Thread: Blue Jays Promote Single A pitcher to the Majors, Indians sit on their Prospect...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many similarities between the Blue Jays and the Indians in their dealing with the Dodgers just before the baseball season started.

The Blue Jays promoted their SINGLE-A prospect to the MAJORS WITH INCREDIBLE RESULTS, the Tribe just sits on their Major League Prospect, "developing" him in the minors.

Is the tribe more interested in keeping minor league attendance higher for greater revenue purposes?

If Andrew Brown is the equivalent of Jason Frasor, why is Brown still in the minors?

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...200405,00.html

Blue Jays reaping more from Frasor-Werth trade

By Tony Jackson
    Staff Writer

TORONTO -- Barely two months later, it's too early to say Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi got the best of his close friend, Dodgers GM Paul DePodesta, in a March 30 trade between their respective clubs. But it isn't too early to say the Blue Jays got far more out of the deal far more quickly than they were supposed to.

The Dodgers gave up minor-league right-hander Jason Frasor, who had no experience above Double-A, to get outfielder Jayson Werth, who was supposed to bolster their bench.

Werth has spent all but six days of the season on the disabled list, although he did homer in his first game back Friday night at Arizona. Frasor, meanwhile, got a surprise call-up from Triple-A Syracuse on April 14. Since then, he has not allowed a run in 21 of 22 major-league appearances and entered Tuesday night's game against the Dodgers with a 20-inning scoreless streak.

He also has morphed into what amounts to the closer role, although manager Carlos Tosca hasn't officially bestowed him with the title. Frasor is 4 for 4 in save opportunities.

Not bad for a guy who didn't want to be traded in the first place and who especially didn't want to be traded days before camp ended.

"I was kind of disappointed," Frasor said. "I had my bags packed for (Triple-A) Las Vegas. I loved the Dodgers organization, and I didn't want to have to change organizations so near the end of spring training. But obviously, things have worked out pretty well."

Trading Frasor wasn't something DePodesta did thoughtlessly. Frasor was a legitimate pitching prospect who had put up spectacular minor-league numbers before and after missing the 2001 season with an elbow injury while in the Detroit organization. Frasor, acquired by the Dodgers after the 2002 season, was promoted to Double-A Jacksonville midway through last season and promptly converted 17 consecutive save opportunities for the Suns, setting a Southern League record.

Still, there likely would not have been a place for him in Los Angeles this season.

Miscellany: Dodgers reliever Paul Shuey, who has been on the 15-day disabled list all season with the ruptured thumb tendon he suffered the final week of spring training, threw live batting practice for the first time Tuesday and later called the session "very positive." He will throw at least two more sessions before beginning his minor-league rehabilitation assignment. In a pregame ceremony, closer Eric Gagne was presented with the 2003 Tip O'Neill award from the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame. Reliever Brian Falkenborg, who went 1-0 with a 7.53 ERA in just six appearances over six weeks, was optioned to Las Vegas to clear a roster spot for Hideo Nomo. Nomo, who had been on the 15-day disabled list since May 20 with a split nail on his right index finger, was activated and started against the Blue Jays.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 09, 2004 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry Alex, but I don't want to see anyone from Single A promoted to the majors just yet. Patience is a virtue here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

But when you have bad outings from your relievers that are costing you games and ARE the difference from being in first or five games out, it might not have hurt to give him a taste of the majors, even if it was a temporary opportunity.

As long as he understood he was not too through harder than normal, I don't see the harm.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nope. Disagree completely. Moving people up from Buffalo yes. Akron maybe. Below that - no. Too much of a risk for damage.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think Howry might prove pretty useful. I don't know how he's pitching, but his stats have been pretty good lately. Also, Wickman--although maybe not him.

Maybe Tadano will work out as well.