Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Jacks @ Pomona (2/11)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksfan View Post
    I'm not. I agree w/ Super Fan...you can't win 20 games every year, especially when some teams are just flat better. This is a transition year. I'd expect the ladies to have a better season next year. Heck, prior to the arrival of the Gleasons, when was the last time the ladies had a winning season? I don't know the answer...Super Fan probably does.

Success breeds success, but it also creates much higher expectations as we're seeing here. I think we need to be careful not to get too carried away w/ those expectations and remain understanding, realistic, and look at the bigger picture. I am happy the Gleasons are coaching the ladies. When you start seeing massive defections from the program, players failing their classes, and multiple 20 loss seasons, then let's talk. A loss on the home court of an opponent that is better is nothing to worry about, IMO.
    In fact, I do have that answer. When we had Pam Martin and to follow Carol Harrison as the head coaches of the the Lady Jacks before Joddie Gleason arrive at Humboldt State, there was some good season, but there was only one great season back in 1994-95 when the Lady Jacks made it to the West Regional for the first time in the program history.

However, after Humboldt State left the Northern California Athletic Conference, the program went downhill very quickly. You had players quit the team. Shoot, we had the Freshmen of the Year twice in a two year stretch in Heather Garey and Becky Lutes and they both go to Cal State Bakersfield and win a West Regional title there. Imagine what the program would be like had Joddie Gleason been there at that time. We could have the success at the level of the men's team or close to it.

Personally, I think Joddie Gleason has done a good job with the program. She has gotten the Lady Jacks to the West Regional three times in six years and they won a game on two occasions. That is way more than what happened before Coach Gleason came to Humboldt State.

Remember this point, when Coach Gleason took over the program in her first year, she took a team that was mostly in place by the prior coaches and took the program from 4 wins to 12 wins. Then, the next year, most of those players made it to the West Regionals. That is good coaching at work. I will say that Coach Gleason have enough in the bank in my book to have a rebuilding year.
    Go Jacks!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with Super Fan and Jacksfan regarding the women's team. We need to reflect back on the prior women's coach to appreciate the Gleason's effort.

Also, I think it is time to give some props to the super job Kinder and Asprilla have done with the men's team. I don't think anyone expected a 19-2 record at this point in the season. They have done a great job merging veterans and juco transfers. Last nights win at Pomona was a tough, gutty effort.

Hey Jacksfan, I don't mean to complain but could you check my points for last nights game. I think you shorted me a point and I need every one I can get to escape the celler.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're right...I forgot to give the point for hitting the Jacks' point total right on. Too bad you didn't nail the game score perfectly.
    [I][B]"It's cute how they have Pack the Gym night. Up here, we just call that Saturday."[/B] - PosseBoy[/I]
    [B][I] "(Humboldt) is a college basketball atmosphere."[/B] - Scott Mossman, GCU coach[/I]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12