Thread: Jacks vs. Bethany (11/13 @ 3:30)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jacks vs. Bethany (11/13 @ 3:30)

score: Jacks 87-59
    scorer: Morris 21
    rebounds: Morris 12
    assists: Sperling 7
    blocks: Baxter 1
    steals: Sperling 3
    turnovers - 13
    field goal % - 51%
    3 pt. % - 34%
    free throw % -79%
    Rebouding margin: Jacks +11
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Jacks vs. Bethany (11/13 @ 3:30)

score: Jacks 95-60
    scorer: Morris 25
    rebounds: Morris 11
    assists: Sperling 8
    blocks: Morris 2
    steals: Sperling 4
    turnovers - 11
    field goal % - 55%
    3 pt. % - 40%
    free throw % -75%
    Rebouding margin: Jacks +14

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

score: Jacks 90-60
    scorer: Morris 21
    rebounds: Morris 9
    assists: Sperling 4
    blocks: Morris 2
    steals: Sperling 2
    turnovers - 11
    field goal % - 49%
    3 pt. % - 35%
    free throw % -70%
    Rebouding margin: Jacks +7

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

score: Jacks 79-62
    scorer: Sperling 18
    rebounds: Morris 8
    assists: Sperling 4
    blocks: Morris 3
    steals: Sperling 1
    turnovers - 13
    field goal % - 41%
    3 pt. % - 36%
    free throw % -69%
    Rebouding margin: Jacks +5

Inactive Member Humboldt Super Fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It has been twenty years in the making. Coming up on Saturday, first year head coach Steve Kinder will get his opportunity to make a mark on the Humboldt State Men?s Basketball program. For Coach Kinder, it will be his head coaching debut as the Lumberjacks will take on the Bethany University Bruins to open the 2010-2011 season. The tip off is scheduled for 3:30 PM from Lumberjack Arena. The broadcast of this game will be joined in progress following the completion of the Humboldt State-Simon Fraser football game on ESPN Radio 1340 AM. Manny Machado, who covers the Sports for News Channel 3, will provide the play by play action from Lumberjack Arena. The game will be broadcasted on the Internet at Humboldt State University Athletics. The Internet broadcast will start at 3:15 PM.

Coming into the season, Humboldt State has been a West Region force for the past decade as the Lumberjacks made the postseason in nine out of ten seasons since the 2000-2001 season. New head coach Steve Kinder was a key component to the success as he was the # 1 Assistant Coach and the main recruiter under his mentor, Tom Wood. In the last ten seasons, the Lumberjacks were 217-77 and won one West Region Championship in 2004. This season appears to be a golden opportunity for Coach Kinder to build on the success that he and Coach Wood built in the last decade.

Let?s look at the team.

The Lumberjacks brings back six players from last season?s team that made it to the West Regional before losing in the first round to Cal State San Bernardino. Brian Morris is back for his senior season. Morris was named a Preseason All American by the Division II Bulletin as he averaged 15.1 points per game while grabbing 6.4 rebounds per game last season. Joining Morris back for the upcoming season are Ernie Spada and Kyle Baxter. Spada, who is a senior, is one of the main three point threats for the Lumberjacks as he hit 55 three pointers last season while averaging 7.2 points per game. Baxter, who is a junior, came off the bench last season averaging 7.2 points per game, but he will get an opportunity to start this season. The one thing about Baxter?s game is that he can shoot the outside shot and be able to get to the basket with his long frame. These are three of the key returning players that will see a lot of action on the court this season.

Looking at the newcomers, Brandon Sperling has impressed the coaching staff in the practices and in the exhibition game to earn a spot in the starting lineup. Sperling is a transfer from Fresno State and he had a great game against Southern Oregon where he scored 18 points in the exhibition game win. Another player to watch is Randy Hunter. Hunter is a junior college from Citrus College, which happens to be where Assistant Coach Hardy Asprilla worked before he came to Humboldt State to be the # 1 assistant under Coach Kinder. Hunter athleticism and quickness helped as he got a double-double in the win over Southern Oregon with 12 points and 10 rebounds. These are two of the newcomers that had a good first impression in the exhibition game against Southern Oregon.

Humboldt State appears to be a deep team with a lot of talent on the roster. The big question will be can it gel quickly enough to make some big noise in the CCAA and in the West Region in the 2010-2011 season. Time will tell as this season progress.

Let?s look at Bethany University.

