assists: Sperling 4
    blocks: Hunter 1
    steals: Sperling 2
    turnovers - 14
    field goal % - 49%
    3 pt. % - 35%
    free throw % - 79%
    Rebouding margin: Jacks +7
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Inactive Member Humboldt Super Fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Jacks @ Sonoma (1/2 @ 3:00)

A successful start was one of the keys to the 2010-11 season for the Humboldt State Men?s Basketball. The Lumberjacks have gotten off to a fast start and they look to complete their three game road trip with a 3-0 record before they spend most of January and the early part of February back on their home court at Lumberjack Arena. Standing in their way are the Sonoma State Seawolves. The tip off for this game is at 3:00 PM from The Wolves Den in Rohnert Park. The broadcast of the game will follow the completion of the Women?s Basketball game between Humboldt State and Sonoma State on ESPN Radio 1340 AM and it will be broadcasted on the Internet at Humboldt State University Athletics. Dan Pambianco will be on the call from courtside.

Humboldt State comes into the contest with a 5-1 record in the CCAA and 8-1 overall. The Lumberjacks defeated Cal State East Bay on Thursday afternoon by the final score of 91-69. The Lumberjacks built a double digit lead in the first half, but a tightly called first half and hot shooting by the Pioneers kept the game close. In the second half, Humboldt State was the more aggressive as they got to the line 24 times as Cal State East Bay was whistled for 16 fouls to 2 fouls for the Lumberjacks. In the end, it would be a 22 point victory for the Green and Gold.

Let?s go inside the numbers from this game.

Humboldt State:
    Team: 47.3% FG %, 38.9% 3 PT FG %, 82.1% FT %, 33 rebounds, + 8 rebounding margin, 14 assists, 15 turnovers, 9 steals, 1 block

Individual Leaders:
    Brian Morris: 23 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists.
    Ernie Spada: 4 for 6 from the three point line, 16 points
    Brandon Sperling and Randy Hunter: 14 points each

Cal State East Bay:
    Team: 52.1% FG %, 35.7% 3 PT FG %, 77.8% FT %, 25 rebounds, - 8 rebounding margin, 15 assists, 26 turnovers, 6 steals, 2 blocks.

Individual Leaders:
    Will Freedman: 16 points, 4 rebounds
    Mark Samuels: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists
    George Toyama: 11 points, 2 assists

When I look at the numbers from this game, it left me scratching my head. I am wondering how in the world did Cal State East Bay stayed in the game in the first half with 19 turnovers and trailed by four at halftime. I think the answer is that the Pioneers had some hot shooting in the first half and they got to the line 16 times in the first half. If Cal State East Bay did not shoot over 50% in the first half, then the Pioneers would have been down by at least 15 at halftime.

In the second half, after Cal State East Bay scored the first five points to open the half, Humboldt State just attacked at will in the low blocks and got to the line 24 times. I really felt that Cal State East Bay would have no answer for Brian Morris and I was right. Morris had a big game and it helped as the Lumberjacks pulled away late in the second half. It was also nice to see Ernie Spada get on track in this game. Spada has been struggling all season as his shots were not falling. This is a game that could regain the confidence for the senior from Lake Oswego, Oregon.

Overall, this was a good win despite the fact that the Lumberjacks allowed their opponent to shoot over 50% from the field. I felt the discipline by Humboldt State was a key in the second half as they committed two fouls in the entire half. It kept the Pioneers off the line and that prevented any comeback attempts when the lead grew to double digits. I feel there are a couple of adjustments that can be made on defense, but I don?t see teams shooting over 50% every night against Humboldt State.

Let?s look at the Sonoma State Seawolves.

Sonoma State comes into the contest with a 2-3 record in the CCAA and 4-5 overall. Since the first meeting back on December 11th, which Humboldt State won by the final score of 96-82, Sonoma State got a win over Cal State East Bay before the Christmas break. Then, on Thursday night, the Seawolves felt to the UC San Diego Tritons at RIMAC Arena by the final score of 73-64.

As a reminder, when we look at the Seawolves, this is a team that does not take a lot of bad shots. Sonoma State is shooting 48.4% from the field coming into the contest. However, opponents are making shots, too at a 46.7% clip from the field. It creates a lot of excitement, but it could be nerve wrecking for Head Coach Pat Fuscaldo. The Seawolves are not tall, but they are unselfish with the ball as Sonoma State is averaging 15.7 assists per game. I expect this game to be competitive down in Rohnert Park.

