Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, the Draft Lottery completely messes with my start up strategy. It's something that should have been addressed before any draft picks were moved I would think.

I'm generaly not one to complain - but this change would set me back 3-4 years worth of development. I'd be into my second sub before I'd have a chance to compete, or even start competeing.

Worst gets first best gets last, what doesn't make sense?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What, your strategy involved deliberate tanking, did it? The problem is that it's not always worst which gets first. It's often the most dedicated tanker.

Under the NBA model, the team with the worst record still has the best chance of getting the first pick, and can pick no lower than fourth. But there's nothing worse than watching two or three teams with four wins benching guys and starting their worst players in order to try and lost to each other and secure the guaranteed first pick.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Grendel, I think you hold a number of future draft picks. A lottery could work as much in your favour as against.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

after reading the discussion, I change my vote to going 6 rounds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd like to go 6 rounds of the draft ONLY if the draft proceeds at a reasonable pace. If each owner has 48 hours to make their pick, and if we have 6 rounds of 32 picks each, we could conceivably still be drafting over a year from now.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. 48 hours is to much time ... we want this to start in 05' not 06'

2. The draft lottery if done right and voted to be part of the league wouldnt happen until the end of the first season.

3. The draft lotter ... blah blah ... would be just like the NBA. Due to our league having more teams than the NBA our draft lottery would have I think 10-13 teams in it.

Everyone after that magic number picks according to their final standings (w/l) ... the worst team still has the best chance of getting the #1 pick however any of the 10-13 teams has some chance at it.

Most likely what would happen is the top five worst teams would swap places prob. ....

It adds to the league and gives something to do while the playoffs are going on plus it keeps tankers at bay and adds something to trading draft picks.

Lets say i offer you a pick in 2001 and i end up being the 10th worst team but in the lottery i get the #1 pick ... well now its yours

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stumps, My strategy involved Deliberate trades for future first round poicks. With that I am more then willing to except the variable of how that team I traded performs, but you expect me to then add to it a random factor?

NO.

There is no way shape or form that a lottery will discourage Tanking. The only thing it will do is eventualy rob a desreving team of it's draft pick and hand it to a tanker. Does a tema that is already failrly decemnt really care if they get the 3rd or the 7th pick? will that pick make a differance to the talent poor team wth the worst record?

If you want to stop deliberate tanking then go to the source - do not adjust the results to try and disuade them, it ain't gonna work like that. Stumps you would have still tanked in L31 if it was 1st or 5th.

Adding a random element to it will do nothing but rob a team that is deserveing eventauly - odds will come around to a tanker getting a better pick then they should and the worst talented team ending up screwed in time.

If we need a random factor - why don't we take the top player form every team and have a lottery of them each season? why not?
    shuffle things around a bit.

makes as much sense as believeing that adding a random factor will do anything to remove the "dreded tanker".

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by GrendelKhan:
    Stumps, My strategy involved Deliberate trades for future first round poicks. With that I am more then willing to except the variable of how that team I traded performs, but you expect me to then add to it a random factor?

NO.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">How is a random factor going to hurt you? Some of your picks would end up better than the record suggests, and others would end up worse. The odds balance out exactly.

There is no way shape or form that a lottery will discourage Tanking.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">It has to an extent in the NBA. And the 2-55 owner playing the other 2-55 owner is not going to be so deadset on making sure he loses if he's still got a pretty good chance of getting the top pick even if he wins.

The only thing it will do is eventualy rob a desreving team of it's draft pick and hand it to a tanker.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">Eh? And that's not happening already? Tankers aren't robbing genuinely bad teams of high picks?

Does a tema that is already failrly decemnt really care if they get the 3rd or the 7th pick?
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">If they're fairly decent, why are they finishing third last or seventh last?

will that pick make a differance to the talent poor team wth the worst record?
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">Who says they are talent poor? Maybe they just tanked to high hell.

If you want to stop deliberate tanking then go to the source - do not adjust the results to try and disuade them, it ain't gonna work like that. Stumps you would have still tanked in L31 if it was 1st or 5th.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">Oh, so I tanked, did I? If you actually believe that, then you must think that I robbed a more deserving team of the top pick. Gosh, if there was a lottery, at least that more deserving team would have had a chance of getting it still.

Adding a random element to it will do nothing but rob a team that is deserveing eventauly - odds will come around to a tanker getting a better pick then they should and the worst talented team ending up screwed in time.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">I have no idea where you are getting this from. The lottery is designed to stop the tankers from winning fewer games than the teams with bad players but that are at least trying. Right now, the genuinely sucky teams are plugging away and getting maybe 8-10 wins, while a team with a better roster deliberately loses all but four games and gazumps them for the first pick. The idea is to encourage bad teams to at least still try to win without thinking that it will completely eliminate their chances of getting a decent draft pick.

If we need a random factor - why don't we take the top player form every team and have a lottery of them each season? why not?
    shuffle things around a bit.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">How does this in any way equate to my suggestion?

makes as much sense as believeing that adding a random factor will do anything to remove the "dreded tanker".
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">No, I'm afraid it doesn't.

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ January 13, 2005 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Stumps ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would personally love to have more rounds. but im also realizing it would mean more work for scott. i have no preference between the 2 ways honestly. although with more rounds it would allow teams to really mold their team quite a bit more

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The only reason anyone would wnat Lottery is because they would like a shot at a better pick and are willing to take the chance at recieving a worse pick for that chance.

It isn't going to disuade Tankers. If anything it will create more last minute tankers... (if you slip to 21st you now have a 1-500 chance of receiveing the first pick. so throwing a few games at the end of the seaosn could land you a better pick - while you help determine the play-off scenario...

No Thanks.

There is no evidence that a lottery would reduce Tankers. So don't even try to sell me on that one. I have a sound reason for not wanting a Lottery - first a talent poor team WILL eventualy get robbed of it's pick, that can't be argued.

And my personnel reason - why would I wnat an extra factor added to deals that I have already made? I see no one lining up saying - Yeah I think it's a great idea to throw all the top talent into a lottery every season. Why is that? because no one wantrs to put the fate of their team into that kind of test of luck.

If Tankers are an Issue - deal directly with Tankers. Don't change something that is concrete into a variable thinking that will have any effect on Tankers. Especially after we have alreday began dealing and trading with each other.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast