Carlos Boozer Debate from February of this Year...

Props to Tankster for an amazingly accurate prediction 5 months before it happened.

tankster
02-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Orig posted by CBBI
That third year team option was GENIUS because we can let this season end, pick up that option and then have Boozer be a restricted FA after next season.[QUOTE]

That team option could turn out to be a curse as well. It would suprise me if the Cavs wanted to exercise that team option because that would essentially force Carlos to play out another full season horribly underpaid at 695,000. Which he might not look upon with favor!!

In addition to that, at the end of the option year, he'd be at full bird rights, and any other team could extend an offer which the Cavs would have to match if they wanted to retain his services. That could cost them a bundle!

From Carlos' standpoint, if he gets talked into signing long term after this season, the most the Cavs can offer him is the MLE for 6yrs, and you could make a case for his being worth far more!!.....Result.....He leaves a bunch of money on the table.

I could see a deal for 2 years at the MLE with a Player Option after the first year, thereby allowing them to renegotiate long term after next season for what he's worth.

What's he worth????.....With continued strong play, barring injury or other misfortue, if he continues to put up Brad Miller numbers, I can see him being worth Brad Miller money.........Last I looked that was about 69mil over 7yrs.

Just the way I see it................Tank