Just when Casey had hit his first of three homers, I did some research on Casey and discovered that he was horrific when the count was 1-2. Casey was 2-23, the second worst on the team (Coco was first).

I did some more research and discovered that in every other count situation Casey's cumulative average was actually around .265!

So I began to think that Casey might come out his funk. I said so on Cleveland Live.

-----------------------

76749 I found Casey's Weakness
by ItsAlex, 5/27/04

-----------------------

76910.1 Still Leading BOTH LEAGUES
by ItsAlex, 5/28/04

in OBP, it's not quite as dire as you say.

I think Casey may have turned a corner. He's had three decent games in a row. Other than when the count is 1-2, (where Casey is 2-23, the worst on the team), his stats average out to around .265.

If he can turn on more pitches before the count goes to 1-2, or know when not to swing, his season could turn around.

Especially if he is over his hamstring pull.

------------------------

If Casey can really hit .260-270 and continue to increase his walk total as he has, BUT AVOID 1-2 COUNTS, he might not hinder this team this year. I'm encouraged that when Casey first pitch swings, swings on a 1-0 or 0-1 count, his average is over .300, that is a good sign. It tells me that Casey is working on when to take a pitch but when Casey sees a good pitch he is actually hitting it for a hit.