Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Browns win 20-3!

Winslow seemed to be involved in the key play that turned the momemtum towards the Browns.

In the third quarter Garcia threw two incomplete passes on very short "gimmee" routes and things were looking grim in the low scoring 3-3 duel with the Baltimore Ravens.

Suddenly, Kellen Winslow Jr caught a 3rd down pass for a 20 yard gain and then Quincy Morgan caught a 46 yard touchdown pass on the next play and the Browns never looked back.

I read some predictions that the Browns would go 5-11 this year, but with Suggs (who did not even play today), Green, and Winslow, the idea that Northcutt, Davis and Morgan might be fourth options is quite remarkable.

I think the addition of Winslow is going to open the field more for every other offensive player on the field. A tight end who is as effective as a swift wide receiver and can block reminds me of the Cleveland Indians switch hitting Catcher Vic Martinez.

Such a pleasant offensive "bonus" from what is usually thought of as a defensive position gives the team a lift.

Kellen, if you're reading this, don't have your contract reworked babe, it's only been one game.

It will be interesting to see Suggs and Green together with Winslow and Northcutt and Morgan. Garcia might just be having some field days in the upcoming weeks.

The defense seems rejuvenated this year. They held Jamaal Lewis to 57 yards on 20 carries. Last season Lewis ran for 295 yards and 205 yards, a total of 500 yards in the two games against the Browns. It's only been one game but the Browns do appear to have more well balanced depth on offense and a few tigers in the tank on defense.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So we lose to Dallas and we lose Courtney Brown for the season, Winslow perhaps for the season, and Garcia gets a ZERO RATING for the game.

Ouch!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Finally, Suggs and Green in the game together and doing it ala Mack and Byner.

Green rushes for 115 yards against Cincinnati, Suggs gains 100 yards.

This opens up the field for Davis and Winslow, well, it would have opened up the field for Winslow if he wasn't injured.

Wow, a four pronged attack with Northcutt as a fifth option, scary stuff.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I just saw a reference on TV during the Philadelphia/Cleveland game that compared Suggs and Green to Byner and Mack.

I read that Jeff Garcia has the fourth best interception to passes thrown ratio in the history of the NFL. That would explain why Garcia looks so bad at times. I just saw him throw a third down pass to Suggs and it was low and bounced in front of Suggs, but the reason the pass looked so bad was Garcia was ensuring that it wouldn't be intecepted.

Garcia errs on the side of nobody will catch the ball rather than putting it where it has a greater chance of being intercepted, and as a result every now and then his pass attempts look hideous.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Tonight the Brownies play Baltimore.

This comes two weeks after a highly entertaining and thrilling game against Philadelphia that we lost in overtime on a 50 yard kick.

The Philly game was such a great game. Butch Davis had to decide whether to go for it on fourth and 1 and 1/2 yards from the Cleveland 40 plus yard line.

A first down and we are only one or two first downs away from the game winning field goal. We don't get the first down and we probably lose because McNabe only has to go ten yards to be within field goal range.

As it turned out, we got a poor punt off (which hardly ever happens) and McNabe ran a quarterback option for 25 yards.

Philly was undefeated and we scored a boatload of points against them, so I am very encouraged by the tandem of Suggs and Green, which only make our
    receiving corp that much better.

Even with Winslow injured and Davis hampered by a toe injury, the Browns offense was fun to watch. Having two running backs who can catch the ball out of the backfield will make this a fun team to watch for some time to come.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks like that overtime loss to Philly was the key to the season. Looks like if we had gone for the first down on fourth down and gotten it, and then won the game with a field goal, perhaps we are 6-4 right now instead of 3-7.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks like the Browns get the second or third pick in the draft. Wouldn't it be wild if we picked USC's Mike Williams (who sat out the year) and then in the second round we picked up that dude from Ohio State named Maurice Clarett.

What line-up, Winslow, Clarett, Williams, Suggs, Bryant and Green. hehehehehehe.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I heard Clarett was a no show at some scouting combine. Doesn't do his case much good. I wouldn't take him unless he's around as late as the 4th round.

Inactive Member ClevelandFanInCMH's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Crennel doesn't strike me as someone that will spend a pick on a player with the baggage Clarrett is carrying. He was a heck of a player the one year he played for OSU and definitely helped them win the National Championship but he only played college for one year and he got hurt a couple times. He could be a great player in the NFL but he is a gamble!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is it possible that no team wants to risk a first round pick on him, if so do you take him if he's still available in the second round?