Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kinder's Choice of Assistants Speaks to his Philosophy

Interesting the people Kinder has brought in. Del Rio's a good fit and will be a good model for the players...hard worker, tenacious, never quit as a player. He won the "bulldog" award given by the coaches to the toughest player after his sophomore season I think it was.

Asprilla was a successful JC assistant. We'll see how that translates to this level. He's also from Columbia. I wonder if that might translate to a South American connection in recruiting.

In looking at things posted about him when he played college ball, Hardy was similar to Del Rio in work ethic and perceptions. This is what one of his coaches said about him...

"Hardy Asprilla is the hardest working, toughest kid on our team. I don’t think there is anyone more competitive, plays harder, or tries harder than he does. He’s a lion out there. There is absolutely no quit in him at all."

Hopefully bringing in these coaches will instill a higher level of toughness. It appears that's what Kinder's after.

Whatcha think?
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Inactive Member Humboldt Super Fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Kinder's Choice of Assistants Speaks to his Philosophy

Here is my take on these selections for coaches.

If there is one thing that Humboldt State has lacked in the last few years, it has been toughness. I feel we have seen a brand of basketball that is exciting in many fronts, but it has not be a recipe for a deep run in March. With Hardy Asprilla and Efren Del Rio coming on board, I think we will get the toughness that we need in order to close the gap with San Bernardino and Pomona.

I like these hires. I think Asprilla will offer a new look at the defensive end of the court, which was one of his responsibility at Citrus College. I will say that Citrus played really good team defense. Last year, Citrus College allowed their opponents to score 59 points per game while they scored over 80 points a game. Based on that, it is a similar offensive philosophy that he is coming into at Humboldt State. We have a team that likes to score points, but the defense needs working on this off season. I think Asprilla will bring that area of expertise that is needed to get Humboldt State to the next level.

When we talk about Del Rio, it is a good opportunity to get his feet wet and learn what it takes to be a successful coach at the college. He will have two great mentors in getting an opportunity to shine and improve his value as a coach in the near future.

In the end, these are two great hires for the program and it will bring a toughness attitude that has been missing as of late.
    Go Jacks!!!