The Bruins has already gotten their season going as Bethany University enters the contest with an 0-3 record on the season with their losses coming by a margin at least 16 points in each contest. Bethany University is under the direction of first year head coach Mark Laird and he has a couple of players to keep an eye in this game. The Bruins main post player is Travis Derochowski and he will be a good matchup for Brian Morris in this game. Derochowski is 6?9?, 250 pounds and he is capable of scoring on the low block and has a double-double in a loss to Cal Baptist this season. Another player to watch is Marqus Crawford, who is a 6?1? guard that can get to the basket and score. Crawford has reached double figures in the last two games that counted in the standings for the Bruins. These are two key players to watch in this game for Bethany University.

Since this is the first game of the season, we don?t have any numbers for Humboldt State. As for Bethany University, we do not have any information on their season numbers coming into the game. If that information was available, we would provide in this section. On that note, next week, we will get some season numbers for Humboldt State and their opponent from that point forward.

Let?s go to the Keys to the Game.

1. Get the ball in the paint. Looking back at the exhibition game win over Southern Oregon, the Lumberjacks were 3 for 23 from the three point line. Let me put it this way, that is too many attempts from beyond the arc. If Humboldt State wants to be successful this season, they need to get the ball into the paint and score at well. The Lumberjacks should be able to do that against Bethany University on Saturday and if they do, they will cruise to victory.

2. Be aggressive on defense. In the last two games, Bethany University committed 22 turnovers and 18 turnovers respective in their last two losses. That is an average of 20 turnovers in the last two games. If I?m Coach Kinder, I would attack the Bruins in the backcourt and force a few turnovers which can be converted into fast break points. If the defense is clicking in this game, it will be a long day for the Bruins.

3. No mercy. I feel in this game it will be important for the Lumberjacks to set a tone for the season. It does not need to be a 50 point win. What I would like to see is hustle, focus, and determination for 40 minutes by every player who goes on the court in this game. That type of an effort would give the Lumberjacks the best opportunity to give Coach Kinder his first win as a head coach in his first game.

Now, here is the prediction. Please note, during the season, you can post your own prediction and chat it up with other Humboldt State fans on Hostboard. There will be a prediction game competition where you can make your own prediction on a variety of categories. Just follow the example below and you can be part of the fun. It is free to sign up and join Hostboard, just follow this link to discuss anything on Humboldt State basketball teams.

Humboldt State Basketball Message Board - Hostboard

On that note, here is my prediction for the game.

Score: Humboldt State 82, Bethany 59
    Scorer: Sperling 20
    Rebounder: Morris 10
    Assists: Sperling 5
    Steals: Sperling 2
    Blocks: Morris 1
    Turnovers: 16
    FG %: 43%
    3 PT FG %: 32%
    FT %: 83%
    Rebounding Margin: Humboldt + 7
    Go Jacks!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

score: Jacks 76-59
    scorer: Sperling 22
    rebounds: Morris 10
    assists: Sperling 5
    blocks: Hunter 2
    steals: Sperling 2
    turnovers - 15
    field goal % - 47%
    3 pt. % - 19%
    free throw % - 82%
    Rebouding margin: Jacks +9

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting first game for Kinder...he gets the win. Nice game by Hunter, but it was a pretty ugly win. There were many times when all five guys on the court were new to the program. It'll be interesting to see how the team grows and changes as the season goes on. Glaring stat: HSU being outrebounded by 4...can you imagine how Pomona's going to exploit that deficiency if it isn't rectified? I'm sure it will be dealt with. Also, Mr. Morris is going to have to avoid those early fouls in the first half that force him to the bench. By the way, who's our best 3-point shooter at this point by percentage???

Our prediction season begins with this one...

Official results vs. Bethany

score: Jacks 83-69
    scorer: Morris 18
    rebounds: Hunter 7
    assists: Baxter 3
    blocks: Hunter 3
    steals: Sperling, Clark, Hunter 3
    turnovers: 15
    field goal % - 44%
    3 pt. % - 27%
    free throw % - 77%
    rebounding margin: Bethany +4 (now that's a problem)

Total Prediction Points (this game)
    Jacks Fan - 6
    EDAllen17 - 5
    Super Fan - 3
    Seattle Fan -3
    Marauders - 2
    Super Mom - 2

Make sure you guys check your scores...I rush sometimes and miss points on occasion.
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Re: Jacks vs. Bethany (11/13 @ 3:30)

Clearly, the solution is to move Morris to the point and Spada to the low post . The rebounding was the ugliest but the 3 point shooting was a close second.