Thread: "That kid they threw out there today was tough. ... He was nasty," Mientkiewicz said

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamece...020914_MIN@CLE

Davis cruised through five innings in his first major league start, retiring six of the first eight batters he faced. He went 5 2-3 innings, allowing a run on six hits, two walks and three strikeouts.

"That kid they threw out there today was tough. ... He was nasty," Mientkiewicz said.

Thome has reached base in 43 straight games. . ... The Twins took the lead in the season series 8-7. Minnesota is 42-21 in the AL Central. ... Indians LHP Dave Maurer became to 57th player used by the Indians this season, a club record.

From CBS Sportsline.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 21, 2002 05:03 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamece...0020920_CLE@KC

Jason Davis gets his first major league win. And he pitched well again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once he was handed the lead, Davis was able to stay in control.

"I was able to locate my fastball early in the game and that helped me," he said. "My split bailed me out of some jams. I was able to get my fastball in on some hitters and get some bat contact. I got a big double play (with a runner on and no outs in the fourth inning).

Notes: Kansas City has had 14 straight non-winning months and has not had a non-losing month since June 2001. ... Thome extended his streak of reaching base safely to 48 games. It's the longest current streak in the major leagues. Thirty-seven of his 47 home runs have come off righties. ... Burks extended his hitting streak to 10 games (17-for-38, .447). ... Royals 1B Mike Sweeney went 1-for-3 with a hit-by-pitch, keeping his batting average at .342, second in the AL to Manny Ramirez of Boston (.345).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't Sweeney become a free-agent if the Royals are under .500?

If Thome goes, then Sweeney should be the target. The next best thing to a 50 HR guy is a batting champ with 40 2B, 20 HR power. You get the same number of RBI at the end of the day.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That quote was from LAST SEPTEMBER!