Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why not? Let's trade a few prospects to the Mets for Mike Piazza. (perhaps the Mets agree to pay part of Piazza's remaining contract).

It's a no brainer. Put Piazza at first.

Too bad we dumped Rico Rodriguez. I would have loved to have packaged him with three other pitching prospects for Piazza.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In case you're wondering why didn't we just resign Thome, because Thome wanted SEVEN YEARS.

Piazza only has 3 or 4 years left on his contract.
    I think it will be a mistake to not have an established vet at either DH or 1st base next year.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Consider this.

We may lose some talented prospects via the Rule 5 draft this winter. Wouldn't it make more sense to package them for an instant Hall of Famer?

One possible snafu to my idea is I think Piazza is close to breaking the all time home-run record for catchers. He may not want to become a first baseman until he has broken that home-run record for catchers.

Otherwise, next year could be spent re-looking at Haffner and Broussard, as both have had moments that make you wonder if with regular play they could be decent players.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And if we got Piazza, he spell Martinez at catcher and catch 50 games a year! I like it!

So we could trade Bard to the Mets along with the other rule V prospects.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This just in. The mets first round pick in this years draft is facing accusations/charges. As a result, the Mets have broken off contract negotiations.

It appears that even when the Mets are most hungry for an infusion of prospects, they are being denied. They really might like 3 or 4 prospects, plus Josh Bard, for Piazza.

I sure wish we still had Rico Rodriguez. RR, Bard, and 3-4 prospects we will probably lose in the Rule V draft for Piazza...could be interesting. The Mets get prospects galore, some with major league experience, a dump in salary, and we get instant star power, and at a crucial power position.