Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Top Ten HSU Basketball Players

This thread is a little bit past it's prime... but I stumbled on it when I googled a few HSU basketball players. Was curious to see what Austin Nichols was doing these days, as well as Fred Hooks. I watched them both play in the Final 8 in Bakersfield. They were the real deal and possessed the talent to play pro ball. I played with Mike Hammond. He definitely makes the list as does Alan Erickson. Hammond is an HSU Hall of Famer. Not sure about Alan. Mike was silky smooth, but hard nosed, and a fierce competitor. Remember, us guards back then did not have the 3-point line, so Mike would have averaged about 24 points per game, as many of his buckets came from beyond the arch. He was a 6'3 2 guard that could play the 1 and 3 as well. H was athletic and could dunk off either foot. He was crafty. Had crazy one-on-one skills and could take the opponents best defender (who was always guarding Mike) off the dribble and to the rim to finish. I didn't play with Alan (I played with his older brother Mike), but I had the opportunity to watch him play when I covered sports working at KVIQ-TV. Alan was a beast. Only 6-5, but very Larry Bird like. He was the craftiest 4 man I have ever seen at that level. He had so many circus shots and the green light to use them from Coach Wood. I understand it's a different game today - much more athletic, and a lot faster, but there were a few guys who could really turn it up back in the 80's. -Brett Scott

Junior Hostboard Member ftslv75's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Top Ten HSU Basketball Players

How many of them went to the NBA?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12