Let?s go inside the numbers.

Humboldt State:
    Team: 82.6 points per game, 46.4% FG %, 35.5% 3 PT FG %, 76.8% FT %, 36.2 rebounds per game, 13.6 assists per game, 14.2 turnovers per game, 8.8 steals per game, 3.3 blocks per game
    Opponents: 68.0 points per game, 45.7% FG %, 32.0% 3 PT FG %, 72.1% FT %, 29.7 rebounds per game, 12.3 assists per game, 19.6 turnovers per game, 5.0 steals per game, 2.6 blocks per game

Players to Watch:
    Brian Morris: 16.2 points per game, 7.8 rebounds per game, 54.6% FG %
    Randy Hunter: 15.8 points per game, 6.6 rebounds per game, 59.8% FG %
    Brandon Sperling: 14.9 points per game, 4.3 rebounds per game, 2.4 assists per game

Sonoma State:
    Team: 74.4 points per game, 48.4% FG %, 33.8% 3 PT FG %, 76.0% FT %, 31.1 rebounds per game, 15.7 assists per game, 13.8 turnovers per game, 5.8 steals per game, 1.9 blocks per game
    Opponents: 72.8 points per game, 46.7% FG %, 30.9% 3 PT FG %, 73.3% FT %, 31.9 rebounds per game, 12.8 assists per game, 13.8 turnovers per game, 5.7 steals per game, 2.8 blocks per game

Players to Watch:
    Ben Washington: 11.7 points per game, 2.4 rebounds per game, 50.0% FG %
    James Sandoval: 10.8 points per game, 4.8 rebounds per game, 55.2% FG %
    Sterling Arterberry: 10.3 points per game, 4.3 rebounds per game, 3.0 assists per game.

Here are the Keys to the Game.

1. Attack the low block. In the first meeting, I felt Sonoma State had no answers for defending the paint against Humboldt State. The end result was that the Lumberjacks got 40 points in the paint. Granted, Sonoma State got 36 points in the loss, but I don?t see the Seawolves containing both Randy Hunter and Brian Morris in this game.

2. Tempo. I have a feeling that Coach Fuscaldo is going to try to slow the game down in this second meeting. I thought when Sonoma State tried to run with Humboldt State, it was a bad move on the Seawolves? part. It played right into the Lumberjacks game and it proved to be too much for the Seawolves to battle back in the game. If Humboldt State is to win this game, expect the tempo to be fast and furious throughout.

3. Give the Seawolves hard looks at the basket. Sonoma State can hit the open jumper. It is shown in their field goal percentage this season. I think Humboldt State needs to find a way to give Sonoma State hard looks at the baskets. This will lead to low percentage shots which should be rebounded by the defensive team. If Humboldt State plays good fundamental team defense in this game, I think the Lumberjacks will win this game.

Here are the predictions.
    Score: Humboldt State 78, Sonoma State 65
    Scorer: Morris 22
    Rebounder: Morris 11
    Assists: Sperling 4
    Steals: Clark 2
    Blocks: Morris 1
    Turnovers: 12
    FG%: 49%
    3 PT FG %: 36%
    FT %: 78%
    Rebounding Margin: Humboldt + 5
    Go Jacks!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

score: Jacks 75-70
    scorer: Morris 18
    rebounds: Hunter 9
    assists: Sperling 4
    steals: Hunter 1
    turnovers - 14
    field goal % - 46%
    3 pt. % - 32%
    free throw % - 75%
    Rebouding margin: Jacks +4

Inactive Member Humboldt Super Fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just in case that the Keys to the Women's Basketball Game don't make to jbmathers.com in time for the game, here is a bonus set of Keys to the Game for the Women's Basketball game at Sonoma State.

The 2010 portion of the season for the Humboldt State Women?s Basketball team was a roller coaster ride for the team. There was a valley when the Lady Jacks went on a four game losing game. Now, with four straight wins, Humboldt State is back on the upward climb in the CCAA standings. The Lady Jacks will look to complete a sweep of their three game road trip as they head to Rohnert Park to take on the Sonoma State Seawolves. The tip off is scheduled for 1:00 PM with the pre game show starting at 12:40 PM on ESPN Radio 1340 AM. The game will also be broadcasted on the Internet at Humboldt State University Athletics. Dan Pambianco will provide the play by play from The Wolves Den in Rohnert Park.

