assists: Baxter 4
    blocks: Hunter 1
    steals: Broome 1
    turnovers: 12
    field goal % - 43%
    3 pt. % - 31%
    free throw % - 78%
    rebounding margin: D Hills +1
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Inactive Member Humboldt Super Fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Jacks @ D Hills (1/22)

For the past month, there has been a lot of talk about Humboldt State and Cal State Dominguez Hills as they were at the top of the CCAA standings. Both teams have shown that they will be a force in the CCAA and in the West Region. Now, the #20 ranked Lumberjacks and the # 5 ranked Toros will square off for the first time this season with the first round of this battle will take place in the Torodome. The tip off for this huge showdown is tentatively scheduled for 7:30 PM with the Pre Game Show schedule to start following the completion of the Women?s Basketball game. Dan Pambianco will provide the accounts of the game from Carson.

Humboldt State comes into the contest with a 10-1 record in the CCAA and 14-1 record overall. The Lumberjacks were able to pull away late in the second half against Cal State Los Angeles to hold on for a 57-51 road win at the Eagle?s Nest. Humboldt State was without the services of Brandon Sperling for most of the contest as he was dealing with an ankle injury that was sustained last weekend against San Francisco State. However, the rest of the team would step up in his absence to hold off a feisty Golden Eagles squad.

Let?s go inside the numbers for this game.

Humboldt State:
    Team: 39.3% FG %, 31.6% 3 PT FG %, 53.8% FT %, 40 rebounds, - 2 rebounding margin, 8 assists, 10 turnovers, 3 steals, 2 blocks

Individual Leaders:
    Brian Morris: 9 for 14 from the field, 20 points, 10 rebounds
    Randy Hunter: 14 points, 8 rebounds
    Kyle Baxter: 12 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists

Cal State Los Angeles:
    Team: 32.8% FG %, 35.3% 3 PT FG %, 41.7% FT %, 42 rebounds, + 2 rebounding margin, 10 assists, 11 turnovers, 7 steals, 4 blocks

Individual Leaders:
    David Norris: 14 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists
    Carl Hoffman: 11 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks
    Chris Robinson: 10 points, 11 rebounds

When I look at this game, it was an evenly match game between two of the top teams in the CCAA. I felt one of the keys to the win was the ability that Humboldt State was able to hang around in the first half as Brian Morris, Randy Hunter, and Kyle Baxter scored all of the first half points for the Lumberjacks. When Elliot Babcock-Krenk was able to find his shot in the second half, it took some of the pressure off of Morris, Hunter, and Baxter. The contribution from Babcock-Krenk was the key to get Humboldt State over the hump.

It also helped that Cal State Los Angeles went 1 for 7 from the free throw line in the second half. I mentioned in the Keys that free throw shooting would be a factor in the game and it was a big factor in the second half for the Golden Eagles. If they hit a couple of free throws, I think this game could have come down to a final possession.

This is a good win for Humboldt State. Now, the big test stands before the Lumberjacks as the top spot in the CCAA and possibly in the West Region will be on the line in the Torodome. The first regional rankings come out on Wednesday so this game will have a huge impact on the race for the # 1 seed in the West.

Let?s look at the Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros.

Cal State Dominguez Hills, who is ranked # 5 in the nation in the latest NABC poll (it is their highest ranking in the national poll since 1981), comes into the contest with an identical 10-1 record in the CCAA and 14-1 overall. The Toros defeated Sonoma State at home on Friday night by the final score of 84-72. Cal State Dominguez Hills was able to build a 19 point second half lead before Seawolves came back to within 8 in the final minutes before the Toros locked up the 12 point win.

When I look at the Toros, they are a veteran team with 8 players back from last year?s team and they are hungry to bring some success to the school in the south part of Los Angeles. Cal State Dominguez Hills is a big, deep team that is quick and athletic on both ends of the court.

If you thought Cal State Los Angeles would be a challenge on the defensive end of the court, then Cal State Dominguez Hills would be the equivalent of going from the frying pan to the fire. The Toros came into this game as the # 3 ranked team in the nation in scoring defense as they hold their opponents to 56.5 points per game. Cal State Dominguez Hills forces their opponents to take bad shots as they have the # 1 field goal defense in the country as the opposition shoots 35.6% from the field this season. The Toros also have a little more scoring capability than the Golden Eagles. When you add it together, there are a few experts who think that Cal State Dominguez Hills could be the best team from the West Region in many years. This has the making of a great game in Carson.

Let?s go inside the numbers. Please note, these numbers are before the games that took place this weekend.

