Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stumps, you sold me....

well not even close.

Not bothering really. This is a change AFTER the TRADES hads alreday started. It will alter , Good or bad it doesn't matter - it alters trades that have already happened. Not only that it GREATLY will influence strategies that had been planned Before any ideas about making changes happened.

out of the blue , let's add extra rounds to the draft. WHY? well, because this is a new league about being different. So let's be different. Regradless to if the majority of trades coudl have been made with spechic boundaries having been set.

I know I traded with the UNDERSTANDING that there would be 4 rounds of drafts followed by a Free agent signing period. if halfway through the trading process you WILLY-NILLY decide, hey, we need this league to take 6 months to start, why don't we draft for 6 rounds? That greatly affects picks already traded.

You guys are all smart, you can see how that would change things. I don't want to get into speciffics because quite a bit of it involves my starting strategy. Which the smarter ones amoungst you should already have a good clue to.

So beyond just the time element it'self, the raw screw-over factor is huge. Adding 2 more rounds of Drafting would hurt me Straight up. And that I have no problem decalring. I lan on making good in Free agency - Anyone who will leave the draft with as much cap room as I should have after DRAFTING ONLY 2 PLAYERS IN THE SECOND should.

Now let's get back to the other "Pet project" going aorund - Draft Lottery. Ain't nothing but a chance for a little team to lose it's pick. That's it, nothing else. But I guess in the spirit of "trying new things" - that's cool and fine.

SOme of you don't understand why I should wnat to add a random factor that "could help me as much as hurt me" into ALREADY COMPLETED TRADES. plain and simple. Alreday thought out, alreday planned I have my expectations. I have no desire to add yet another variabhle to WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN A DONE DEAL. Trading for future draft picks always adds an element of X being factored in. Why should I think adding yet a Y factor to it is in my best interest? No thank you. When you trade for a player there isn't a random factor that kicks in and alters their ability once the are recieved by you. Let's leave Drafts alone as what they are.

Besides, if you have been paying attention, believe me, I expect to be hurt by a Draft Lottery more then soemone who has multiple first round picks...

Why don't we go with the draft lottery, and then take the bottom 4 teams and they each get to pick one player from the top 4 teams? sounds like a great idea doesn't it?

I didn't think so.

-- If only for the fact of not wnating a poor tema screwed over, I'd be against the Lottery. But I admit I have previous plans that I don't need any extra influences affecting.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The only way a lottery could hurt your current plans is if you figured you were going to be guarnteed the worst four teams. There are no done deals - because those teams that you did trades with don't even know who their players are yet. You cannot gauge where they will end up in the draft - or for that matter where you will end up. Besides any change - any time - will impact trades of some kind. When you make a future trade it will be impacted by forces beyond your control. If you make a trade with my team (which we will say looks like a lock for the ninth pick) and then I make a trade with another team that leans greatly my way - that impacts your trade for my pick. Trades for future picks equal risk.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by GrendelKhan:
    So let's be different. Regradless to if the majority of trades coudl have been made with spechic boundaries having been set.

I know I traded with the UNDERSTANDING that there would be 4 rounds of drafts followed by a Free agent signing period. if halfway through the trading process you WILLY-NILLY decide, hey, we need this league to take 6 months to start, why don't we draft for 6 rounds? That greatly affects picks already traded.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">No specific boundaries have been set yet - none ever are (as I said above).

These choices are not being made "willy-nilly", either. Rather they are being presented to the league as a whole as an option to be voted on.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You guys are all smart, you can see how that would change things. I don't want to get into speciffics because quite a bit of it involves my starting strategy. Which the smarter ones amoungst you should already have a good clue to.

So beyond just the time element it'self, the raw screw-over factor is huge. Adding 2 more rounds of Drafting would hurt me Straight up. And that I have no problem decalring. I lan on making good in Free agency - Anyone who will leave the draft with as much cap room as I should have after DRAFTING ONLY 2 PLAYERS IN THE SECOND should.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">I've got no problem with your logic here, Grendel. I can see why changing the number of rounds in the draft could hurt people who've already made plans, and I haven't supported it for that very reason. You might recall that my argument was purely about the draft lottery.

SOme of you don't understand why I should wnat to add a random factor that "could help me as much as hurt me" into ALREADY COMPLETED TRADES. plain and simple. Alreday thought out, alreday planned I have my expectations. I have no desire to add yet another variabhle to WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN A DONE DEAL. Trading for future draft picks always adds an element of X being factored in. Why should I think adding yet a Y factor to it is in my best interest? No thank you. When you trade for a player there isn't a random factor that kicks in and alters their ability once the are recieved by you. Let's leave Drafts alone as what they are.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">This would be a valid analogy if you traded your pick with somebody on Day 59 of the season, knowing you would be getting pick number x, and then suddenly somebody came in and decided that there should be a lottery. But the fact is, lottery or no lottery, there are going to be many random factors which will influence the future draft picks you've traded for.

Why don't we go with the draft lottery, and then take the bottom 4 teams and they each get to pick one player from the top 4 teams? sounds like a great idea doesn't it?
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">Explain to me how this is in the slightest bit an appropriate comparison.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is a change AFTER the TRADES hads alreday started. It will alter , Good or bad it doesn't matter - it alters trades that have already happened. Not only that it GREATLY will influence strategies that had been planned Before any ideas about making changes happened.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">You argue that we shouldn't be making changes to the game that might affect someone's strategy or decisions they've already made. Essentially you're saying that if one person had a plan that would be affected by a rule change, then it shouldn't be allowed. Followed to its logical conclusion, this means that there will never be any rule changes in the league. Even something like changing from a 7 game series to 5 game series could conceivably affect someone's strategy.

I understand that you don't want a lottery, but your arguments are absurd in a league where one of the main ideas was to do things differently. Some of the changes will be good, others bad, but there will be changes whenever the majority wants them.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Chaneg just for change's sake is the only chant I am hearing...

Even though I have heard nothing showing how a Lottery adds any competition to the league.

-- The last team spicking players form the first teams? why that's a novel new IDea , and it's different, why don't we jump on that one too?

Because it doesn't hurt the worst... It hurts the top. Hmmmm that could be the reason.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

-- The last team spicking players form the first teams? why that's a novel new IDea , and it's different, why don't we jump on that one too?

Because it doesn't hurt the worst... It hurts the top. Hmmmm that could be the reason.
    <font size="2" face="Sylfaen, Verdana, Helvetica">No, we don't jump on it because:

- it has no real-life parallel
    - it would encourage tanking more than anything
    - it's a fatally negative play experience for the teams who lose their player
    - you haven't proposed any workable mechanics for it

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678