As I mentioned above, the season has been a roller coaster ride for Humboldt State. After starting the season with a 1-4 record and 0-3 in the CCAA, the Lady Jacks has stormed back to win their last four games to get to 2-3 in the CCAA and 5-4 overall. Humboldt State defeated Cal State East Bay on Thursday afternoon by the final score of 64-48 in a game which the Lady Jacks trailed by 13 in the first half. A surge in the second half that was keyed by Lisa Petty and Kayla Williams got the Lady Jacks the lead and they were able to leave Hayward with the 16 point win over the Pioneers.

Let?s go inside the numbers from this game.

Humboldt State:
    Team: 45.7% FG %, 50.0% 3 PT FG %, 66.7% FT %, 28 rebounds, - 6 rebounding margin, 13 assists, 24 turnovers, 8 steals, 2 blocks

Individual Leaders:
    Lisa Petty: 7 for 10 from the field, 4 for 6 from the three point line, 18 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals
    Jeannette DeWitt: 13 points, 5 rebounds
    Jenna Hamilton: 12 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists

Cal State East Bay:
    Team: 36.2% FG %, 41.7% 3 PT FG %, 56.3% FT %, 34 rebounds, + 6 rebounding margin, 12 assists, 29 turnovers, 8 steals, 1 block

Individual Leaders:
    Sarah Finlay: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals
    Marlene MacMillan: 8 points, 5 rebounds
    Lauren Lucchesi: 7 points, 9 rebounds

This game was a story of two halves. In the first half, Cal State East Bay was hitting their shots and they were taking advantage of a flat effort by Humboldt State. I will get into that effort by the Lady Jacks in a little bit. Then, in the second half, the Lady Jacks played with more energy and passion on the court. The shots were falling for Humboldt State in the second half and the defensive effort was very good. If there was one bad sign of the game, it would be turnovers. The two teams combined for 53 turnovers in the contest and that is not a good brand of basketball that needs to be played. I expect Head Coach Joddie Gleason to address the turnover issue in this upcoming game against Sonoma State.

If that second half effort was displayed by the Lady Jacks in the first half, this game would be over at halftime. I don?t know what it is with this team. There has been multiple times this season where the Lady Jacks dig a deep hole early in the game. Then, they come back to make it a game in the second half. This trend needs to stop immediately. You can only get away with that tacit so many times before you get burned. Hopefully, the New Year will bring a new approach to the games for the Lady Jacks. This could be ending up as another form of torture for the fans. Hey, I went thru it with the San Francisco Giants last year and they won the World Series. Maybe there is a better ending for the Lady Jacks, too.

We have already examined Sonoma State once this season. Let?s look at what the Seawolves have done since the first meeting of the season back on November 27th which Sonoma State got the win by the final score of 73-65.

Sonoma State is also 2-3 in the CCAA, but the Seawolves have an overall record of 4-5 on the season. The Seawolves have been in a slump since the win they got in Lumberjack Arena as they have lost four of their last five games. On Thursday night, Sonoma State fell to UC San Diego down at RIMAC Arena by the final score of 77-55.

The lone win in the last five games was to Cal State East Bay by the final score of 60-56 in a game which the Seawolves had a 20 point lead with under nine minutes left in the game. The Pioneers would rally back to cut the Sonoma State lead to 2 with about a minute left before Aly Conway hit a jumper to help the Seawolves escape Hayward with the win.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Sonoma State is a disciplined team that likes to play more of a half court game and try to limit the number of possessions in the game. It is that reason why I was surprised by the game that was played at Lumberjack Arena back on November 27th. The Seawolves had a high shooting percentage in the game and it was helped that they scored 46 points in the paint against the Lady Jacks. A lot of those points came on dribble drives to the basket and backdoor cuts that were poorly defended by Humboldt State. I think this will be one area to watch in this game and it could have a big factor in the outcome of the game.

Let?s go inside the numbers for this game.

