Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking Humboldt's Attendance

Nice crowd last night vs. East Bay...1648 in the house.

Let's compare that to several D-I crowds from box scores on Sunday...

Princeton - 1,525 vs. Goucher (whatever that is)
    Northern Arizona - 592 vs. Sacramento State (nice move Mr. Flaggs)
    Tulane - 1,443 vs. Eastern Carolina
    Indiana St. - 3,407 vs. Northern Iowa (#20 in the nation)
    Youngstown St. - 1,670 vs. Wisconsin Green Bay
    Florida Gulf Coast - 659 vs. Mercer
    Canisius - 1,178 vs. St. Peters
    Stetson - 768 vs. Kennesaw St.
    Manhattan - 1,452 vs. Siena
    Maryland Balt. County - 1,355 vs. Boston U.
    Stony Brook - 1,139 vs. Albany

See a pattern here? Is there a D-II on the west coast that comes close to supporting its hoops teams like HSU does? Lets' look at average home attendances from other D-II schools out west...

#12 Seattle Pacific - 505
    #15 Western Washington - 889
    Cal Poly Pomona - 702
    Dominguez Hills - 340
    San Bernardino - 481
    CSU Los Angeles - 288
    Alaska Anchorage - 777 (in games outside the shootout)
    Alaska Fairbanks - 374
    MSU Billings - 784
    Sonoma State - 514
    Chico State - 689
    Humboldt State- 1278

Um, I guess the answer is a resounding NO! Do you think the players appreciate the support they get up here? Go back and watch some of the interviews w/ JB Mathers. I think all of them talk about the crowds and support and how much they enjoy playing up here and going to school.

I guess that the conference understands that too, and they realize that Humboldt is the only school that will provide the conference a profitable conference tournament in March. Unlike San Bernardino where the tournament has been held the past few years, this year's tourney will likely be sold out. Smart move CCAA.

So I wonder whether players that HSU is recruiting consider this aspect of the program. I sure would think so. In looking at prospective schools, do players realize that we've basically got a mid-level D-I program up here? Great job by the coaches, athletic department, and the players in putting together this extremely successful program that we're proud of and eager to support. Go get 'em this weekend down south!

:2thumbsup:
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Humboldt's Attendance

While I agree that no one comes close to matching our attendance, I have noticed that a number of CCAA schools have much better attendance this as compared with years past. Chico and SF come to mind, about 700 and 500 per game respectively. Those SF numbers are WAY up, I was at the HSU game last season in SF and there were MAYBE 200 people there and mostly HSU fans. I think that as the years go by, the small market schools will start to see more people in their gym.

Yes, the CCAA leadership saw the light in the Northwest. I am already planning to go to every conference tourney game, men's and women's.

Keep up the good work, HSU fans, let's get that average over 1400 for the season

btw, there are some mid western DII schools that average around 2000-3000 per game, Findlay, Kentucky Weslyan, and Grand Valley come to mind....of course as I am fact checking I see that attendance for those guys is much lower than I have seen in years past. Findlay and Grand Valley are both at around 1000, huh, I seem to remember their fans gloating on the forum in the past about their great support

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Humboldt's Attendance

Humboldt's up to an average home attendance of 1327. Heck, the women average 514. I'd like to see that higher, but a big reason that's low is because their games start @ 5:30...hard for many to get there by then. Still, 514 is a higher average than many MEN'S average in the conference outside of HSU. Let's look at some of those MEN'S averages in the CCAA...

Monterey Bay - 394
    San Bernardino - 609
    Dominguez Hills - 377
    Stanislaus - 430
    Pomona - 647
    East Bay - 391
    CSULA - 343
    Chico - 802
    SF State -540
    Sonoma - 632
    UCSD - 869

Source : http://www.goccaa.org/custompages/mb...tm?path=mbball

Great job fans! Let's pack the place again tonight and for the CCAA tourney!
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]