Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

When the Indians traded Milton Bradley, the Dodgers would not part with **** , their set-up guy to Gagne.

The Dodgers had the WORST offense in either league last year, and the BEST relief in either league. The Dodgers played in 72 games decided by one run last year, yet they would not part with **** to get Bradley.

The Dodgers were being stubborn.

After the successful first year many of our ballplayers had last year, the LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO is sit them on the bench this year.

Some here call the Indians stingy for not signing a big name during the offseason. I say it was the Indians being stubborn in the same manner the Dodgers were stubborn about not trading **** .

Other than the Belliard signing, and even with the loss of Bradley, the Indians still lead BOTH leagues in OBP and are neck and neck with the California Angels for most runs scored.

The Indians have been Stubborn, not Stingy, by committing to several players that they developed last year.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think they would make the argument that they have been consistent. They would say they are sticking to a plan and things are going as planned.

The problem with that argument (as you point out) is that they are hitting the ball. Their hitting should be enough for the Tribe to contend. The problem has been the pitching. With pitching, things have not been going according to plan. In fact, the pitching has been so bad, that the Buffalo pitching coach just got fired. And it is with the pitching where I think the Tribe has been stingy, not stubborn. Specifically: Baez. I think a pitcher should be allowed to have one bad year. Yet the Tribe couldn't wait to get rid of him. I also thought even at the time, that Jaret Wright should have been converted to a reliever and the Tribe should have kept him. In Wright's case, however, the choice may not have been with the Tribe. He might have insisted on leaving...I don't know.

But I do think the Tribe underestimated the quality of the hitters, and therefore didn't get the quality pitching they would need to contend. My question is, "is there anything they can do to contend this year?"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When your starters consistently go 6 or 7 innings, it is easier to fix your pen because your pen is never worn out.

It's easier to find a problem in the pen if you don't throw into the equation if the pitcher was overworked.

Since our hitters are good, and our starting pitching is decent, (just need a fifth starter), fixing the pen is still possible.