Humboldt State:
    Team: 73.8 points per game, 42.1% FG%, 36.5% 3 PT FG %, 64.9% FT %, 39.7 rebounds per game, 13.3 assists per game, 19.8 turnovers per game, 8.9 steals per game, 3.8 blocks per game
    Opponents: 69.1 points per game, 40.7% FG %, 34.4% 3 PT FG %, 69.6% FT %, 39.0 rebounds per game, 12.8 assists per game, 19.4 turnovers per game, 9.1 steals per game, 3.0 blocks per game

Players to Watch:
    Jeannette DeWitt: 14.1 points per game, 7.8 rebounds per game, 49.0% FG %
    Bree Halsey: 13.6 points per game, 10.6 rebounds per game, 2.0 assists per game, 51.0% FG %
    Jenna Hamilton: 11.7 points per game, 2.0 rebounds per game, 3.3 assists per game, 51.9% 3 PT FG %

Sonoma State:
    Team: 59.0 points per game, 39.4% FG %, 33.1% 3 PT FG %, 67.8% FT %, 36.3 rebounds per game, 12.8 assists per game, 20.0 turnovers per game, 7.4 steals per game, 2.4 blocks per game
    Opponents: 64.1 points per game, 41.4% FG %, 33.5% 3 PT FG %, 68.6% FT %, 34.3 rebounds per game, 13.3 assists per game, 16.4 turnovers per game, 9.6 steals per game, 2.3 blocks per game

Players to Watch:
    Jaclyn Bisordi: 11.2 points per game, 2.8 rebounds per game, 1.9 assists per game, 2.0 steals per game
    Aly Henington: 10.1 points per game, 2.6 rebounds per game
    Aly Conway: 9.6 points per game, 6.9 rebounds per game, 55.2% FG %

Here are the Keys to the Game.

1. Limit points in the paint. I mentioned that Sonoma State got 46 points in the paint in the first game at Lumberjack Arena. A lot of those points were from dribble drives to the basket and on backdoor cuts. If I?m Coach Gleason, I would play a little bit of zone to make the Seawolves beat you from the perimeter. The Seawolves got good size on the front line so I would try to make their offense more perimeter oriented in this game.

2. Conway vs. Halsey: In the first meeting, Bree Halsey had 15 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 7 turnovers. Aly Conway had 20 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 turnover. Based on the numbers and what I saw in the game, I felt Conway outplayed Halsey. I feel this is an important match up to watch in the second game down in Rohnert Park. I feel Halsey needs to play more closely to Conway to deny the jumper from 15 feet out. Conway can hit the jumper when she is open. I feel whoever can have the better game they will help their team win this game.

3. Rebounding. Sonoma State was able to out rebound Humboldt State by 12 rebounds in their last meeting back in November. This was when the Lady Jacks were struggling with rebounding early in the season. I think I have seen improvements in the last couple of weeks by the Lady Jacks. I feel it will be important to see that the rebounding margin is closer in this game in order for Humboldt State to secure the win.

Here is the prediction.

Score: Humboldt State 65, Sonoma State 58
    Scorer: DeWitt 18
    Rebounder: Halsey 10
    Assists: Hamilton 4
    Steals: Halsey 2
    Blocks: Halsey 1
    Turnovers: 17
    FG %: 43%
    3 PT FG %: 39%
    FT %: 69%
    Rebounding Margin: Sonoma State + 3
    Go Jacks!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Six players in double figures. Great game by Hunter. Bring on the Yotes on Thursday. Let's pack the arena!

Official results vs. Sonoma
    score: 86-74
    scorer: Hunter 21
    rebounds: Hunter 10
    assists: Sperling 3 (w/ 6 turnovers)
    steals: Hunter 2
    turnovers: 13
    field goal % - 49%
    3 pt. % - 38%
    free throw % - 71%
    rebounding margin: Jacks +8

Total Prediction Points (this game)
    Jacks Fan - 10
    Super Fan - 7
    Seattle Fan -7
    Where's the rest o' y'all??

Total Prediction Points (season)

[table]PARTICIPANT|POINTS|GAMES|AVG. POINTS PER GAME
    Jacks Fan|63|10|6.3
    Super Fan|56|10|5.6
    EDAllen17|30|6|5.0
    Seattle Fan|46|10|4.6
    Marauders|32|7|4.6
    Super Mom|24|6|4.0
    [/table]
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, I was out of town and away from my computer. This year is sort of a wash for me, not very familiar with these guys and just can't get into the groove. Plus with school basketball starting up we will be missing alot of games. I don't like the Thursday home games, I like the Friday/Saturday night games better, we will be missing most of the Thurs night games for the next 2 months...