Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nothing wrong with Belliard. He is not an all world second baseman - he is an average guy who will not have to do much to accomplish what he was signed to do: add pop to the bottom of the lineup.

Martinez was switched from short to catcher many many years ago and has been concentrating his work at catcher since then.

And Corey Smith, whom I suspect you have never seen play, actually improved his defense during the season. As I have written extensively, I have sincere doubts that third is his final position, but yes I would rather play someone at third who has played third in the minors then move someone out of position.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't agree that players can't learn new positions in the majors.

Here's an example: Ray Boone.
    Boone was hitting .355 in the Texas League in late 1948 when Cleveland shortstop-manager Lou Boudreau was hurt. Boone, who had been converted from catcher to shortstop that year, was called up in time to earn a World Series share. Before long he forced Boudreau to switch to third base.

Boone had a powerful throwing arm, but bad knees and ankles limited his range. He led AL shortstops in errors in 1951. Traded to Detroit in an eight-player deal in 1953, he was switched to less-demanding third base, and his hitting improved. He more than doubled his HR and RBI output, hitting 26 HR, including four grand slams. A righthanded line-drive hitter who could handle the curveball, in 1955 he led the AL in RBI with 116

Cal Ripken, Jr., while he broke in playing both third and short, played shortstop exclusively for many years before being moved back to third.

I think that a young guy like Martinez or Crisp could make a position change. Don't forget, this year's Tribe is still supposed to be rebuilding. This would be a great time to try them out at second and third.

I know it won't happen but that's because the Tribe's deep thinkers just don't have the imagination to try something different.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

Moving along the infield is one thing. Want to talk about moving Peralta to third or second, for instance? Not a far fetched move.

But moving Martinez to third? No. Willing to bet Boone had at least moderate experience at third when he moved there - Martinez' only experience there is if he fields balls there during batting practice.

At least Crisp actually had played the position. But I am willing to take whatever the Cardinals did or did not see in him and leave him in the OF. If he doesn't have the arm to play center why would he have the arm to play second?

Sorry Roto - your idea is right in theory, but in practice in these circumstances is wrong.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by The Crank:

But moving Martinez to third? No. Willing to bet Boone had at least moderate experience at third when he moved there - Martinez' only experience there is if he fields balls there during batting practice.
    <font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well that certainly is interesting. And frankly, practice makes adequate, and I'll take that from a potential hitting machine such as Martinez. Martinez has Wade Boggs written all over him from an offensive point of view.

At least Crisp actually had played the position. But I am willing to take whatever the Cardinals did or did not see in him and leave him in the OF. If he doesn't have the arm to play center why would he have the arm to play second?
    <font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gosh, that sounds a bit backwards in logic, don't you think? I've never heard of someone saying his arm is too weak for second, lets put him in center. And remember, the Cardinals thought lowly of Adam Kennedy, who was instrumental in the Angels playoff run and World Series Victory a year and a half ago.

Sorry Roto - your idea is right in theory, but in practice in these circumstances is wrong.
    <font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Roto's points were all solid. Especially in a year where we need to see all of our prospects flourish offensively.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12