View Poll Results: What will Humboldt's regular season record be?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 14-13

1 16.67%
  • 15-12

1 16.67%
  • 16-11

0 0%
  • 17-10

1 16.67%
  • 18-9

1 16.67%
  • 19-8

1 16.67%
  • 20-7

1 16.67%
  • 21-6

0 0%
  • 22-5

0 0%
  • 23-4

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predictions for the season

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Predictions for the season

Okay, tomorrow's the first exhibition game of the year and the first game in a new era of Jacks Basketball. How well do you think this team will do? There are many more unknowns this year, considering the regime change, several new faces on the roster, etc. Despite that, I feel this team has the potential for a 20-win season in Kinder's first as head coach. Not sure I have anything to base that on, but having a healthy Brian Morris earns you some wins right there and the early pre-season schedule helps.

Based on a 27 game schedule before the conference tourney, how many wins do you see this team achieving? It'll interesting to revisit this thread in January once we've see the team play together for a couple of months.
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Inactive Member Humboldt Super Fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Predictions for the season

Techincally, the regular season is 26 games in length. Yes, I see the exhibition game in the schedule to make a 27 game season, but the game tonight do not count in the final standings.

I look at this team and I see a lot of potential from the backcourt. I see Brian Morris lost a lot of weight and looks good heading into this season. There are some good things that has potential for the upcoming season.

I will outline this a little more in the preview, but I think one key this season will be the defense and toughness. The last few years, the Lumberjacks have been more of a soft team that does not like to bang down low in the blocks. Also, I think the team at times have been too dependent on the three point shot. For Humboldt State to have a great season, I think the Lumberjacks need to bring a blue collar attitude onto the court each night and see where it goes from there.

A Premlinary projection for wins right now before this exhibition game, I would say 18 to 19 wins before the conference tournament. That would translate to the team having to win a couple of games in the conference tournament to make the West Regionals for the 10th time in 11 years.
    Go Jacks!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt Super Fan View Post
    Techincally, the regular season is 26 games in length.
    Huh...they must have dropped one of the NAIA games they had scheduled prior to the Mac Martin tourney in Chico...a month ago three games were scheduled prior. Oh well...those wouldn't have counted toward their SOS anyways.
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They still do. They play Bethany(11/13) and Menlo Colleges(11/20). Super Fan was probably not counting the exhibition game if i can speak for him

Go Jacks!

JB53

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB53 View Post
    They still do. They play Bethany(11/13) and Menlo Colleges(11/20). Super Fan was probably not counting the exhibition game if i can speak for him

Go Jacks!

JB53
    I wasn't either...they did have one other NAIA game prior to the Chico tourney, not including the exhibition listed on the website when the schedule was first released. Oh well. Those games are throwaway games anyway...won't help toward their SOS.

The football team needs to start getting away from scheduling all these non-DII teams as well, especially if they hope to make a playoff run. Sucks...if they win out they'll have only one D-II loss and still may not make the playoffs. They need to schedule an RMAC school like Adams State. When did they play them last??? Like 3 years ago wasn't it? They need to set up a home and home w/ an RMAC school every year...that would do it...and drop Menlo, the team that epitomizes sportsmanship, eh? Screw em.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksfan View Post
    I wasn't either...they did have one other NAIA game prior to the Chico tourney, not including the exhibition listed on the website when the schedule was first released. Oh well. Those games are throwaway games anyway...won't help toward their SOS.

The football team needs to start getting away from scheduling all these non-DII teams as well, especially if they hope to make a playoff run. Sucks...if they win out they'll have only one D-II loss and still may not make the playoffs. They need to schedule an RMAC school like Adams State. When did they play them last??? Like 3 years ago wasn't it? They need to set up a home and home w/ an RMAC school every year...that would do it...and drop Menlo, the team that epitomizes sportsmanship, eh? Screw em.
    I agree. Actually they played last season (HSU 36 - Adams 24). With the addition of a trip every year to Canada another trip out of state to put in the budget may be out of the question???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB53 View Post
    I agree. Actually they played last season (HSU 36 - Adams 24). With the addition of a trip every year to Canada another trip out of state to put in the budget may be out of the question???
    That's a good point...hadn't thought of that...the problems/issues w/ D-II football out west.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Impressions thus far?

It has been interesting to watch the roster dwindle as players have either been hurt, chosen to redshirt, or left the team. Since it's now official that Lipski and Hall will not play this year, the eleven players that will carry this team the rest of the way are set. It also appears that their roles are set as well.

It is apparent that the coaches are choosing to play 8 players primarily: Morris, Hunter, Sperling, EBK, Spada, Baxter, Clark, and Broome. IMO, another player that will need to give quality minutes at times in the post is Buchanan. Since Morris draws a foul if he breathes on an opposing player, it's inevitable that he will get in foul trouble. Buchanan will have to provide some production on the boards and defensively when he's in the game.

Overall, the team is better at this point in the season than anyone thought they would be, and they have entered the national poll at #26 (the first listed as "others receiving votes"). If the guys remain healthy and injury-free, a regional berth is a certainty assuming they continue to play for each other and get better. Could this team possibly host the regional? I know it's too early to talk about that, and they must have a one-game-at-a-time approach the rest of the way...the ultimate sports cliche.

According to the talisman red computer rankings, the CCAA is the top conference in the nation, so the conference champion should host the regional. The conference should get 4 teams in the regional as well. Just keep winning! Good job Jacks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know that Hall broke his foot and is out for the rest of the year, but why isn't Lipski going to play? I talked to one of the coaches after the Stanislaus game, and he said that Lipski would be eligible after the semester ended, which I took to mean when grades were posted. Did they just decide to redshirt him or is he still not eligible?

With regards to their record for the season, they are 11-1 right now. They have eight more home games to play and six road games. The road games include two trips to LA (SB, Pomona, CSLA, and Dhills) which should be brutal. I see them going 6-2 at home and 2-4 on the road, which would result in a 19-7 year, which would be very good. The 15-7 conference mark would probably get them third place, which would result in a home playoff game.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, we're down to 10 players now. Derrick Buchanan has quit the team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast