really well in the majors that not keeping Garcia from the get go might be Shapiro's biggest mistake of the season, far surpassing the hoopla surrounding the Robbie Alomar trade when that trade was first announced.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 07, 2002 05:09 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, he's back now. In his first game, he was 3-4 with 2 doubles.

I think Garcia will provide friendly competition for Bradley. I also think Karim serves as an example to young Milton of what can happen to a five-tool bonehead. Playing for five different teams is no way to start a career.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anybody know why Karim has moved around so much? I remember him with the dodgers a few years back, but I don't recall anything negative off the field that would cause a bad rep.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On the other hand, if Karim had never left Cleveland, that would be four, or five teams...instead of six? (is Cleveland conunted twice among the six?)

Paul Konerko was on three teams and was floundering before righting himself.

Was Karim really the bonehead or just rushed before his time?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Dodgers do a good job of over-hyping their prospects, and rushing them up. Beltre is the latest example, and Mondesi is a classic.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's been a while now but at one point in the mid 80's the dodgers had a streak of five or six Rookie of the Year winners in a row!

Wow!

We ended up with one of those winners, and he did well for us for a couple of years. A pitcher by the name of Rick Sutcliffe.