Humboldt State:
    Team: 82.2 points per game, 47.9% FG %, 34.8% 3 PT FG %, 77.3% FT %, 35.9 rebounds per game, 14.1 assists per game, 13.4 turnovers per game, 7.5 steals per game, 2.6 blocks per game
    Opponents: 68.3 points per game, 45.6% FG %, 33.8% 3 PT FG %, 68.9% FT %, 29.1 rebounds per game, 12.5 assists per game, 16.9 turnovers per game, 4.9 steals per game, 2.0 blocks per game

Players to Watch:
    Brian Morris: 19.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 58.5% FG %
    Randy Hunter: 15.4 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 55.2% FG %
    Brandon Sperling: 13.5 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 3.4 apg

Cal State Dominguez Hills:
    Team: 66.6 points per game, 45.9% FG %, 37.9% 3 PT FG %, 71.0% FT %, 38.9 rebounds per game, 11.2 assists per game, 15.7 turnovers per game, 6.5 steals per game, 3.4 blocks per game
    Opponents: 56.5 points per game, 35.6% FG %, 29.1% 3 PT FG %, 68.6% FT %, 30.1 rebounds per game, 10.6 assists per game, 15.5 turnovers per game, 7.5 steals per game, 1.9 blocks per game

Players to Watch:
    Michael Cox: 11.6 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 56.7% FG %
    Marcquintice Davis: 11.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 4.4 apg
    Zareh Zargayan: 11.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg

Here are the Keys to the Game.

1. Balance scoring throughout the team. When I look back at the win over Cal State Los Angeles, I saw that five players for Humboldt State scored in the game. It may work against the Golden Eagles, but against a deeper and talented Cal State Dominguez Hills team, it could be big trouble for Humboldt State. I feel the Lumberjacks need to get around seven players in the scoring column in order to win this game.

2. Brian Morris vs. Michael Cox. This will be an interesting match up to watch throughout the game. I feel these two players will be in the hunt for both CCAA Player of the Year and West Region Player of the Year. Cox played last weekend to get some rhythm back into his game and in the game against Sonoma State, he started and scored 12 points in the win. Morris has been playing well as of late, but an injury in practice has the coaching staff for the Lumberjack concern. Morris was able to be productive against the Golden Eagles. I feel the player who has the better night between these two stars will help their team in getting the win.

3. Shot selection. Looking at the numbers from the lone loss by the Toros this season, the Coyotes forced Cal State Dominguez Hills to take tough shots especially in the second half. The Toros were 1 for 14 from the three point line in that game. I think it will be important for Humboldt State to make Cal State Dominguez Hills take low percentage shots and to limit the Toros to one shot per possession. I have a feeling this will be another defensive battle and if Humboldt State can show that they are willing to bring it on the defensive end of the court, then I think the Lumberjacks will have a shot to win this game.

Here is the prediction.
    Score: Humboldt State 64, Cal State Dominguez Hills 61
    Scorer: Morris 22
    Rebounder: Morris 11
    Assists: Baxter 4
    Steals: Broome 1
    Blocks: Hunter 1
    Turnovers: 12
    FG %: 39%
    3 PT FG %: 35%
    FT %: 79%
    Rebounding Margin: Even
    Go Jacks!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think the biggest key is KBax running the point, as Sperling is unlikely get much, if any, PT because of that ankle. Having Baxter at the point could be a major ADVANTAGE for HSU as no team has seen tape w/ him there and his size at that position is a mismatch.

Depth is the other obvious key. D Hills will probably try to use its depth to tire HSU as the game goes on. Will HSU be able to play 40 minutes despite its lack of depth?

I agree about the scoring as another important key. The Jacks must have someone other than Morris, Hunter and Baxter step up and have a good game to have a shot tonight, and w/o Sperling as an option, it'll have to be EBK, Spada, Clark or someone else knocking down some 3's and extending the Toro defense so Morris and Hunter can do their thing more easily in the post.

Go Jacks!
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

score: Jacks 65-62
    scorer: Morris 20
    rebounds: Morris 10
    assists: Baxter 3
    blocks: Baxter 1
    steals: Spada 1
    turnovers: 11
    field goal % - 43%
    3 pt. % - 35%
    free throw % - 77%
    rebounding margin: HSU +2

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

score: Jacks 66-64
    scorer: Morris 19
    rebounds: Morris 10
    assists: Baxter 4
    blocks: Morris 1
    steals: Broome 2
    turnovers: 10
    field goal % - 48%
    3 pt. % - 35%
    free throw % - 80%
    rebounding margin: Even

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

score: Jacks 64-63
    scorer: Hunter 18
    rebounds: Morris 9
    assists: EBK 3
    blocks: Hunter 1
    steals: Broome 1
    turnovers: 14
    field goal % - 44%
    3 pt. % - 36%
    free throw % - 76%
    rebounding margin: D Hills +4

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Official results vs. D Hills
    score: D Hills 76-59
    scorer: Hunter 16
    rebounds: Hunter 10
    assists: Broome 4
    blocks: Morris 1
    steals: Broome 3
    turnovers: 7
    field goal % - 37%
    3 pt. % - 25%
    free throw % - 54%
    rebounding margin: D Hills +7

Total Prediction Points (this game)
    Seattle Fan - 4
    Super Fan - 2
    Super Mom - 2
    Jacks Fan - 1
    Marauders - 0
    Total Prediction Points (season)

[table]PARTICIPANT|POINTS|GAMES|AVG. POINTS PER GAME
    Jacks Fan|99|16|6.2
    Super Fan|91|16|5.7
    Marauders|64|13|4.9
    Super Mom|56|12|4.7
    Seattle Fan|75|16|4.7
    EDAllen17|30|6|5.0
    [/table]